Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Walt Disney World - No Theme Park Day - Let's Share

I am planning a 9 night, 10 day trip to Disney World. I am staying at Pop Century during my trip. 2 of those days most likely will be spent at Sea World. I am contemplating doing something a little different on this vacation. Since I will most likely buy a 7 day parkhopper, that leaves me with one free day. I then thought of, an all day, no theme park day.

Now I have a few ideas of myself, but I may not know of all the fun stuff to do. I have thought about visiting some of the resorts, maybe playing some mini golf, visiting the Boardwalk at night which I have never done.

What would you do at Disney World that didn't require entering a theme park? I welcome all your ideas. I'd like to be away from Pop Century for the whole day.

Thanks, I look forward to hearing all of your ideas.

• World Traveler

Re: Walt Disney World - No Theme Park Day - Let's Share

One idea I can offer is renting a boat at one of the Bay Lake or Seven Seas Lagoon marinas. You can rent a few different types of boats and they're easy to drive. It's really relaxing to boat around the lakes and see the resorts from a different perspective. On the pontoon boat, for example, you can take snacks along too.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeland View Post
    One idea I can offer is renting a boat at one of the Bay Lake or Seven Seas Lagoon marinas. You can rent a few different types of boats and they're easy to drive. It's really relaxing to boat around the lakes and see the resorts from a different perspective. On the pontoon boat, for example, you can take snacks along too.
    Great idea, but I don't swim, don't drive, and will most likely be myself. I remember the summer that I took my grandson on a fishing excursion. We were staying at POR that trip. The fishing boat came to Port Orleans and we were taken up to the waterway by Downtown Disney. My grandson and I had a great time, and he caught a lot of fish.

Last edited by Barbaraann; 03-15-2009 at 05:25 AM.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

If you want to spend the entire day, then I would recommend visiting some resorts you've never seen before, Disney has some of the most beautiful around.

You can definitely fill a whole day of enjoying all the resorts and you can check things out for future vacations.

If you clump them together, like all the monorail resorts, then all the Epcot resorts etc.. you can probably keep the travel time down to a minimum.

You also might consider seeing Cirque De Soleil, the show is just fantastic, I highly recommend that.

Here is a good link for you that might give you some ideas.

Overlooked Attractions

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Thanks for the link, Summer. There are some great ideas there. I am definitely going to do this.

I am calling it my day without a theme park.

• Disneyholic

Well I was going to recommend the fishing excursion too, Bay Lake is teaming with fish thanks to the catch and release policy. I would suggest resort hopping, I did this back in January with a group of agents from Magical travel and we hit every resort on the property, it was so much fun and something I always wanted to do. Next step is to visit the overseas disney parks and I can die a happy man.

That said each of the deluxe resorts have a variety of programs here are a few:

• Wilderness lodge - Take the tour! You can tour the lodge which lasts a couple hours that goes into the history of the US park service lodges that the WL was based on, they show you how the animal totems in the lodge are set at different levels based on where they would be in nature, the artwork, artifacts, and even take you over to the DVC area to show you the train and memorabilia Walt Disney owned with his love of the railroad. They also have rubber duckie races down silver creek in the afternoon. Ask for the hidden mickey list at the front desk and see if you can find all 10 of them! Take a walk to the Fort Wilderness resort and watch for deer, rabbits, and other wildlife.
    • Fort Wilderness - They have a petting zoo, horseback riding, hay rides, nature walk, and an off road Segway experience as well as many other things to do. Or just ride the internal busses and look at all the creative ways the campers decorate thier campsites with Disney characters and other seasonal decor.
    • Polynesian - Hula lessons, ladybird/ladybug releases, and the torch lighting ceremony at dusk plus many others.
    • Animal Kingdom lodge - Check out the activity board located in the waiting area outside of Boma's I think this resort has more activities than any other resort they have tours, fireside story telling, animal encounters on the savanna, night vision goggles at night, If I had to go to WDW for a day and not go into any parks this is the resort I probably would choose to stay at since there is just so much to do there.
    • Boardwalk inn and the boardwalk - Just a fun place to walk though and soak up the atmosphere, find the hidden Mickys on the carousel in the boardwalk lobby, find Lucy the elephant based on a famous hotel in New Jersey, There are activities throughout the day there you can join in or just walk around and enjoy the atmosphere of the boardwalk. In the evenings you can sometimes see street performers on the boardwalk entertaining, there's also some nice shops and restaurants (Spoodles and flying fish cafe are nice) or walk over to the swan and dolphin and enjoy the garden grove or Todd Englishes blue zoo which is phenomenal. Grab an ice creme cone at beaches and creame at the beach club and walk around the lake, that's nice too. I also recommend just taking the boat around the Epcot resort area, it runs between Epcot's International gateway entrance and the boat dock at DHS with stops at the Boardwalk, Beach and Yacht clubs, and the Swan and Dolphin.

Ok we're getting away from the resorts, so here's some other ideas:

• Two Words Mini-Golf! - You get a free round of Mini Golf with your MYW package so why not use it, Fantasia Gardens is next to the Dolphin resort you can walk to it from there, The winterSummerland you'll have to drive or take the Blizzard Beach bus from your resort.
    • La Nuba - A great show if you have not seen it before it is a great way to spend a couple hours outside the parks.
    • While your down in DTD spend some time shopping and enjoying the entertainment down there. You can easily spend hours in World of Disney alone, plus your grandson might have fun playing in the leggo store's play area.
    • You can buy a pass for DisneyQuest if your grandson is into video games and other interactive experiences there's a lot to do in there and if you go during the day on a weekday it's generally not that crowded and you can do your favorites multiple times.
    • Water Sports on Bay lake - Ok I know you don't swim but you don't have to (life jackets required), they have para sailing, water skiing, wake baording and other activities available though Sammy Duval's water sports located at the Contemporary resort.
    • Have High tea with Alice, the mad hatter, and white rabbit at the Grand Floridian. Much cheaper than the princess tea and not just for girls.
    • Sign your grandson up for the pirates cruise while you go have a spa treatment at the Grand Floridian spa.
    • And finally: learn to drive a race car! Or just arrange a ride along for you and your grandson at the Richard Petty experience, I can think of no better way to secure the "coolest Grandma on earth" title in your grandson's eyes than to have him watch you drive a race car... He'll have the ultimate bragging rights on the playground with that one.

I'm sure I've forgotten something but that should give you a lot to think over there. Have a wonderful trip!
    Last edited by Jerren; 03-15-2009 at 07:20 AM.
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

Good luck to your trip...
    Music is my LIFE!!!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

First of all, I love all the ideas. Secondly, I plan on doing this, when my 16 year old grandson, and his mom are off to Universal Studios.

You have mentioned so many things that I didn't know about, and a few that I have. I am really going to have a lot of fun planning that day.

Actually, back in 2005, my grandson Sean, and I watched his mom do the Richard Petty Riding experience. She loved it. I am too chicken for such things. She is hoping, some day, to afford the Driving Experience. Maybe when Sean can do it, they will both sign up.

Last edited by Barbaraann; 03-15-2009 at 07:56 AM.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Review: Wonderland Tea Party at the 1900 Park Fare Restaurant, Grand Floridian Resort -

Associated Content

The Wonderland Tea Party with Alice, looked great, so I googled it. However, it is for children aged 4 to 10. Maybe if I................never mind, I don't think I can pass for 10.

• Disneyholic

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    Review: Wonderland Tea Party at the 1900 Park Fare Restaurant, Grand Floridian Resort -

Associated Content

The Wonderland Tea Party with Alice, looked great, so I googled it. However, it is for children aged 4 to 10. Maybe if I................never mind, I don't think I can pass for 10.

Well if your grand son (sorry I didn't know how old he is) can pass for 10 I believe one adult can go with.

There are other tea offerings at the tea room for adults and children, sans character, here's a link to all ears with a comprehensive list of offerings: Garden View Lounge Afternoon Tea - Grand Floridian I find a good afternoon tea break at the GF a very nice civilized way to relax and avoid the hottest and often busiest part of the day at the MK then go back after a nice relaxing break and tour the park until dinner. But it's not for everyone.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I definitely agree, and I am probably going to partake of Afternoon Tea some time during my vacation.

My grandson has been going to Disney World since he was 10, and he has enjoyed many of the fun activities. I remember the first time that we went to Epcot, and he discovered the Kidcot Spots. We thought that he would get bored with Epcot quickly, and we would be back at our hotel by noon, swimming. Quite the contrary. I still remember how much fun he had doing all the countries, and watching Illuminations that night.

I haven't been to the Fantasia Mini Golf for so many years, and I definitely would love to go back to play that course again. I am especially sad that I left my camera in the car when we did go. It was one of the few vacations where we had a car. I'd love to get some pics of what I remember to be a fun course, and no, I don't mind playing alone.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

If you're willing to go off property, there's a huge outlet mall near Downtown Disney. Take your time and you could kill several hours there.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I'm not a big shopper. Besides, I am traveling lite, and if I buy too many souvenirs, I will be broke, and I will have no way to carry them home, or no place to put them when I get there. I do plan on a few pins maybe, and a t-shirt, if I can find one that I like that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Seems like the prices have gone up a lot on my last few vacations to Disney World.

I won't have a car that day, since I don't drive. I will be dependent on Disney World transportation.

• Disneyholic

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    I'm not a big shopper. Besides, I am traveling lite, and if I buy too many souvenirs, I will be broke, and I will have no way to carry them home, or no place to put them when I get there. I do plan on a few pins maybe, and a t-shirt, if I can find one that I like that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Seems like the prices have gone up a lot on my last few vacations to Disney World.

I won't have a car that day, since I don't drive. I will be dependent on Disney World transportation.

The good news is there seems to be more sales and clearance items around WDW the past couple times I was down there. I like to travel light too, so what I usually do is head to DTD and buy most the souvenirs at world of Disney and just ship them home. The savings from my AP or Disney Visa discount and the lack of sales tax generally covers or comes close to covering the shipping costs.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

My husband always tells me to do that. He says, "you never know. You might find a big sale on scrapbook stuff, since you like to scrap, and you should just have it shipped home." That is very true.

I should actually make a point to go to Downtown Disney and check out the scrapbook items. I did not do that on my last trip, and I am sure there will be some more current things.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast