Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Super

Walt Disney World... alone!

Hello guys!

Some of you may have read my trip report from Disneyland Resort Paris, but I'm now asking about WDW! After I finish travelling around Europe and the UK I'll be heading over to the US for about 20 days in July. A Disney-head friend of mine was going to fly over from Australia for this time to enjoy everything with me but it now looks like he won't be able to come I'll still be going either way though and was wondering if you could give me a few hints on enjoying the resort by myself? Have any of you done it and enjoyed it? I'm sure I will still have a blast but it might be a bit strange being at Disney World all by myself!

Do many of the rides have single person lines? That could be a way of getting through the July crowds! (I'm assuming that July will be a busy time? I'll be there around the 10th I think)

Anyway, my US trip is going to look something like this:
    New York (4 days)
    WDW (7 days)
    San Fran (4 days - here I will be getting a tour of Pixar's Emeryville Campus! Connections are good to have :P)
    LA (2/3 days)

I will probably head into Disneyland for a day just to say that I've been to three resorts in a year!

Anyway, any tips would be great

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: Walt Disney World... alone!

I always go to WDW alone. There's a few rides that have single rider lines. Test Track and I thin Mission: Space at EPCOT have them. Sometimes Space Mountain has one, but that ride closes in April for like a year-long rehab (much needed). Toy Story Mania used to have single rider, but then they got rid of it. I can't remember what other rides might have it. I usually just go with the flow and ride whatever has a short wait at the time.

I go alone a lot. The only rides with currently active single rider lines are:

TT
    RNRC
    EE

If you manage FP, and pay attention to wait times, you can get a ton done quicker than when you are with people. The best part is being able to do what you want, when you want.

• Im the fun mommy :)

You will have a ball, and hey you could meet someone here who goes all the time you could meet up with! I often wish I could go alone, lugging all my kids stuff all day gets tiring LOL!
    -------------------------------------------
    I miss dole whips......... can someone mail me one??

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

I've gone alone and had a great time. Try to find something not part of the normal routine, like a tour. I went to the Dining with an Imagineer lunch at the Brown Derby and had a great time!

Since you call the shots, this is the time you can do what YOU want to do.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Super

Hmmm yeah a tour sounds interesting. I might go on the longer tour that goes behind the scenes of a few of the parks... But it all depends on how much money I have when I get there :P

Quote Originally Posted by mister_peterman View Post
    Hmmm yeah a tour sounds interesting. I might go on the longer tour that goes behind the scenes of a few of the parks... But it all depends on how much money I have when I get there :P
    I recommend the Key's to the Kingdom tour at MK. I just did it and loved it. They talk a lot about the history of WDW and take you backstage and into the utilidor. It is a 5 hour walking tour that is well worth a look.

• Super

Also... how long should I wait before booking? Is it safe to leave it for another month or so? Or even later? I just don't want to book it now before travel plans are definite.

Thanks for the help guys

• Banned User

Do WDW alone. The place is simply too big to have somebody else hanging around and slowing you down. Any respectable Disney fan will enjoy the place regardless of being alone or not.
    So enjoy!!

• Super

And what are some cash-saving tips. I'm getting a bigger hit on accommodation now that I'm going alone (paying per room not per person) and there isn't much I can probably do about that... Are there supermarkets nearby the resort? And is it a good idea to do the thing where Disney get your bags off the plane and deliver them to your room? Sounds great to me but I kinda like having my bag with me as much as possible until I can lock it in my room!

Also is that meal plan thingo good? $40 a day I think it was... how much would you be looking at paying for the same meals without the meal plan?

Thanks again!

• Disneyholic

First off, Don't be afraid of going alone, I've done it several times over the years and I love not being rushed or having to adapt to others schedules it's very relaxing and you get to meet a lot of interesting people. Also keep in mind there's always micechat meets and other people you make know here that are going the same time with is always fun to meet the faces behind the posts.

