Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tired old attrations

I recently read a glowing review of WDW printed in the Chicago Times. Among the bullet points I found this one interesting criticism.....

• Too many highlights to list those tigers, great 3-D shows, good food. The drawbacks a few tired attractions, two of which broke down while we were on them, one incoherent laser extravaganza which locked Mickey Mouse in a Manichean struggle with the forces of evil.
    Obviously the incoherent laser show of Mickey vs. the forces of evil must be Fantasmic! And he lists it as a draw back. Wow. is the show that bad? I have seen both Fantasmic!s and I definitely favor Disneyland's of Hollywood Studio's. I also have criticized WDW for creating a show that was "good enough" if you had not seen Disneyland's, which I suspect is the case for a very solid majority of the crowds who view the one at Hollywood Studios. Comments just like this one make me wonder..... is Fantasmic! just not this authors cup of tea, or would he have been impressed if he had seen Disneyland's version? hummmmm

On another point the article did not say, I am absolutely curious to know, what were the "few tired attractions" he eluded to. hummmmmm again.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: Tired old attrations

Tired old attraction could mean anything depending on your point of view. Prior to updates, that could very well be Pirates or Haunted Mansion. Is Country Bears tired or run down?

As for Fantasmic!, i think even if I never seen Disneyland, I would like parts of it but be bored by most of it. The bubbles medley never ends, Pocahontas is scene is like watching ants on a rock, and the endless amount of villains is over kill.

Depending on where you're sitting, it could possibly be as bad or as unimpressive as he thought.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Shablagoo!

Old and Stupid? They need to add a porcelain deer.

• Not here to help

Disneyparks are dominated by attractions that we have seen many times and had the chance to go on a hundred times and more.
    those smelly old cars in tomorrowland, pooh, pirets, old mansion...well most of dusty rides in fantasyland that used to amaze people in the 70s needs to be replaced or totally remade.

I know disneyworld draws the big crowds but that wont last forever. even the old movies gets facelifts now and then.
    the 70s was 30 years ago. disneyworld needs leap into the future, or atleast take a step into the present
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Indiana Scott

It sounds like he referred to the rides that broke down as "tired" and not so much that he was bored with some rides.

• Banned User

Let's get real.. take most attractions at the MK and compare them to their counterparts at the other 4 DL parks in the World. Chances are most offerings at the MK are tired, old, and in major need to refurbishing and upgraded technology and special effects. In fact, I would say the MK park as a whole is a tired museum of Disney's past accompliments.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I would say the MK park as a whole is a tired museum of Disney's past accompliments.
    I completely agree, but the general public pays for it and thats all Disney cares about.

Speaking of remaking old attractions, I move for Horizons II!
    "Those who say that something can not be done, should not interrupt those who are doing it."- If anyone know who said this, please let me know.

it someone is still pays to see it we can only rant and get on with it.. lol
    just do what you think...

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_The_Tank View Post
    I completely agree, but the general public pays for it and thats all Disney cares about.
    They are tourists. What do they know?

I would say the MK park as a whole is a tired museum of Disney's past accompliments.
    I agree. It is sad that Disney will not take the time and money to bring MK up to the standards of the other four MK parks.

They are tourists. What do they know?
    Yeah, most don't even pay attention to theme. For some reason I feel like WDW has more tourists than the other Disney Parks. But what do I know, i've never been overseas.

Really trying to go to Tokyo thought, from the pics i've seen it looks breathtaking.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_The_Tank View Post
    Yeah, most don't even pay attention to theme. For some reason I feel like WDW has more tourists than the other Disney Parks. But what do I know, i've never been overseas.
    This is where Disney drops the proverbial ball, big time. The "Disney" brand should be uniformly exposed to the guests regardless of them being tourists or local (repeat) guests. There is a standard that should be met. The MK does that but at a very minimal degree. I honestly can not understand why all of the parks excel in some departments and not others..(TDR being the exception because they excel 99.6% of the time.)
    -DL, great theming and charm, fab CMs, great attractions..but its compact size backfires the operation when crowds are high.. and crowd control becomes a very difficult thing to manage by the cast.
    -MK, OK CM, mediocre staffing levels, antiquated rides, so-so maintenance, poor live entertainment for the most part..but improving.
    -DLP, great theming and attractions, very poor custodial and CM training.
    -HKDL, nice park, short on thrills, very clean.. great live shows, pushy CMs in the gift shops..
    -TDL, excellent shows & attraction roster, best staffing, best trained CMs, best maintained and cleaned park.

..and that's to mention few of the attributes of each park..

But "Disney" parks should strive for the standard that exceeds guests' expectations.. and for me, only 3 parks of the 5 parks above currently do that.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

WDW has more tourists because that's all that they cater to. If they tried harder, there's disney fans like me that WOULD spend the extra dough every year to visit florida. I just don't think it's worth it.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Banned User

..and if they are having troubles convincing locals (non disney fanatics like most of us) in the central FL area to become regular visitors is because they do not try harder, if at all, to give people reason to come often. All they do is repeat the same old tired special events year after year (How many times can we go see Davy Jones, or zip wines and sample overpriced food hors d'ouvres?) Does the AP program really has enough incentives to draw more locals into the parks and onto the property? I mean.. just look how many discounts have been dropped off that program. It's not worth it! Incentives are far and few in between.. example, the nice re-do of the Haunted mansion. It's a little too late. Reason why I love the "Shake it" show, because its so unexpected and out of the box for WDW, especially under the current economic times, but I appreciate the effort a lot!
    In short, I blame WDW management for not getting more of the locals' money. There are simply no incentives to go there for people in this area... then again, seems to me each household in Central FL has someone who works there and can get their entire family in with a main gate pass..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast