• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Abandoned Resort buildings

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    Pop Graveyard

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by halltd View Post
    I think it's sad, yet ironic that Walt went through so much effort to create WDW because of visual intrusion at Disneyland, yet Disney is allowing it to happen at WDW now. Then again, they started the whole thing with the Swan and Dolphin.
    Actually it was Eisner who allowed it to happen. It was his dream of building tacky towers that got the ball rolling with the Swan/Dolphin complex. But as for the "now".. Putting the horrible DVC Tower next to the Contemporary is probably the most visible insult to the skyline at WDW. Money talks.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Actually it was Eisner who allowed it to happen. It was his dream of building tacky towers that got the ball rolling with the Swan/Dolphin complex. But as for the "now".. Putting the horrible DVC Tower next to the Contemporary is probably the most visible insult to the skyline at WDW. Money talks.
    Both of the above statements are your opinions, and you're welcome to them. I've never had a problem with the Swan and Dolphin, and think they fit in very nicely with the Epcot World Showcase skyline. And I think they did a terrific job with the new Contemporary tower, as I said above.

• Banned User

Pollyanna much?^^^
    Then again.. you are from Texa$ where money does talk.

Not a bit of Pollyanna, and I don't care about how much money was spent on these buildings. I just like 'em. I can stand on the island in front of Epcot's Italy, look out at the skyline that includes the Swan and Dolphin as well as Canada and France, and enjoy it all as a cohesive whole. And I've been wary about the new Contemporary tower, but now that it's nearing completion I think they did a nice job matching it into the existing theme.

Some of us Texans have good taste!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I will reserve judgement on whether or not I like the Contemporary DVC building until I see it in August. I stayed at the Contemporary in 2005, and I really enjoyed my stay there. It is one of my favorite hotels. I know that I am in the minority with my fondness for the Magic Kingdom.

Also I am staying at Pop Century in August, so I may perhaps get a peek at those buildings that haven't been finished for that resort. Since I was born in the 40's it would have been fun to stay in my age respective building.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    Both of the above statements are your opinions, and you're welcome to them. I've never had a problem with the Swan and Dolphin, and think they fit in very nicely with the Epcot World Showcase skyline. And I think they did a terrific job with the new Contemporary tower, as I said above.
    PUKE just came up in my mouth.

Spit it out, CA!

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Magic View Post
    Even though I have seen this in person and in pictures before, it still looks creepy like a bad horror movie scene. I can't believe they let those buildings sit like that, very un-Disney like.
    Actually, it is VERY Disney like. The company is not the one we all fell in love with decades ago. We can either choose to get used to it or move on. I am still deciding which course of action to take.
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

• Rides against injustice

I stayed at the Pop Century last November and our hotel room faced Hour Glass Lake and the Legendary Years buildings. I'll admit it was kind of creepy seeing those un-used buildings out there. That Youtube video though is really creepy. I almost expected some guy in a hockey mask to jump out and hack the cameraman!

Here are some pics I took

This next shot below was pretty much our view from the window of our room
    Out of the NIGHT....
    When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
    Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
    ---------------------------------------

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Which "decades" were built, and which are these abandoned ones?

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Which "decades" were built, and which are these abandoned ones?
    Built = 50s,60s,70s,80s,90s
    halted = 00,10,20,40s

Hence.. 'pop century'
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Don't forget the 30's as part of the unbuilt.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Maybe I read this in a Jim Hill media article but wasnt there recent talk about how consumers dislike the theming of Pop Century and how they're going to revamp the entire Pop Century as themed to Disney blockbusters? That could explain the construction delay. Yes, I know they have an All-Star Movies resorts but I thought that the All-Star Resorts have terrible theming all together (I mean...come on...an entire Disney hotel themed to sports?). Eh... They could revamp ALL of the All-Stars Resorts after Disney hits and they would have a massive variety of themes to work with.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Disneyholic

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    To this day, I am troubled by the unfinished complex at the Pop Century, while Disney contiues to add unnecesary DVC complexes like the horrible Contemporary Tower.
    Ok now the contempo tower is not as bad as I thought it would be from the artist renditions. The thing you have to remember is the DVC properties save Disney more money as they charge the "owners" every year to cover "maintenance costs" plus the profit from regular guests that book there. The DVC crowd tend to take better care of their property as they feel they have an active stake in the property. (It's their home for 2 weeks each year after all...) And they get funded via a separate company so from an accounting POV they can choose to include o exclude the costs in different ways. It Serves a purpose and as long as folks are willing to buy into it they will keep building them.

Also, does anyone have opinions on how the high rise buildings from the non-Disney owned timeshare behind EPCOT interfere with the look of World Showcase? Not sure what I am talking about? Then go to the Canada pavilion and look to the southeast, behind Germany and Italy.. You can even see the top of the Blue Herron complex all the way outside Disney on road 535!!!
    Yeah I agree with you on the skyline incursions, this is exactly the type of thing Walt was trying to avoid with the Florida Project, all the outside world incursions.

The swan and Dolphin where part of a plan to sell off parts of Disney World to outside development entities, it was stopped thank goodness but the contract for the Swan and Dolphin where already signed and so they went forward. The properties are owned and managed by Starwood and not Disney although they share some of the on site guest benefits. They are gorgeous inside, nice rooms larger than the usual deluxe resorts, the Spa is cheaper, and they have a really neat shared pool area. Downsides: seems a bit sterile compared to a Disney owned hotel, you feel like your not on property even though you are, no Magical Express.

The easiest way to tell what is Disney and what is not while on property is the name, if the signs say Disney's "name of shop/hotel/restaurant" then Disney owns it, if no or it says at Disney World etc, it's not Disney owned/operated.

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    Maybe I read this in a Jim Hill media article but wasnt there recent talk about how consumers dislike the theming of Pop Century and how they're going to revamp the entire Pop Century as themed to Disney blockbusters? That could explain the construction delay. Yes, I know they have an All-Star Movies resorts but I thought that the All-Star Resorts have terrible theming all together (I mean...come on...an entire Disney hotel themed to sports?). Eh... They could revamp ALL of the All-Stars Resorts after Disney hits and they would have a massive variety of themes to work with.
    I'm not sure about that one, they have movie theming at the POP based on the Disney movies of that decade. Most notably the Huge Statues of Baloo and Mogui come to mind right there by the hippy dippy pool area. The POP seems to be a lot more popular with guests than the all stars, it's newer, larger, a little better laid out and they have more themeing to hide the stair wells on the end of each wing.

I do agree the Disney All Stars could be revamped a bit to add the end stair well theming to match the pop and that would make a huge difference in the look of the All Star resorts in general as would opening up the main building a bit, I like the open floor plans at the POP more than the music and other all Stars, but that could just be me.

The rumor has long been that they may re-do the legendary years side as family suites, would be nice to see something done there, as there are times of the year where Disney really needs more value resorts especially ones that can handle families larger than 4 people. Personally I really like the new family suites at the All Star Music resort, I just wish they would offer it for less than the cost of 2 rooms, but given how popular they are and how fast they sell out I understand why they don't see the need to do it.

Now in terms of shutting one of the values down to revamp it right now I don't see how they could do it, most clients right now are looking for lowest price or have lower vacation budgets which makes the values more popular than ever. If I had to bet on what would happen it would be conversion of some rooms into family suites at the other values, after that maybe expansion or a restart of the construction on the legendary years at the POP century no matter what they call it they need the additional rooms during peak season and the conversion of the All Star Music rooms to suites effectively eliminate one room for each suite they create they need to add more rooms somewhere to compensate for that eventually.
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast