Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Pilot EdForceOne

Re: Coming soon: High speed rail to WDW

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    Wasting that amount of money from the stimulus... can't that go to better things?
    The stimulus package isn't about smart spending.. its about spending on anything period hoping it causes the money to goto workers.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeland View Post
    There was a plan in 2000 for them to build this, but it was dropped in 2004. I believe the companies that complained were not Mears, but the other Central Florida attractions that also wanted stops in their properties.

I don't think this will ever get off the ground.
    The issue had to do with access to rail lines. Disney was willing to help finance and give land usage so long as the Orlando stop, the only Orlando stop, was on Disney property.

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    1.5 million? I think the really horribly written Fox Orlando article mean 1.5 BILLION. But the stimulus bill only had 2 billion total from the last references I can find. Plus.. Florida is competing with other waiting rail projects.
    Last I heard the allocation for high speed rail has been quadrupled to $8 billion.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdshiftCM View Post
    Monorails need the more costly beam system, rail is cheaper.

I may get flack for this but I don't think the monorail system would be the best idea for mass transit at WDW.
    The bus system may be old, clunky and sometimes really slow but, it's also more reliable.
    A broken down bus dosen't cut off the entire system.

Actually, it depends. You can read ALOT of information that states a monorail bean is the cheaper option. You only have to distrupt the ground where the pole is going to be inserted. For a railroad you have to re grade ground, level it out, entrench it etc etc. A railroad designed to support the needs and forces of a high speed train is definately more expensive. Google Amtrak's Acela for more information. Acale is American's closet representative of what we would think of as High Speed Trains. It can only travel at its highest speeds were the tracks have upgraded to support this. Compare per mile contruction costs of Acale to Las Vegas Monorail and you see the Monorail beam was easily cheaper. A class mate's report was done on this and he claimed it was cheaper then even the light rail projects of Phoenix Arizona and some other places a I don't recall. I didn't take notes on his presentation so sorry I can't find the numbers but professor didn't have any strong counter points.

Regardless, A high speed rail form the airport to WDW????? Seriously? WHY??? Rail of some sort sure... but back in the day, you wouldn't fly the Concord from Miami to Orlando. Rail is a good idea, HIGH speed rail would not be in as short of a distance as the Airport is from WDW.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Kidgenie View Post
    Actually, it depends. You can read ALOT of information that states a monorail bean is the cheaper option. You only have to distrupt the ground where the pole is going to be inserted. For a railroad you have to re grade ground, level it out, entrench it etc etc.
    You still need to clear the area where the beam will go.. and you'd grade it down for service and installation anyways. Plus, the support needed for beams would be much more significant then a distributed load like a road bed.

Compare per mile contruction costs of Acale to Las Vegas Monorail and you see the Monorail beam was easily cheaper.
    Except the monorail isn't a worthwhile comparison.. because the LV monorail can't even compare to a regional commuter train's speed or capacity.. let alone that of a high speed train. Your offering a comparison that doesn't do the job.. so its pretty pointless. Building my driveway is cheaper then building a highway of the same size. Yet my driveway can't do the job of the highway.

The Acela's cost also was to install it in the oldest train corridor in the United States .. while it was still in use.

Quote Originally Posted by Kidgenie View Post
    Regardless, A high speed rail form the airport to WDW????? Seriously? WHY???
    Because its not true. The OP is off base.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12