Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Iron-Clad Allie

Test Track - GM Banks One Last Turn ..While Toyota Is "Moving Forward"?

GM's last lap on Epcot's Test Track? -- OrlandoSentinel.com

According to the March 4th edition of the OrlandoSentinel.com, a lagging, struggling General Motors may soon pull it's wheels out from under Test Track. A 10-year sponsorship contract signed in 1999 is about up ..and renewal does not look good.

In an attempt to negotiate a new deal, an agreement has remained unreachable. GM seeks a legal understanding by March 31st. If the pact falls through, Disney stands to lose $5 million annually in sponsorship payments.

Test Track is visited by approximately 11 million guests per year, which substantially contributes to making the ride second only to the Magic Kingdom in terms of attendance ..and ranks third in America. From the onset, the attraction has served to promote new automotive advances and vehicles for GM. Unfortunately, the company is pretty much flat broke. It seems destined to join the ranks of former attraction sponsors such as AT&T, GE, FedEx and Exxon.

Amidst all that both Disney and GM are at risk of losing from a severed relationship, there is a glimmer of hope. Once again we look to Japan. To reiterate what Al has affirmed, a lushly sponsored Star Tours 2 ride coming to DLR (and recently rumored for WDW as well)seems to be contingent on forging a bargain with the Oriental Trading Company to share the costs of the ride's design and development.

Toyota very well could be the knight in shining armor for Teat Track. The automotive manufacturer is eyeing the opportunity. But, they would likely desire big changes in the attraction, which Disney most likely would not. This my friends is the tempest in the teapot. Although, Toyota is making marginal adjustments to offset the impact of the poor economy, it is still turning healthy profits. As a potential new sponsor, this "moving forward", forward moving company appears to be our odds on favorite.

To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Inappropriate

Re: Test Track - GM Banks One Last Turn ..While Toyota Is "Moving Forward"?

Toyota? I'm fine fine with that.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• Indiana Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    Me too and I would assume it wont break down nearly as often..

• Disneyholic

Toyota very well could be the knight in shining armor for Teat Track.
    Ok folks I have to ask, was this a typo or intentional?

If Toyota wants to Sponsor Test Track I say more power to them, maybe they can add the cool power distribution graphics they have in their hybrids to the attraction...
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

I wish it were Honda taking over. But, as long as someone takes it over, I'm cool with that.
    -Tim

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Jerren View Post
    Ok folks I have to ask, was this a typo or intentional?
    I think you hit the nail on the head.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerren View Post
    If Toyota wants to Sponsor Test Track I say more power to them, maybe they can add the cool power distribution graphics they have in their hybrids to the attraction...
    Hybrid power distribution graphics would technologically advance the ride as an "experimental prototype" attraction. This would place the ride in line with EPCOT's acromonious definition more so than most attractions there. I'm certain that Toyota would add all kinds of upgraded graphics and other sophisticated interactive elements throughout Test Track.

Quote Originally Posted by halltd View Post
    I wish it were Honda taking over. But, as long as someone takes it over, I'm cool with that.
    Never say never.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post

Toyota very well could be the knight in shining armor for Teat Track. The automotive manufacturer is eyeing the opportunity. But, they would likely desire big changes in the attraction, which Disney most likely would not.
    ok the bold area caught my attention. If Disney looses the oppurtunity with Toyota because it does not want to make some changes then they are fools. At that point whoever makes that decision in WDW should be fired along with Jay Rasulo and his pathetic team

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    ok the bold area caught my attention. If Disney looses the oppurtunity with Toyota because it does not want to make some changes then they are fools. At that point whoever makes that decision in WDW should be fired along with Jay Rasulo and his pathetic team
    Could not have said it any better.

Blog Entries

Toyota requiring changes would be great. That ride really needs some life injected into it. I'd love to see some changes to it.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ride Warrior

Toyota very well could be the knight in shining armor for Teat Track. The automotive manufacturer is eyeing the opportunity. But, they would likely desire big changes in the attraction, which Disney most likely would not.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Nothing would please me more than to see Rasalo and his underlings shown the door. Just hope they "would" let it hit them on the way out.

If push comes to shove, I think Iger would override Rasolo ..and hopefully come to view him as more of a liability than an asset for the company. Don't think this would sit well with Disney Chairman John E. Pepper Jr, or Principal Creative Advisor for Walt Disney Imagineering, John Lasseter ..or the shareholders for that matter. No way would they allow Rasalo to risk losing a principal sourse for WDW profits and positive PR-driven high attendance.

In reaction to Jay, I could just hear the chairman screaming out to the WDC Board of Directors, "HE's NOT A PEPPER!"
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 03-25-2009 at 02:52 AM.

• Disappearing/Reappearing

I always thought Test TRack was fantastic advertising. I mean, you walk out of a ride, and into a car show room. HOnestly...we had NO intention of buying another car for two more years...until our vacation in Oct. We saw that Saturn SUV...and saw how much more room we would have with an SUV than with our compact car....and started looking once we got home.

OUr two major picks were Saturn and Chevy.......because of the Test Track cars.

I admit....Ford won out though. LOL

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchy View Post
    I always thought Test TRack was fantastic advertising. I mean, you walk out of a ride, and into a car show room. HOnestly...we had NO intention of buying another car for two more years...until our vacation in Oct. We saw that Saturn SUV...and saw how much more room we would have with an SUV than with our compact car....and started looking once we got home.

OUr two major picks were Saturn and Chevy.......because of the Test Track cars.

I admit....Ford won out though. LOL
    I would call this a premo example of Test Track's potent commercial sway.

• Mostly Harmless.

At least it will have a higher resale value...
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

• Inappropriate

Quote Originally Posted by Coastierox View Post
    At least it will have a higher resale value...
    but more likely to become a target of theft.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• Disneyholic

but more likely to become a target of theft.
    LOL I guess they will have to buy some of the police edition segways with the light's and sirens to chase the cars until they hit the barricades at the security gates...
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast