Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WDW with rain

WDW with rain

hello guys I am leaving for WDW on Friday (wahoo!!) but it semms according to weather.com that its likely to rain/thunderstorms throughout our whole trip. Will this be a problem? will things close? please say no becuase ive never been before
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz-c7Ees4QQ

Come Celebrate with us, we can't wait to meet ya!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Re: WDW with rain

Florida rain is different from most states where it can be raining in your front yard but not your back yard due to the coastal jet streams.

Most of the time they don't close anything unless there's lightning, which is a safety hazard but my advice to you is, bring a poncho.

Also, don't be tempted to leave the park if a hard rain comes through, chances are in 10-30 minutes the storm will pass and most of the park visitors will have left, leaving shorter lines and more fun for you.

• Only the Lonely

Blog Entries

The only problem that I encountred last year was when we were at the magic kingdom, and there was a flash of rain and thunder, they closed the rides until the rain and thunder were gone. I was going to go on the goofy's brainstrom and they told us they were not going to let any riders on and If memory serves me right, I think I overheard the PA systme about the rides closing temporarely. The rides were closed I think for a good 15 mins until the wheather was okey again.
    "Your dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." Walt Disney

[

One ride that has a problem running in the rain is Test Track. Besides that, most attractions will continue to run as long as it isn't lightning.
    Last edited by Krankenstein; 03-23-2009 at 08:47 AM.

• Hello there

Blog Entries

Welcome to Florida weather!! Grab a poncho and enjoy the park. The only times I have ever experienced closures was during lightening storms, and than the rides were opened back up after the storms have passed.
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• Happy Memories

Rain shouldn't be an issue. It'll pass quickly and there's plenty of indoor attractions and shops to keep you occupied until it does. Just be prepared and don't let it dampen your spirits or ruin your trip.

That being said, I really hope it does rain. We could REALLY use it here in Florida.

• Mostly Harmless.

The rain is the best time to hit all the busy rides with outside queues. Plus most the time it rains around 3 pm and is done by about 330... Have fun!
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

Since a large percentage of attractions at WDW are located indoors it should not be an issue. As others have already said be sure to pack a lightweight poncho because the ones the park can be pricey! Also, if it looks like it is going to be an on again, off again kind of rain pattern be sure that you are flexible enough to get in the outdoor attractions when you can rather than when you want to.

Rain is what I like to call "Part of the Experience" once you get used to it raining, its just as fun as when it's dry. Unlike California, Many things at WDW are covered. In Florida, It's usually warm too, so you will probably not be very cold outside and you will probably dry off quickly.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

When we were there in late November, a big storm came through, it was bending trees over sideways with the wind and it just poured down rain. Then it would stop, then it would start again...it went on for most of a day and night. But it didn't seem to cause many problems overall. A few areas emptied out fairly quickly and there were no fireworks at Epcot that night. The weather will probably be warm and the rain will make it seem muggy, but otherwise you'll still have a great time.

• Mostly Harmless.

Quote Originally Posted by JasperIN View Post
    Since a large percentage of attractions at WDW are located indoors it should not be an issue. As others have already said be sure to pack a lightweight poncho because the ones the park can be pricey! Also, if it looks like it is going to be an on again, off again kind of rain pattern be sure that you are flexible enough to get in the outdoor attractions when you can rather than when you want to.
    Actually the ponchos are less than 5 bucks.
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

• Disappearing/Reappearing

we always carry ponchos with us. You can find great ones at any Walmart or sporting store. Ours have great little packing cases. I suggest buying different colors for everyone....makes it easier when you're in a rush to throw them on.

It rains in Florida all the time.....just ignore it, throw on the poncho and have a good time. Most tourists will duck out of the rain...this might give you a chance to find a short line!

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

here's my experiences with rain and WDW.

Coming from Texas and seeing weather.com showing it will rain all 7 days is a real bummer but realize that it will be a completely different story once you arrive.

Expect every day to have some POSSIBLE scattered and sometimes light showers that pop up quickly and disappear soon enough after a good handful of minutes. Sometimes the clouds look like its going to rain and never does.

Other days there COULD be heavy rain and you could get soaked if walking around without a poncho or you could be stuck in an attraction waiting for the heavy rain to clear up. I remember once at Epcot the rain came down so hard that my party was lucky enough to be near the Shrunk audience 3d attraction. When we came out it after the show was over we discovered the sky was back to a Sunny day. The rain gone for the rest of the day.

Another trip the rain came down super hard over at Hollywood Studios and but this one lasted 3 times longer than that Epcot day. We were stuck in the Great Movie Ride and were asked if we wanted to ride it again once it was over, which many did want to. The cast members knew how bad that day for rain was and helped us have fun inside.

Once the 2nd ride was over we were asked to step out due to lightening issues and to wait over by the exit where a group of people were. We were stuck inside the exit waiting area for about 10 to 15 minutes until finally the rain cleared up and the sun came back out. Rain gone for the day.

On a 3rd trip around Christmas time me and my party were getting ready back at the Wilderness Lodge hotel for a Christmas Magic Kingdom party and it was rainning off and on outside. Finally we just boarded the bus in the rain and took a bus drive in the rain to the park where we were stuck at the bus drop off for MK for 10 to 15 minutes because the rain wasn't letting up. Finally with ponchos and umbrellas we braved the run to the front gate.

The heavy rain and lightening finally stopped at around the time we got into the park but did sprinkle off and on with very light rain the rest of the night. Some nights COULD be just wet the entire night but people are still out enjoying what they payed for and the parks are open and the rides are open in the rain as long as there's no lightening. The park is use to this weather behaviour and you learn to adapt to it IF the weather decides to shed rain on you.

My point is on my almost 10 trips in the parks over the past decade these were the only 3 big rain days I had and experienced. The rest of my 7 day trips to the parks were always sunny, clear, breezy, cloudy, cool, hot, and always rain free.

Also during one of my trips to the resort during the Halloween parties I remember Weather.com claiming that it was going to rain the entire trip. This was what it said the day before we arrived. The first day in the hotel I checked the weather channel who was now reporting sunny/clear days for the entire trip with no chance of rain. Funny how that works. Magic I guess.

So don't let Weather.com ruin your hopes. They could say "Orlando" is going to have showers but for the showers don't reach your park you chose for the day. But still know that it could get really bad at the parks but just be prepared. Rain at WDW is just a weird occurance that everyone deals with but isn't a downer to any family vacation.

You should have fun no matter what and there shouldn't be a day where it rains "all day", it pretty much is just always scattered rain and/or off and on for a few hours out of the entire day, you know if rain is in the forecast.
    Last edited by Micoofy Duck; 03-23-2009 at 02:26 PM.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Coastierox View Post
    The rain is the best time to hit all the busy rides with outside queues. Plus most the time it rains around 3 pm and is done by about 330... Have fun!
    That's in the summer. Youcan set your watch by the summer storms, which are almost daily. Springtime rain is different. Early this morning it was sunny then it rains real good for maybe an hour or so and it's been cloudy the rest of the day. But now I see the clouds are breaking up, so hopefully it'll be sunny tomorrow. I know we need the rain but I hate rain!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

double post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast