• Pathetically Obsessed

Rental car versus taking taxis?

Hi all,

We've been waffling back and forth about the rental car vs taxi thing. We're a family of 6 and will be going to WDW in the first week of April (my first trip to The World!)

We'll be staying 2 nights at the Boardwalk Inn, then off-property. I realize that we can take a bus when we are staying at BI, but wondered what to do when it comes to staying off site. I know there is a shuttle from our time share to the parks, but it seemed inconvenient and more expensive than taking a taxi.

I priced out a rental car (has to be a mid-sized SUV to carry all of us) and then we looked up taxi fares. Seems like a no-brainer price-wise to take taxis (the taxis do seat 6 if you call and order one) but I wonder how convenient that is?

So - there's my question "Should we take taxis when we stay off site, or get a rental car?" Your perspective and opinion is much appreciated!
    Last edited by InspiredByWalt; 03-02-2009 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Edited to avoid confusion around the taxis
    "Fire at will, boys!"

"Which one's Will?

•   

Blog Entries

Re: Rental car versus taking taxis?

Well it depends on the cost of the taxis. for 6 people I would guess you would have to take 2 taxi's each way. or rent a smaller car and have whomever is driving be the taxi.

Did You Know They Use Water To Make ICE!!

• Indiana Scott

We took a cab from Epcot to POP one time instead of using the bus because of a rain storm (busses quit running) ~ it was $15.
    So even if you only go to one park per day, it's going to cost at least $30 round trip per taxi (plus tip) each day.

• Hello there

Blog Entries

I rented a minivan for when we go in May. It is going to cost us (with taxes and all) for about $45 a day. If you can get taxi service each day for less than this, than taxi would seem the way to go. But with 6 people, that would be 2 taxis? I would shop around for a rental and see if it makes sense. Rentals give you the freedom to come and go as you please and I don't think it is that much more expensive than a taxi. If it is only saving you $5 to 10 a day, well to me the luxury of the car outweighs the slight added expense.
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• Pathetically Obsessed

Hey MP! I've enjoyed plenty of your posts on MC.

Question for you... what rental car company are you using? I priced out Enterprise because they can pick us up at the Boardwalk Inn. But they rent out at about $67/day (with taxes). If we could get down to $45/day, that would make the decision much easier.
    "Fire at will, boys!"

"Which one's Will?

• Hello there

Blog Entries

I rented it through here, and I am picking it up at the at the airport.
    http://www.carrentals.com/?ref=ggcarrental
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

•   

I used to use Expedia.com but have found better deals on hotwire.com for cars. A rental will be better option than relying on taxis the for the trip. I find the rates for rental tend to be higher if you want to have Enterprise pick you up and get the rental from on property at WDW, usually better deals and more convient to pick up and drop off at airport.

• MiceChat Approved Travel Partner

If your going to be staying off property, for convience alone I would suggest renting a car. Don't forget to add in parking at the theme parks because you will have to pay for the on a daily basis but it is still worth it to come and go as you please and not have to worry about calling a cab at the end of the day.

• Disneyholic

I would be careful with the Taxi's some are flat rate/minimum rate others are not, and if you decide to change plans midday or explore a rental car can save you a bit of money it's also more convenient in some ways.

Check the rates at the airport, as silly as it sounds it may be cheaper for someone to ride the DME to the airport early in the morning and then hop the shuttle to the airport rental car area and drive back to the BI or even just rent one for the entire length of stay, it's always cheaper to rent and return from the same location. I beleive you can pick up and drop off rentals at the swan and dolphin which is just a short walk from the BI. Also check around there are several codes for budget and others that you can "stack" to get bigger discounts. I believe Mousesavers has a list on their site somewhere.
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

• Pathetically Obsessed

I'm leaning away from the taxis and more towards Enterprise (the one located at the Marriott World Center across the freeway from DTD). They can pick me up at the BI, and then we'll have the convenience of driving a rental car while we're off property. Yes, of course we'll have to pay for parking (how much is parking anyway? I heard $20/day per park??) For a fee, we can drop the car off at the airport when we leave, but I think that fee is a wash because it would easily cost us more to arrange another car if we were taking taxis the whole trip.

Thanks for the tips everyone! I did check priceline and a few other sites and they couldn't match Enterprise (by hundreds of dollars). So I'm feeling much better about the rental car option.
    "Fire at will, boys!"

"Which one's Will?

• Banned User

$12 for parking per park for regular automobiles.

• I'll Break your Thumbs!!

When I go down to WDW I always rent a car. Why? Because I like to have the freedom to know that I can go anywhere in the Orlando area and not have to use a shuttle.

I have seen people use this company:

Maingate orlando international airport taxi service kissimmee

Their prices seem reasonable, but I never liked the fact that if I used one of them, I had to be back at a certain time or I would miss my ride.

When I am on Disney property I will my car to go to DTD or to a resort if I have dinner reservations. If I am going to a park, I just use Disney transportation...

But for me, a rental car is the way to go.