Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Post D23 takes over One Man's Dream

D23 officially takes over the One Man's Dream attraction today at Disney's Hollywood Studios park. I was able to interview Becky Cline of the Walt Disney Archives about this change and what it means for the attraction.

While not much about the attraction will change, this is a very good sign that Disney is committed to keeping the attraction around a while longer. It is nice to see some Disney history in the Florida parks and I'd be happy to see the trend (getting treasures from the Archives in front of public eyes) continue at WDW and in all of the Disney parks.

I was not able to get confirmation about any such D23 sponsorships of other attractions at Disneyland or elsewhere, but one can assume that if the association brings additional guests to One Man's Dream that we'll see the idea spread.

Personally, I'd like to see the Archives push for occasional updates to the One Man's Dream attraction and would like to see them be involved with the new Opera House exhibit at Disneyland (or perhaps a Walt Disney exhibit at the new DCA).

You can read my posting about D23 and One Man's Dream on our Front Page here: D23 Goes Hollywood
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: D23 takes over One Man's Dream

Id' like to see some of the displays there rotated every now and then so you can see some fresh new things instead the same old models and whatnot every time. Yeah they're cool to look at but...

• secure all cargo

Great news!

I like the direction Disney is going with this. I would like to see more history honored in the park, maybe D23 stands where guests can join the club and learn about Disney history in relation to the specefic park that guest is in.

Bottom line Disney is taking the right approach with this initiative in conjuction with their new fan club.

• Disneyholic

Sounds like good news to me, if nothing else my daughter and I always stop in to gaze longingly at the VMK demo that they have there...
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Id' like to see some of the displays there rotated every now and then so you can see some fresh new things instead the same old models and whatnot every time. Yeah they're cool to look at but...
    I agree.. take Walt out of the fridge and display him. Still... using a tribute to Walt to sell this "fan club" seems a bit underhanded to me.

Good news...Thanks for this...
    Music is my LIFE!!!

• Disneyholic

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I agree.. take Walt out of the fridge and display him.
    Oh TDL that is just so wrong in so many ways... shame on you! You can do better that that. (Besides, he was cremated, not frozen, that's a popular myth...)

Still... using a tribute to Walt to sell this "fan club" seems a bit underhanded to me.
    Yeah I was kinda thinking that myself, a $75 annual fan club membership and an art magazine seems out of place in the parks...

I Signed up for D23 when it was announced just to see what it was all about and all since I was getting some questions about it. About a week or so later I got my D23 kit in the mail and it's very nice, I love the art magazine (albeit some of the information was already published or available in other formats the magazine itself is very well done), love the nice poster (aka the "special free gift" for signing up) and all but I think it's a bit much to try to sell in the parks to the average person and not entirely sure one man's dream is really the place to sell it, but if the sponsorship keeps the attraction around I think it's worth it.

• Pilot EdForceOne

I'm worried this attraction will shift from a tribute to the man and his works.. to a store
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    I'm worried this attraction will shift from a tribute to the man and his works.. to a store
    I actually spoke to them about that very issue on the interview yesterday. They have no intention of selling anything at One Man's Dream. In fact, she wasn't even sure if or where the D23 magazine would be sold in the park. The main D23 folks actually work for the Archives. They don't work for Marketing or Merchandise. While the D23 site links to Disney Shopping, they just aren't that interested in selling stuff - other than the magazine/membership. Disney shopping and some of the other business units are looking for things in the Archives to reproduce and sell, but that isn't really a function of D23.

The more I learn about the D23 folks and their mission, the more I seem to like it. They can go on and on about the cool stuff that they found in a box in their vault, but aside from a few details about the magazine or Expo, they really don't know anything about merchandise or even seem to care about it. I like that!

-Dusty
    Find us on Facebook:

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

And photos have been added to the interview on our home page: D23 Goes Hollywood

-Dusty
    Find us on Facebook:

• Disneyholic

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    I actually spoke to them about that very issue on the interview yesterday. They have no intention of selling anything at One Man's Dream. In fact, she wasn't even sure if or where the D23 magazine would be sold in the park. The main D23 folks actually work for the Archives. They don't work for Marketing or Merchandise. While the D23 site links to Disney Shopping, they just aren't that interested in selling stuff - other than the magazine/membership. Disney shopping and some of the other business units are looking for things in the Archives to reproduce and sell, but that isn't really a function of D23.

The more I learn about the D23 folks and their mission, the more I seem to like it. They can go on and on about the cool stuff that they found in a box in their vault, but aside from a few details about the magazine or Expo, they really don't know anything about merchandise or even seem to care about it. I like that!

-Dusty

That's really good to hear, I was impressed with the quality of the magazine here's hoping they maintain that quality going forward and keep the merchandising tie in's to a minimum or at least keep tight quality control over it.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    I actually spoke to them about that very issue on the interview yesterday. They have no intention of selling anything at One Man's Dream. In fact, she wasn't even sure if or where the D23 magazine would be sold in the park.
    Thanks for the follow-up Dusty.

I'm all for enhancing the show here with a new emphasis on it - but I hope it doesn't shift away from its tribute and look on history 'angle' it has now. Its a cool attraction and I hope they only enhance it.

Maybe they could get rid of the animation exhibit which is a ghost of itself without the look into the real studio anymore and expand their archives vision there.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

At least I got to see the exhibit before it gets a new update. thanks.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    I hope it doesn't shift away from its tribute and look on history 'angle' it has now. Its a cool attraction and I hope they only enhance it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micoofy Duck View Post
    At least I got to see the exhibit before it gets a new update. thanks.
    I don't think they are actually making any changes to the exhibit at this time. In my opinion, having the Archives associated with One Man's Dream helps ensure that it will retain a more historical focus.

It just seems really positive that the group which archives and maintains Disney's history is actually getting involved with an attraction at the parks about that very same history. I think this is nothing but good news.

-Dusty
    Find us on Facebook:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast