Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Banned User

Thumbs up "Move it! Shake it! Celebrate it!" The official TDLFAN review.

G-Fan and I made it to the MK today, sick as dogs with a chest and head cold, to check out the new "Shake it!.." parade at the park.
    My understanding was this to be a small affair, something similar to the Family Fun Parade they did at the MK during the 1,000,000 Dreams event. So my expectations were very very low.. I have to admit the best part of the Family Fun Parade was seeing Pluto lead it, and seeing Clarabelle Cow and Horace in it.
    So I really was expecting a little cheap Tokyo Disneyland-style character greeting... which is something I have always complained about in Tokyo..for going cheap.

*SHOCK! *SHOCK! *SHOCK!

Let me first say.. the little parade was much much more than I had anticipated and then.. FUN FUN FUN! And I am glad to say that finally, we have got ourselves a little fun "streetacular" at the MK which is as close as some of the much bigger audience participation big-budget events (like D-Pop Magic!, Party Express, or Blazing Rhythms) seen at Tokyo Disneyland.

"Shake it!.." was simply a FUNTastic 30 minutes. I *loved* it!

***SPOILERS BELOW!!!!***

G-Fan and I sat for the 3pm parade earlier in the day.. a parade that I wish had offered a bit more than what we got. The small redo if the lead float was nicely done, and I do enjoy the energy that the many performers bring to the show modes.. the flag twirling, the streamer surprise finale.. the little things if you will is what make it for me. I am even beginning to love the music of the parade. Still.. I have some issues and I felt there was room for improvement.
    Reason why I thank the powers that be at WDW for spending a little money and adding quite a nice spectacle to go along with the new "Celebrate Today" event. The MK has finally joined TDL in offering THREE different parade style shows in a single day. BRAVO!!!

G-Fan and I took our spot on Main Street and waited for the show to start not knowing ahead of time what to expect. We saw some performers coming around the corner and a very colorful float with Mickey and Minnie, an energetic emcee and Goofy and Donald.. I thought that was it. Then surprise! More performers... more colorful floats in the shapes of brightly wrapped gifts, with even more randomly selected characters from various Disney movies. Before I knew it, we had a full fledged parade rolling down towards the castle! We were told to "follow the parade to the castle!" and we gladly did, carried away by the catchy pop rhythms of the music. All in all, a pleasant start!

Upon arriving at the Hub, the many Cms in that area were promptly directing guests to circle around the hub.. and in typical TDL-style, the parade became a streetacular moving counter-clockwise around the hub. I was like.."OMG!! this is so Tokyo!!" very cool! The Mickey float went around the hub once and finally parked in front of the castle forecourt. The crowd around the hub quickly grew. There were about 4 more floats in this show and they promptly parked in various spots around the hub as well.

This is the part where the parade becomes a huge fun show, similar to DCA/DHS' Block Party Bash, but with out the pull out "scream!" signs. The performers and characters do a song and dance routine that is contagious enough to get guests involved. I did see many people around having fun, dancing, smiling and basically sharing great moments together. That was true Disney magic here for me. Then... when it could not get better.. SURPRISE! More random characters pop out from the top of the floats and join the fun. The dancers and characters below add props to the show, like twirling streamers and pompoms... and dance energetically as they engage the crowd into the party mood, quite successfully I have to say. I found myself clapping along and even doing some of the dance movements.. shaking it and what have you! A fun conga line was quickly put together and many guests had no problem getting into the act. Best of all! I witnessed a young Custodial CM who quickly joined the crowd as conga"ed" his way around. This was a great moment for me to see, a non-performing CM's becoming a part of the show.. which is something I have witnessed at TDL over and over, where Custodial CMs are in charge of teaching guests the dance movements done in their shows. It's a great incentive and lots of fun for the CMs. I was happy to see a bit of this here.. even if it was by accident. The truth is, the show's music is so contagious.. it really wasn't hard to put on a smile and dance along!
    I also liked that some of the characters came down from their floats and joined the guests in the fun! Seeing Mr. Incredible wearing beeds and doing conga line with guests was a moment to behold. Laughter everywhere.

As the show neared the end, the Cast did the best they could to send people to the curb and turn the spectacle into a rolling parade again... and the whole bash ended in a colorful streamer-type confetti blast all around the Hub! Again.. very TDL!!! I loved every moment of it.

Quickly the show gets moving and rolls down Main Street towards Town Square and into the backstage area.

---------------

I highly recommend this streetacular. It's colorful, fun and features music that will make you move. I honestly suggest you check your inhibitions at the door and let loose. You will enjoy it to the core. The costumes on the characters and many performers is quite colorful and fun, and the energy throughout the performance is high. Parents! bring your kids, and get out and dance with them. Great chance for the little brats to have a blast with you *together*.

So yes, TDLFAN loved this show and wants to see it again soon. If there is one thing that I believe needs fixing... is the crowd control factor as the parade rolls. I stood on Main Street waiting for this for a while, and never heard one single announcement about the show performing soon, so many of the guests seemed caught by surprise when the show started. The CMs have to act quickly, clearing Main Street.. so I feel there is room for improvement there.. especially because I see many challenges with crowd control on days when the park is full with guests.

Still.. do not miss this show on your next visit to the MK, it may or may not be your cup of tea, but it sure was for me, and I loved every moment of it, and I think you will love it too.
    TDLFAN rates is 5*****. A "must" do at the MK.
    Last edited by TDLFAN; 02-18-2009 at 08:47 PM.

• She was sweet as a peach

Re: "Move it! Shake it! Celebrate it!" The official TDLFAN review.

Excellent! I am really looking forward to seeing this!!

• Banned User

Please do, and also check out the new balloon motif on the monorails, and new decors on Main Street's lamp posts. Really nice and colorful, me thinks.

What time is "shake it" at? We are going next week and I really want to see it.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's a music celebration!

Thanks for the detailed review TDLFAN! I know the TDR folks set a high bar with regards to live entertainment, so the fact that you enjoyed this streetacular is very encouraging for WDW.

Unfortunately, I don't know if I will be able to make it back to WDW this year, so I might have to live vicariously through reviews, YouTube videos and trip reports. I'm hoping Denise posts some pictures soon.

TDLFAN.... I also loved it. See my own posted review which I put up. I almost waited before posting my review. Why? I saw some other postings and it just seemed like you had NO CLUE about this new shows. Its ok, I didn't either until I saw it. Well, not entirely true.... I did know about the five floats and as a result I was not suprised nor impressed by them. That aside, the show itself I was impressed by, hopefully thats clear in my own posted review. Anyhow, I was glad to read your review. It was like reliving my first time watching it all over again. Its pretty awesome. While tempted to tell you before hand, I decided not to respond and let you be suprised. But for you compare it to something at TDR.... wow! But I agree.... its definately an Exceeds expectations event that is just a refreshing change.

• Banned User

Is this parade/show going to be on all year?

• Banned User

I believe it is supposed to be there for the entire "Celebrate Today" event.. I guess at least until the end of this year, or when the celebration ends.

Quote Originally Posted by ameeg View Post
    What time is "shake it" at? We are going next week and I really want to see it.
    The other day, it played three times a day... like around 10am, then noon ,and 5:45pm. I caught the last one. Personally, I think they should play it only twice daily, and the best show to see is the last one as the sun is lower and it's not that hot out. Remember, this involves audience participation...and you do not want to get sweaty.

• Banned User

On an added note.. the whole vibe of this "Shake It!" show reminds me of the old "Mickey's Street Party" parade back in the early 80's.

• Little Miss Sunshine

TDL - I am not surprised that you like it. I don't personally like lots of parades, but enjoy both of the new ones (especially the music). This one is great! I still have to work on my photos, I've actually gone maybe 7 or 8 times total - including today for one parade.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

As someone who abstains from fueling negativity fires, I must say that it does warm my heart to see that TDLFAN have the same reaction to Move it! as I did. My wife and I were lucky enough to catch the very first preview performance of the parade - no, moving party is a better way to describe it. We then happened to catch it two more times during our most recent vacation.

Move it! is simply wonderful.

Extremely high energy. Full of color, movement and sound. The crowd participation part of show was my favorite. I'll have tons of photos available soon.

Add another feather in the Magic Kingdoms cap to go along with PhilharMagic, the wonderful Haunted Mansion refurb, TTA, CoP, Specto, and Wishes!.

•   
    • Main Street VIPs

We posted some of Denise's photos in the Weekend Update HERE.
    Rick

• Little Miss Sunshine

I still am working on putting a couple of hundred pics on my site too - but I've been so often now, I've got many to wade through.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's a music celebration!

Quote Originally Posted by nbodyhome View Post
    I still am working on putting a couple of hundred pics on my site too - but I've been so often now, I've got many to wade through.
    Denise, I know the feeling. LOL.

Meanwhile, thanks for the wonderful photos in the Weekend Update!!! It's almost like I was standing there in the Hub with everyone else partying. Thanks for sharing those with us.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by nbodyhome View Post
    TDL - I am not surprised that you like it. I don't personally like lots of parades, but enjoy both of the new ones (especially the music). This one is great!
    Denise, You know me quite well... and you know that I will always give WDW the benefit of the doubt until I see the things they do for myself and then offer an opinion either way. However, as I mentioned before, yes, I was pleasantly surprised because the WDW entertainment has been so lame in the past decade that I honestly do not set the bar nor my expectations high on anything they do. Reason why I was very much pleased with this effort...and appreciated it.
    You see? I should say.. I am not surprised YOU and many other folks have enjoyed it, simply because this is the kind of fun special (limited time only) entertainment we see regularly at Tokyo Disneyland, and the reason why the local fans out there go to the park often. If the MK did this type of limited edition programs on a more regular basis, I too would be making a point of visiting the MK at least once weekly when I am home. WDW needs to be giving the locals more incentives besides useless/silly hotel discounts to go back over and over again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast