Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

'American Idol Experience' -The official TDLFAN review.

Finally caught the "American Idol Experience" show at DHS today. Saw the final show, where 7 contestants worked it for the audience for a chance to win a chance to audition for the real AI staff next season.

Let me jump to the end of my review in case you don't care to read that much.. I enjoyed the show. It was not as horrible as I expected it to be.
    They did a nice job recreating the show's "live" dinamics, and I felt like I was a part of the real thing, or at least came out of it with an idea of what it would be like to be in the audience for the real show in Hollywood.

However, allow me to tell you right away what I didn't like: The cast doing the show. They are not the same as watching Paula, Randy, Simon, or even the sisterhood Ryan Seacrest do their thing like they do on TV.
    I found the guy roaming with the camera in the preshow area to be annoying beyond belief, but not because he wasn't good at what he did, but mostly because he wasn't that appealing to watch. Same for the faux judges during the show. Their commentary and opinions may appear to be honest (and probably some of those comments were) but the guy playing Simon ... well, everything he said appeared to be scripted, and worst.. they were bad bad bad "mean spirited" comment/jokes. That was a major turn off for me.

So can I recommend the AIE show? Not sure. I think it may depend on the particular cast doing this show on any given moment, but the cast tonight was simply horrible. Even the host of the show this evening, who looked like Jonathan Silverman, was stumbling badly with his words.. and at one point even turned around to the audience and said.. "I dunno what's happening to me today.. jada jada, I can't talk at all!". I can tell you what's wrong with you dear.. You aren't that good an actor.

Now, the "talent". I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by a few of the so-called contestants this evening. (Again, you may have a different opinion on the show based on who actually makes it on the stage) However, I was also unpleasantly uncomfortable by the fact that a couple of the people on the stage appeared a bit familiar.. as in Disney CM type-familiar? Not saying that Disney may be passing real CMs as park guest contestants here.. but the whole thing had a fake fake fake feel to it. But again, I may be wrong. Some or all of them contestants could be bonafide real park guests. Hard to tell, but oh this nagging feeling I had...
    Anyways.. some of them were good and some of them were adecuate. Lucky for me, none of these contestants turned out to be horribly bad like that Hung guy singing "She bangs". Some chose good songs and some chose difficult songs, but they all did ok. In the end, the winner turned out to be an older gentleman, whose family (wife and teenage children) were sitting in the audience. This guy chose a good soulful song that the audience enjoyed clapping along.. mind you he was an adecuate "karaoke dad". In the end.. yes, he won. Taking away the price from the young gal who tackled Mulan's "Reflections" theme song, a most difficult dive tune to carry and she did it quite well, so that gal got robbed.
    Reality check here: the guy who won is too old to audition for the real American Idol show.. so I wonder what that "Golden Ticket to the front of the audition line" will serve him for... Maybe he will be given some pin or some consolation price to make up for that little "ooopsy" situation?

TO end this short long overdue review.. if you are a fan of "American Idol", you may enjoy this a lot. Me? The only enjoyment I got from it was the technical aspects of it... such as looking at the set, which is flashy and looks like the real thing, complete with those back-free stools off to the left of the stage. The plasma screens all over the theater are nice and seeing past American Idol winners and finalists was probably the most fun aspect of the show for me. (wow! Justin has a new gig as a commentator!/ Archuletta needs to come out and become a huge techno dance music singer.)

Other than that, I have no reason to submit myself to yet another round of this show, and most probably never will see this again.

Oh! couple more things... I honestly believe they need to cut back on the number of shows they do daily... like to a max of 5 shows, and only have a maximum of 5 contestants for the final round at the end of the day. This evening it was 7 finalists... and trust me, by the 4th person, I was ready to leave. Some people appeared to agree and DID leave the theater. This particular final round show lasted nearly 50 minutes. People with small children or babies were the majority of those who got up and left before the show ended. Be warned... keep very small children outside, and if you are not a fan, do the rest of the audience a favor and do not bother seeing this, that way, you will not bother others who do enjoy the show when you cut thru the long aisles of chairs to get out of the theated.

TDLFAN gives "American Idol Experience" just 2 and 1/2 stars out of 5. It's just an "ok" in my book.
    Last edited by TDLFAN; 02-22-2009 at 10:46 PM.

