• Sock Puppet

Thumbs down DAN COCKRELL to RUN EPCOT.....

Guys it is SOOO Over. I dk what good news Al is gonna tell us on Tues. But this is BAAAAD. It is VERY possible EPCOT WILL enter a Pressler-type era. And Eric Wallace? the woman who brought the amazingness that was the Emporium expansion and defrerred maint. Shes gonna be VP of ALL domestic parks. WDW1974 im dying to know your thoughts on this.

Disney announces new executive assignments -- OrlandoSentinel.com

• Banned User

Re: DAN COCKRELL to RUN EPCOT.....

Why does Disney keep promoting incompetent people who are not in touch with the company's traditions?

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Why does Disney keep promoting incompetent people who are not in touch with the company's traditions?
    Because Disney likes incompetant people.

I'm going to be flamed...... but Dan Cockrell is pretty good actually. I have no issues with him. I have worked with him. He is a hand on kind of guys. Seriously always walks around his area, gets his hand dirty. I have read on these groups before how you don't like him but.... I find he is in touch with the traditions of Disney. He doesn't run his area from behind a desk. He is out there walking the area, working in the area. Dan Cockrell doing a costume day is not an unheard of thing.

• MiceAge Columnist

I don't know Dan, but Lee was actually an executive that "got it" according to several of my sources. If the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, Epcot may be all right.

On the other hand, the leadership of Al, Meg, and now Erin is not welcome.

Jim always struck me as a good guy, so hopefully special events will take on an even better tone now.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• Irrational Mr. Toad Fan

I don't think it's all bad. I've talked to Dan and he seems like he knows what he's doing. Meg and co on the other hand, I have no idea.

• I was deleted.

Jim has been great for the company. I hope his move will be what is best for him. He has worked hard to make changes to Epcot and that what is important. The wand is gone... remember?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan View Post
    Jim has been great for the company. I hope his move will be what is best for him. He has worked hard to make changes to Epcot and that what is important. The wand is gone... remember?
    They should put him in charge of DHS...then maybe we can lose the Hat.
    Down with the Hat

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

I'm with BPF, Jim is a great guy. He is genuine too...something so many of WDW's leadership isn't.

But I just hope this move for Jim isn't just a "here be a figurehead" move. I hope his new role has merit...because he deserves to have a say in the leadership of Disney.

But at the same time, I agree tasman, move him to DHS. They were like their own little bubble management wise...and now that MK's little trifecta (Phil, Val and Dan) each have their own park, I fear DHS will have no choice but to become exactly like the other parks, and the little differences in management that give it an edge will go away.

At least Michael in California has been kept. He is now head of all entertainment...a good place for him, its where his roots are.
    But then again, he was a great VP too...so...maybe it is a loss.

Quote Originally Posted by tasman View Post
    They should put him in charge of DHS...then maybe we can lose the Hat.
    Maybe!

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post

Seems to be what Disney likes these days.

I don't have idea why they are doing that...What's in their mind?...
    Music is my LIFE!!!

• Banned User

more like Dan Cockrell to RUIN epcot

• Were you there?

Sorry but I think Lee was horrible. He was the executive that eliminated "walk time" for most cast members (Magic Kingdom still gets it) and famously said that cast members shouldn't be expected to be in the part while walking to or from a shift off the clock. He specifically told managers that cast members could NOT be told not to be on their cell phones while walking through the park, in costume, while off the clock.

He was also the executive that took the guest is always right to the terrible extreme - taming down enforcement of dress codes, appropriate behavior and promoting the flinging of free merchandise and hotel stays at any guest that presented any sort of tantrum (even when Disney was in the right) etc. Granted I am all about the Guest experience and pleasing the Guest, but you do have to have limits and expectations from the Guests as well, which Disney always had before Lee. They are at least back to enforcing appropriate dress that lend themselves to a family atmosphere, although still not as strict as they used to be.

He was about as out of touch on Disney traditions as it gets in my opinion. I actually would give higher marks to Dan.

Jim on the other hand is incredible and lives, breathes Disney. The VP role of the parks is somewhat limited and Jim had a lot of great things he wanted to do to EPCOT that he was unable to get the $ for.

BT
    22 is NOT my age (unfortunately)...