Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Is it good to upgrade to park hopper ticket?

We are thinking of staying at WDW for 5 days or so and package includes basic ticket of one park per day. Is it good to spend the extra to upgrade to the park hopper?

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Re: Is it good to upgrade to park hopper ticket?

I say yes. If you are staying on property, the parks offering Evening Extra Magic Hours tend to be more crowded during the day, but then thin out at night. You can skip that park during the day and then go enjoy the "extra" hours.

The "extra" hours are offered at the expense of keeping the parks open later. Depending on what time of year you go, you might find yourself out of the parks as early as 6:00 PM.

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

In my previous numerous trips I've always done park hopper passes but I know when traveling with a toddler that it isn't always the best option as it jacks up your park ticket price and you pretty much never really get much use out of it.

Usually it's best to stick to one park per day to take it all in as much as you can and just leave it at that. Example, Animal Kingdom always closes early. As does Hollywood Studios. This gives you plenty of time to return back to your hotel early without trying to rush over to Epcot or MK for their later hours.

You can just head straight back to your hotel and relax, get a good night's sleep, hit the parks when they open and put in alot of day hours into your park before you head back to the resort to let your kid rest.

Park hoppers are great when its just adults who can handle jumping park to park over and over on numerous days but if you really only do it for one day i'd skip it.

Plus let's say AK/HS closes early, well this gives you dinner options at another resort hotel. Let's say the Grand Floridian or the Polynesian, once early dinner ends, i recommend early dinner, so later you can tour the resort, check out the beaches, docks and catch out MK fireworks from the deluxe resorts. Trust me, you won't be the only ones watching the fireworks after dinner, loads of people will be doing the same thing you are and enjoying a relaxing evening at a resort hotel.

Then you just grab a boat to the MK buses and head back to your hotel if your hotel is not one of the resorts near MK. Also, Downtown Disney is another option but then again I never go to Downtown Disney at night, okay, only once to see that Circus show but then we went straight home after that. That's another great option that you can use your saved park hopper money on.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Keep in mind, that I believe it is about $50, per ticket, to add park hopping to your park passes.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• Disneyholic

I think it is personally since we do do tend to park hop at least once each trip. (last trip I did 3 parks/day on two different days but mostly because I was meeting up with different folks) A good example of how I usually use it is we do Animal Kingdom in the morning, and then hop to Epcot or MK for dinner and the fireworks at night. With Fantasmic! showing only on select nights and those days tend to be very busy in that park I typically tell folks to do a different park in the daytime and head over to DHS late afternoon/early evening to see the show and do the main attractions on a different day.

Bottom line it offers flexibility.
    Last edited by Jerren; 02-11-2009 at 09:39 AM. Reason: verified you cannot reuse a non PH ticket on same day in different park.
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

• Hello there

Blog Entries

I think it is an indivudual choice. We always used to upgrade to park hopper and park hopped constantly. It was such a great featuire and I was able to get the most out of the parks. But now that I travel with my son, who is currently 2, I don't do it anymore. It is too much on him. I schedule it 1 park each day and save the money on the park hopping.
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I was always told that you could not take two days off the same ticket in an individual day. By this, I mean: You have a 10 day ticket, without parkhopping. You go to Magic Kingdom in the morning, and they take a day off your ticket. If you want to go to Epcot in the evening, and try and enter that park your ticket would be rejected, because it would show that you used your ticket for that day. Of course, I have never tried to do this.

I am presently debating as to whether I want to pay the additional money to buy parkhopper tickets for my up and coming trip in August. I am traveling with 3 other people, so I think that parkhopping might give us more flexibility, since we probably are going to be doing a lot of separate touring, and meeting up some time during the day.
    Pop Century Resort

• Disneyholic

You are correct, I was told you could do it once but have not tried it personally. (AP holder now and before that we just always purchased the park hoppers as a rule.) I think the confusion is from folks who bought the old tickets that had the photo of the holder and places to stamp it for dates used back in the early 90's before they had the Biometrics could do it that way if the CM was not paying attention to the date on the tickets. Seems to be a lot of confusion around that on the boards and elsewhere. (sorry to add to it)

The only way to park hop is the following:

• Park hopper option on your MYW ticket.
    • Purchase a second separate MYW ticket or reuse a second ticket from a previous trip that had the no expiration option on it. (expensive option)
    • Buy an AP which allows you to park hop your heart out. (and save money on room, dining, tours, merch, etc. but expensive option at $450/person if you don't go often enough to make good use of it.)
    • Have a friend or family member who work for Disney at one of the parks walk you into the park they work at.

Best option, pay the $50/person for the park hopper option on your MYW ticket. .
    Last edited by Jerren; 02-11-2009 at 09:50 AM.
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

• I'll Break your Thumbs!!

Quote Originally Posted by janmom View Post
    We are thinking of staying at WDW for 5 days or so and package includes basic ticket of one park per day. Is it good to spend the extra to upgrade to the park hopper?
    YES!!

I always make sure I get a park hopper with no expiration!!! I figure if Idont use all 5 days (or however many days the ticket is for), I know I can go back in like 10yrs with the same ticket, because it never expires!!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Adding the no expiration feature is not inexpensive. I can see purchasing a few more days on a pass, because you are not exactly sure how many days you will be going, but paying for days in advance does not always fit into a person's budget. Of course the folks at Disney like us to have remaining days on our passes, so we will book another stay at their hotels.
    Pop Century Resort

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    Adding the no expiration feature is not inexpensive. I can see purchasing a few more days on a pass, because you are not exactly sure how many days you will be going, but paying for days in advance does not always fit into a person's budget. Of course the folks at Disney like us to have remaining days on our passes, so we will book another stay at their hotels.
    Which you will do anyway, right?

I think no-expiration works best when you can fit two separate trips within the maximum amount of days you can buy. So, if you can buy ten days, and you will go five days and then five other days in a year or two, then certainly. The first day is always the most expensive, if one allocates according to the listed prices.
    One extra day on a ticket? So what? You still have to buy another set of tickets. Save a few bucks? And remember where those tickets are?

So, for OP: if you plan to buy parkhoppers, then you should definitely plan to parkhop. And not just one day, but at least three or four days. Plan your parkhop around dinnertime or the naptime at the hotel. Maybe you'll choose a hotel restaurant that's on the way instead of a park restaurant.
    Here's what we've done for six-seven day trips:
    1. Go to each park for a day each. AK is last.
    2. On AK day, go to MK afterward.
    3. Go to EPCOT in morning on Day 5 to see what we missed the first time around; go to Studios afterward.
    4. Go to AK again on day 6, see what we missed (lots of shows, hard to squeeze them in with the attractions and the animals), go to MK at night again.

The interesting thing about parkhopping is that the parks feel different at night than in the daytime, but it's hard to notice the change if you're there all day.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I am just not a big fan of giving Disney my money ahead of time. It's like buying the dining plan, and paying for my meals ahead of time. I like to keep my expenses down, not increase them.
    Pop Century Resort

I was just there for 10 days in December with a Park Hopper and I didn't use it once. I don't think it is neccasary. But I would wait and add it to the tickets when you are there if you want to hop, no need to pay in advance.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

A 10 day Parkhopper with no expiration costs in the neighborhood of about $500. That averages out to about $50 a day. I realize that you can use those days anytime in the future. However, a 10 day parkhopper without the no expiration feature is in the neighborhood of $300. That's an average of $30 a day, even if you don't use, and lose a few of those days. I am usually traveling, and paying for more than one ticket, so a $200 per ticket saving is well worth it to me. I just think that the "no expiration" feature sounds like a good deal, but it is raising the "daily cost" of your vacation by quite a lot.
    Pop Century Resort

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    I was always told that you could not take two days off the same ticket in an individual day.
    I just read on another site from someone who works in ticket sales at WDW that they do indeed track which park you've been in on any given day. While you can re-enter that park on that day, the computer will flag your ticket if you try to go to another park that day. It will be rejected at the gate.

I always have to have park hopping for 2 reasons. The first is that I like to head back to my hotel room mid-day for a nice little old guy nap. Then I can hit any park of my choice for the evening, rested and ready to party till closing.

The other reason is that I just can't stand the thought of doing say DAK, getting to park closing at 5pm, and then not having the right to continue to park storm into the evening. Of course I could find other things to do. But I really enjoy staying in one of the parks till well into the evening. Park hopping allows me to do this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast