Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Coming soon: High speed rail to WDW

Fox news in Orlando is reporting that Florida might be getting high speed rail line from the Orlando Airport to WDW, with a possibility of extending it on to Miami and Tampa.

Where is the money coming from to finance it? Obama's stimulus package.

For the full story, read below:

- Local leaders are already working on bringing a commuter rail to Central Florida.

Now the Sunshine State is competing against 10 other states to bring Floridians a high speed rail.

The best part is it won't cost you a dime.

Thats because the stimulus money would not require a local match.
    We were looking for commuter rail. We might end up with high speed rail, said Orange County Commissioner Bill Segal. Its follow the money when the federal government offers money you take it.

Commissioner Segal has been in support of the rail projects.

The commuter rail will be funded by $1.5 million dollars of federal money but now Central Florida is in a good position to grab an even bigger chunk of federal dough through the stimulus package. That money would go to build the high speed rail.

They have to move fast and beat out other states.

Segal believes Florida is ahead of the game because Orange County has already done studies on environmental impact and roadway alignments.
    The high speed rail would trace the Beachline from Orlando International Airport to Orange County Convention Center and then to Walt Disney World.

Its a small area to start but it could expand to Miami and Tampa.
    Commissioner Segal wants the Orange County Commissioners to be briefed on the high speed rail project. Once that happens the Florida high speed rail authority will make its move to find a vendor.
    Story can be found at High speed rail for Cent. Florida part of stimulus
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• Disneyholic

Re: Coming soon: High speed rail to WDW

They've been trying for that for a while now, makes sense and would cut down a lot of traffic on I4, but I think Mears will find a way to shoot it down. They stand to loose way too much money from running the DME, their own motor coaches, taxi's and limos in the area.
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

• I'll Break your Thumbs!!

Its like a 25min ride from the airport to WDW (if you rent a car). What's the point of spending the extra money on a high speed rail line??

That doesn't make sense!!!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

If they expand it to the rest of the state I'm all for it. I'd rather hop a train to WDW than drive over any day.

• Done with MC.

The numbers dont add up. 1.5 million is less than 1% of what a project like that would cost.

• Surfin the net with Duffy

I don't see it happening, but I hope because I hate Mears lol!

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

• When Will It Return?

Quote Originally Posted by Parisi View Post
    Its like a 25min ride from the airport to WDW (if you rent a car). What's the point of spending the extra money on a high speed rail line??

That doesn't make sense!!!
    I agree, especially when Disney's Magical Express already exists. The only way this makes sense in my mind is if the system is expanded to include Tampa, Miami, Jacksonville and beyond.

BTW, I can't tell you how glad I am to know that my federal income taxes are supporting something like this. I've always wanted to help fund a government-sponsored redundancy. Now I have my chance! Thank you Obama!

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

• Shubisha

Do high speed trains cost less than monorails? Since monorails are apparently far too costly to build anymore on the resort then if something like this starts out and then expands resortwide that'd be incredible. How many gallons of gas do they go through in a day there with the bus system again?

• I love my family!

Where would the stop be located?
    The only place that makes sense would be near Downtown Diney.

DME would still be needed to get to your Resort hotel, besides Mears is in Mickey's back pocket anyway .

DME is a free and easy service, people really like free and easy.

• I love my family!

Quote Originally Posted by almandot View Post
    Do high speed trains cost less than monorails? Since monorails are apparently far too costly to build anymore on the resort then if something like this starts out and then expands resortwide that'd be incredible. How many gallons of gas do they go through in a day there with the bus system again?
    Monorails need the more costly beam system, rail is cheaper.

I may get flack for this but I don't think the monorail system would be the best idea for mass transit at WDW.
    The bus system may be old, clunky and sometimes really slow but, it's also more reliable.
    A broken down bus dosen't cut off the entire system.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdshiftCM View Post
    Monorails need the more costly beam system, rail is cheaper.

I may get flack for this but I don't think the monorail system would be the best idea for mass transit at WDW.
    The bus system may be old, clunky and sometimes really slow but, it's also more reliable.
    A broken down bus dosen't cut off the entire system.
    Rail is best served bit at street level, so monorail is cheaper than elevated rail. High-speed monorail would be boss.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

The voters of Florida voted on a high speed rail that would run the length of Florida a few years back into the FL constitution. It was an awesome idea to think I could get on a high speed train here in Tally and in less time than it took to drive get to O-town or farther down the state (afternoon margartitas in Miami, why not?).

But the legislators refused to give any money towards it for 4 years, then came up with there own constitional admendment to remove it, which passed.

I still hold hope that one day a system can be built. The Tampa- Orlando area is a great start. They nearly run together as one big metro area now.

• World Traveler

There was a plan in 2000 for them to build this, but it was dropped in 2004. I believe the companies that complained were not Mears, but the other Central Florida attractions that also wanted stops in their properties.

I don't think this will ever get off the ground.

• Pilot EdForceOne

1.5 million? I think the really horribly written Fox Orlando article mean 1.5 BILLION. But the stimulus bill only had 2 billion total from the last references I can find. Plus.. Florida is competing with other waiting rail projects.

Sorry.. this story and thread are entirely off base. Florida's waiting and dead high speed rail program is no closer to life then it was 2+ years ago.

The commuter rail project is suffering its own problems
    Cost of planned $1.2 billion Central Florida commuter rail could go up -- OrlandoSentinel.com

Neither plan goes anywhere near WDW. The commuter project runs along existing rail lines north/south through the Orlando area. The highspeed rail has nothing to do with WDW or intended to stop anywhere near it either.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Wasting that amount of money from the stimulus... can't that go to better things?
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast