• Iron-Clad Allie

Star Tours 2 Coming To WDW?

Intertwined with a new rumor that would place the opening of Disneyland's Star Tours 2 project is a buzz that the suits at WDW are wanting a more basic, lower budgeted version for Disney's Hollywood Studios. Still, at least we would be talking about a new attraction (that could always be more lavishly updated later), as opposed to nothing. I would imagine that the targeted opening date would either be 2010 or 2011 (in line with what is being said about that of DL).

If rumors prove to be true... DL, WDW and TDR will each get a version of Star Tours 2. WDW's ride would likely depend on whether the Oriental Land Company joins up with the Walt Disney Company in mutually financing the project.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Re: Star Tours 2 Coming To WDW?

Oh boy. I get sick of hear about how from Mermaid to Star tours and everything inbetween..... "WDW wants a lower budget more basic version of the attraction." And thats not directed at the auther, its directly had the management and increasing demonstrates they have no idea what in means "never be completed so long as there in imagination left in the world."

I don't know if this rumor is true, but based on WDW history.... I believe it. oh well

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Kidgenie View Post
    Oh boy. I get sick of hear about how from Mermaid to Star tours and everything inbetween..... "WDW wants a lower budget more basic version of the attraction." And thats not directed at the auther, its directly had the management and increasing demonstrates they have no idea what in means "never be completed so long as there in imagination left in the world."

I don't know if this rumor is true, but based on WDW history.... I believe it. oh well
    Sorry about that, kidgenie. Didn't mean for the news to "rain on your parade." As I said, the good news (leastwise according to the new buzz) is that WDW intends to get the new ride. If the economy improves, it's reasonable to assume the suits would want a full-on lavish Star Tours 2 ride, with all the bells and whistles. Perk up!
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Kidgenie View Post

I couldn't agree more. Although there were also rumors that WDW wouldn't be getting Star Tour 2 at all. I'm not sure which to believe, but either rumor does not put WDW's skinflint management in a very good light. How long do they expect to coast along on their rep without inspiring a backlash? Just once, wouldn't it be nice if they took some pride in their work instead of continually trying to get away with the minimum? They're the ones who stand to benefit the most. Give us a good reason to come to your resort to spend our hard earned money, and we will be there in droves.

With sites like Micechat today, there is no way they to hide deficiencies of one resort compared to the other. If they skimp on Star Tours 2, it will be painfully obvious. I say do it right the first time, and you will have a huge draw in your park for many years to come.
    Last edited by disneyfann121; 03-21-2009 at 03:16 AM.

Anything would be an improvement over what's there now.

• Minion

Wouldn't surprise me in the least, though I'd wonder where they would make the cuts? The main changes are supposed to be new graphics, 3D screens, and a roof that opens up to an imax-ish screen at one point. The only place they could realistically make cuts (based on this limited info) is the last one (roof / imax) but that would necessiate changes to the rest of the show...which might be more expensive than a simple clone? Anywho fate has me leaving FL for CA next year so I won't have to deal with the persistent disappointment anymore. I will only miss AK but no changes to that park are in offing as far as I can tell so that won't be hard to palate.
    Down with the Hat

• All-American

Quote Originally Posted by SomethingWicked451 View Post
    But I'll definitely miss the Death Star trench sequence, if they don't have it in the new one.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

I dunno, it depends. While I am all for a new Star Tours...the "Creative Minds of George Lucas and Walt Disney Imagineering" don't have 100% winning streaks anymore. They are hit or miss these days with nothing in between.

So while I am all for a new Star Tours, lets hope it is the best that it can be, not "we want a more economical one". And I know it will be CGI...but there is something that just feels better about the old model-style special effects. I think between the CGI and the currently inability of the WDI/Lucasfilm to write intelligent scripts, Star Tours update could equal out to be a less charming attraction.

• All-American

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb View Post
    I dunno, it depends. While I am all for a new Star Tours...the "Creative Minds of George Lucas and Walt Disney Imagineering" don't have 100% winning streaks anymore. They are hit or miss these days with nothing in between.

So while I am all for a new Star Tours, lets hope it is the best that it can be, not "we want a more economical one". And I know it will be CGI...but there is something that just feels better about the old model-style special effects. I think between the CGI and the currently inability of the WDI/Lucasfilm to write intelligent scripts, Star Tours update could equal out to be a less charming attraction.
    Good points. I think I might just prefer if they refurbished the current one in higher resolution and new special effects... and took out the cabin creaking, of course.

This is nice...A new attraction will be very great...
    Music is my LIFE!!!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

That's what they said about the DL parking lot . . .

WDW management needs to take off their blinders and take a class in what happened to DL, when then did Tomorrowland '98, the Country Bear Jamboree Playhouse coup d'etat by Pooh d'bear, and building on the cheap in the DL parking lot - learn some lessons WDW! Get yur' head outta the paul pressler "management book for dummies".

It's sadly becoming more and more apparent that WDW and Jay Rasulo are becoming to Iger, what DLR and Paul Pressler became to Eisner.