Blog Entries

Re: 'American Idol Experience' -The official TDLFAN review.

but the guy playing Simon ... well, everything he said appeared to be scripted, and worst.. they were bad bad bad "mean spirited" comment/jokes. That was a major turn off for me.
    I definitely agree with this. I haven't seen the show live yet, but I did watch the Orlando Attractions video of the opening day show where all the real AI people were there. The attraction judges were bad, especially the Simon guy. I wish they'd move away from having them pretend to be Randy, Paula, and Simon and just have them be real judges. Sure you can still have one person be positive, one neutral, and one overly critical, but they're not good enough actors to pretend to pull off Randy, Paula, and Simon.

Reality check here: the guy who won is too old to audition for the real American Idol show.. so I wonder what that "Golden Ticket to the front of the audition line" will serve him for... Maybe he will be given some pin or some consolation price to make up for that little "ooopsy" situation?
    I've wondered about this as well. I'm 31, a decent singer who used to front a couple of bands, and would like to do this just to see what it would be like. However I'm not sure I want to give the majority of my day to this just to be told, congratulations you win absolutely nothing. They should at least give the winner of each round a little souvenir prize they can take with them. Maybe a mock of the idol microphones they gave out to all the idol winners at the opening show. It would also be nice to give each contestant a video of their particular show. It wouldn't be that hard to burn a copy after every performance. They're obviously recording everything.

• Can't get enough!

When we were there for the soft opening they did have cast members in the show. They told the contestants that but not the general audience. I wonder if that is still the case since it's officially open?

p.s. Did anyone see the hidden Mickey on the set?

It's kind of fun to do the impossible- Walt Disney

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

I'm fast approaching 39 and thought it would be fun to toss some torch songs out and give this a whirl. Being that I've never actually watched AI, my friend pointed out it would be a waste...since I'm too old.

Ouch. But confirmed here, apparently.

Maybe not now....

peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Wishin' I was at WDW.

Thanks for the review TDL, it was quite insightful. After reading about the show across the internet yours is the first middle of the road one I've encountered and is probably most in tune with how I feel about the show in general. Not that I've seen the DHS version, but from the outset I thought it might be something to see once. And once would probably be it.

The tech of the show does sound amazing from what I've seen and read and I would find that interesting. I'm also not a big fan of "American Idol" the TV show. I watched seasons 3 and 4 but that was it. I find the TV show incredibly mean spirited, overly promotional, and skewed from the start to suggest who the producers would like to see win.

The Disney version comes across to me as a large karaoke show. That could be fun, and hopefully some time this year I'll be able to make a trip down to see if it is for myself.

• Not here to help

great review!
    now I know that I will give this sucker a big miss when I go to orlando next year

• Banned User

One more thing I need to comment on..
    The new banners for the "Celebrate Today" event. I like it that each park gets it's own design, featuring the specific park icon. DTD got banners featuring all parks. I think it's nice that they did this since I recall the YOMD banners were all the same all over the property.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
    great review!
    now I know that I will give this sucker a big miss when I go to orlando next year
    Oh Timmy... it really isn't that bad. In fact, I did enjoy the show to some degree. It does make you feel like you are a part of the real TV live production. I would ask you to give it a try. Not your cup ot tea? You can always get up and leave midway thru the show.

• Banned User

I asked this question in another AI thread and got no reply. So I'm trying again. Does anyone know if the AI show is drawing guests away from the other attractions in the park (TSMM, in other words).

• Banned User

I will take a guess and say NO. The lines for TSM are still horribly long.

• Banned User

Saw another performance of the American Idol Experience yesterday. I wanted my friend and fellow Micechatter Dennis-in-CT to see the show. We caught the last show of the regular semi final performances. There were only 3 performers on stage competing for one spot on the final show of that day. I have to say that having only 3 performance per show was more manageable than seeing 7. Still have the same opinion of the show... it's OK and I would advise non-fans of this show to at least go try it once and see for yourself.

On other unrelated news.. the stand by line for Toy Story Mania at closing time of 7pm was out the door and posted for 65 minutes wait time. I wonder how late the CMs had to stay after park's closing time hours to empty this turkey out.

• Not here to help

I think that a show like this fits well in dhs. it would be extra cool if the attraction would be a part of the real tv show. it could be one of the stops where they hold auditions or something...
    but... its not a big deal enough to lure me away from the rides or fanatsmic
    to me this still feels like "if it rains" type of thing to do
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Not here to help

65 minutes... I wish that was the wait time for the rides in tokyo...
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

thanks for that awesome review.. nice share mate!!
    thanE

• Banned User

Thanks Denise25.. I have other reviews out there (Shameless plug) for "Move it, SHake it! Celebrate it!" show at the MK and Universal Japan's electrical parade "Magical Starlight Parade". Read them all!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast