Post Disney World in a day - Magic Kingdom

I was a chaperone for a group of 25 high school students attending a convention in Orlando. We had only one free day to visit Disney World, so we chose to spend the day at the Magic Kingdom.

We're from Los Angeles - all of the kids have been to Disneyland, but for many, this was their first trip to Disney World. Everyone had a great time, but the consensus at the end of the day was that Disneyland is better than the Magic Kingdom.

One of the first things I noticed is that parts of the Magic Kingdom seemed very outdated and tacky - The Transportation & Ticket Center, Fantasyland facades... perhaps the construction and level of theming are not as elaborate as Disneyland. I also felt like the Magic Kingdom isn't maintained as well as it's west coast counterpart - lots of chipped paint, fading colors, etc.

Overall a fun day, but in my opinion the original is still the best. Thoughts?

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Re: Disney World in a day - Magic Kingdom

I love the Magic Kingdom. I am looking forward to spending a lot of time there when I go to Disney World in August. I guess that there will always be the comparisons between Disneyland, and Magic Kingdom at Disney World. For me, a Disneyland trip, and a WDW trip are both enjoyable. They are different in many ways, but I always do have a good time.

• Park Lover

I haven't been to the Magic Kingdom in over 10 years. I am an AP holder to Disneyland and have been too many times to count. Before I moved to Socal I was a WDW person though. If we are strictly comparing Disneyland and Magic Kingdom, I think many agree Disneyland is superior in most all things. It's just more enchanting, they stay on theme more, Main Street still has the Magic Shop, Penny Arcade, ect instead of those being facades for plush. It is more dense which helps with the theming and magic. There is a lot more to do in a smaller space. And plus, the entire enchantment that it really is Walt's park. Everytime I leave I like to look up at his apartment window above the Firehouse and say, "Bye Walt, see ya next time"

On a whole, as a resort though, WDW has so much more to offer for the vacationer. It's why we are going for a week next month. And I am very excited!

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

Mel- stated it very well. As you can see by my countdown ticker, we are close to our trip next month. I was last there in 1990 with my daughter who was 6 years old. Now, she's almost 25 and wanted to return. I feel very fortunate to live so close to Disneyland and I really love the place. But I feel that the Magic Kingdom will be a wonderful place to visit and I'm looking forward to it. The magic is where you make it.

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Whew, so far everything positive about the Magic Kingdom. I still have no issues with Magic Kingdom. I just don't look at the park with faults in mind. I have no desire to. I enjoy the park for what it is as I enjoy Disneyland for what it is... theme parks that are meant to make a trip away from home highly enjoyable.

I can't wait for my next trip to the Magic Kingdom and the thought of never having to walk around the park picking it apart piece by piece like many seem to do. I mean the people who complain really can't do anything about it except complain over and over.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• Seasick

I think your observations of the Magic Kingdom are pretty spot-on. It just can't compare to Disneyland. It feels like the most stagnant of the WDW parks.

It's a shame you didn't see the rest of the resort. WDW needs to be judged as the sum of its parts. Comparing the two Magic Kingdom-esqe parks is very different than comparing the two resorts as a whole.

Magic Kingdom does have a few elements that distinguish it from its west coast bretheren: the excellent Phillharmagic, a spruced-up and best-in-the-world Haunted Mansion, and the beloved People Mover, a.k.a. the Tomorrowland Transit Authority.

So yeah, Disneyland vs. the Magic Kingdom favors the former, but the two resorts as a whole? That's a tougher call, but both have amazing experiences that the other does not.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

Fantasyland (or Orem, UT, when I absolutely have to)

Personally, I loved the Magic Kingdom. I try not to compare it to Disneyland's, it's really a very different park, and I find it completely adorable and charming! I don't see it as tacky or outdated at all. And I'm not sure where the idea that it isn't as clean or well kept up as Disneyland comes from...I went to both parks last year and WDW actually looked CLEANER than DL.

• Banned User

I also like the fact that the MK still has the Country Bears!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Micoofy Duck View Post
    Whew, so far everything positive about the Magic Kingdom. I still have no issues with Magic Kingdom. I just don't look at the park with faults in mind. I have no desire to. I enjoy the park for what it is as I enjoy Disneyland for what it is... theme parks that are meant to make a trip away from home highly enjoyable.

I can't wait for my next trip to the Magic Kingdom and the thought of never having to walk around the park picking it apart piece by piece like many seem to do. I mean the people who complain really can't do anything about it except complain over and over.
    We complain because we care. We want to see this park brought back to its former glory. If only management would pull their collective heads out of their rear ends and get a clue....

• Nutty about Disney parks

Well both Disneyland and Magic Kingdom are always gonna have their good and their bad. MK has some classic attractions that Disneyland no longer haves and other classic attractions remain exclusive to only Disneyland.

In the end it's not perfect but it's kinda equal. I always assumed that Disneyland would be the park that would host all of the original Walt-era classic attractions and Magic Kingdom would host all the modern rides and replacements. But now that I think about it...that would've been disasterous for both parks.

hmm.....I think that magic kingdom was cleaner and a more fun atmosphere. However last time I was out in LA was many years ago so I am sure some things have changed since then.