Quote Originally Posted by mister_peterman View Post
    And what are some cash-saving tips. I'm getting a bigger hit on accommodation now that I'm going alone (paying per room not per person) and there isn't much I can probably do about that...
    There are a lot of discounts available right now, the buy 4 get 3 free, the spring rates specials, the Military rate specials, and there are even specials for educators, nurses and other professions offered throughout the year. Keep your eyes open or work with an Authorized Disney vacation planner who will rebook for you if the price drops. With the new offers from Disney due out next month that might save you some money. (especially if you have a Disney Visa card... )

Are there supermarkets nearby the resort?
    Yes and there are some that will deliver as well for less than the cost of a taxi or rental car. If you decide to go with a hired car (they run around $100) most offer a 30 min grocery stop and most seem to stop at one of the two Publix supermarkets located along the way to WDW. If yor on a budget I would go for the grocery delivery. Several of the DVC resorts also have common food items like doughnuts, milk, oj, poptarts, etc. but it's generally cheaper to have that delivered.

And is it a good idea to do the thing where Disney get your bags off the plane and deliver them to your room? Sounds great to me but I kinda like having my bag with me as much as possible until I can lock it in my room!
    Your not alone, if you don't want them to pull your bags simply don't put the yellow DME tags on them and collect them yourself at baggage claim. And walk them down to the DME desk and have them placed on the bus. There where some issues early on but most have been resolved since then and I have used the service several times in the past year with no issues. Note the recent changes to the service if you are arriving late or early in the day.

It's a free service, and DME saves you a lot of money on the transfers, however it's not as fast as hiring a towncar or rental car, you share the bus with other resorts and they pick you up at least 3 hours before your flight. Some people like to squeeze every last second of the magic and town cars and all generally will give you about an hour more on the back end as well as the grocery stop up front. (arrival time with the 30 min stop is about the same as DME's arrival time)

Also is that meal plan thingo good? $40 a day I think it was... how much would you be looking at paying for the same meals without the meal plan?

Thanks again!
    Opinions vary on that one, but you can save a good amount of money with it but you need to work the plan. Get dinner reservations, use all your meals etc. I have info and tips on how to get the most out of the plan on my site.

There's also a less expensive quick service dining plan wich is similar to the regular dining plan except it has 2 quick service meals and 2 snacks per night of stay and a refillable cup (resort use only). I have info and tips for the quick service meal plan as well and it may be a better value for you if you don't plan on doing a sit down meal each night. (may just be me but when on my own I tend to eat more quick service since I don't like eating alone)

Have a wonderful trip and let me know if you need any help!
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

Blog Entries

While my greatest enjoyment of WDW is sharing the experience with other people I do have to admit to wanting to do it alone every now and then. Like TDLFan stated, sometimes I don't want to be slowed down by someone else and have to do things I hate. I like to be greedy, and do what I want when I want.

I never get to ride the train or see TSI because the people I go with don't enjoy that so it doesn't happen. Just once I'd like to go and do whatever I want, when I want. Unfortunately I live too far away to be able to do that.

• Nutty about Disney parks

If you got the money to stay at a Disney Deluxe Resort I would say go for it. You might have time (since you're going by yourself) to take advantage of and enjoy the Deluxe resort amenities. Dine at their sit-down restaraunts, drink in their bars, and such.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Banned User

Hopefully, Space Mountain will be open in late November, according to several sites.

• Characters are my friends

I love going to WDW solo. It's a lot of fun.
    Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 98- Port OrleansMarch 03- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 03- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 05- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 06- AS Sports (Solo Trip)May 24, 06 to Jan 5, 07- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 07- offsite (solo trip)March 1-3, 2007- Dad + Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 07- CP (CS)Aug 10-12, 07- GF/P&PMay 21-Aug 15, 08- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 08- AKLMarch 25-29, 09 (off-site)Aug 10, 09-Jan 2, 10- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (East)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL Dream

Jan 12- Aug 5, 2005- Fantasyland Merchandise
    May 24, 2006 to Jan 5, 2007- Character Attendant
    May 16- Aug 10, 2007- Epcot WS Custodial/Seasonal CA
    May 21- July 5, 2008: Casey's (QSFB); July 6-Aug 15, 2008: character attendant
    Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: Toy Story Mania
    Jan 3-May 14, 2010: Great Movie Ride
    May 16, 2010~ Fulltime
    Montclair State Campus Rep- Fall 07, Spring 08, Fall 08, Spring 09

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast