• All-American

Is going backstage normal during busy times at the MK?

I went to the Magic Kingdom on the day before New Years Eve, December 30, and by the sounds of it, we were lucky to get in before they closed the park for capacity. As it turned out, we entered the park minutes before a parade started (Dream Come True, I think, it was early afternoon) and Main Street was PACKED with people. As in if they tried to fit in any more people behind the ropes, they would have to start stacking them. So Cast Members actually were directing the entering crowds through the entrance to Cast Member parking on the southeast side of Main Street.

I had never seen this before, so I was rather shocked. I'm sort of a thematic purist, so I was surprised to see that they would allow hundreds of guests through such an unsightly part of the park. I was even sort of uncomfortable passing through the area, that kind of thing sort of ruins the magic for me. Now I'm curious, do they do this sort of thing often, and is this a relatively recent procedure or have they done this for a while now?

• Irrational Mr. Toad Fan

Re: Is going backstage normal during busy times at the MK?

Usually only on or around major holidays, and even then only when the park is at/near capacity. Definitely not something you would see on just a busy summer day. Thankfully, it's not as bad as Studios where Guests are directed backstage after every Fantasmic.

• Banned User

One of my big problems with the MK is how inadecuate the park has become and how quickly the management is at letting guests walk pass that smelly trash compactor behind Main Strret. BAD BAD SHOW. Maybe it's time they built DLP's arcades behind the MK's Main Street?

We normally visit around Christmas as well and this has become standard practice. I made a post about it after my last visit because it's one of my big pet peeves. They even do this after Fantasmic lets out. They send people backstage to exit the theatre and they emerge right by the stroller rental at the front gate.

I think they should just let less people into the parks. It really isn't magical when the park is packed as tightly as a sardine can anyways. So, send them to another park.
    -Tim

• Disneyholic

I think it's almost unavoidable in some respects unless they cut back on the number of people they let in the parks. All the parks except for Epcot only have the one guest entrance and it's bound to be a bottleneck when it gets too busy. The Magic Kingdom is the most popular park on property, when you go on the 4th of July or around Christmas/new years it's so packed the only way to get people in and out of the park is to open up the backstage route. That said, I agree that they could do something to "dress it up" since they seem to do it several times a year now. Problem is if you do too much then people will want to see it all the time.

With DHS when they empty Fantasmic! it's generally dark enough so that you don't see too much detail (Unless they are running two shows that day) and it is a very efficient way to empty out that huge amphitheater at park closing. There's simply too many bodies to funnel them back out the entrance, sown sunset blvd, and out of the park at closing time, that and it's a shorter walk which at the end of the day many of us are thankful for anyways!
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    One of my big problems with the MK is how inadecuate the park has become and how quickly the management is at letting guests walk pass that smelly trash compactor behind Main Strret. BAD BAD SHOW. Maybe it's time they built DLP's arcades behind the MK's Main Street?
    But that would get rid of valuable executive parking...

Last April, my wife and I went back to MK to watch the fireworks inside the park. It was right around the parade time and we were shuffled behind the scenes to get past the crowds on main street. It was the first time I have ever seen them do it esp. since it breaks the 'magic' by walking in the parking lot behind main street. (It was however, the second time I had been there behind main street. My Dad worked for the company who retiled the main street train station and he took me along to check on the work. As a kid it was cool to see behind the scenes, as a paying customer, not so much)

It was April so it wasn't too busy. I wonder if it is something they do quite a bit to get people into the park without the typical log jam on main street during the parade.

+1 definitely a no no on MK... i agree with your suggestion mate...
    just do what you think...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerren View Post
    That said, I agree that they could do something to "dress it up" since they seem to do it several times a year now. Problem is if you do too much then people will want to see it all the time.
    Keep in mind though that the backstage you see as a Guest is a more "dressed up" version than normal. They make sure to clean it up and use portable tree planters to line the path.

Which reminds me, if you ever take the "Keys to the Kingdom" tour and visit the Utilidors. The same thing is at work here. The stairways and corridors the Guests can see are easily the nicest in all the tunnels.

• The Ghost Relations Dept.

Quote Originally Posted by ecdlanddude View Post
    Keep in mind though that the backstage you see as a Guest is a more "dressed up" version than normal. They make sure to clean it up and use portable tree planters to line the path.

Which reminds me, if you ever take the "Keys to the Kingdom" tour and visit the Utilidors. The same thing is at work here. The stairways and corridors the Guests can see are easily the nicest in all the tunnels.
    And they by far smell better up there near Main Street. Walking under Adventureland... oh God...

I remember at one point where there was a problem with the plumbing in the Adventureland breezeway. They put in portable toilets back between the Haunted Mansion and Its a Small World show buildings. It was so tacky!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by jerren
    I think it's almost unavoidable in some respects unless they cut back on the number of people they let in the parks. All the parks except for Epcot only have the one guest entrance and it's bound to be a bottleneck when it gets too busy. The Magic Kingdom is the most popular park on property, when you go on the 4th of July or around Christmas/new years it's so packed the only way to get people in and out of the park is to open up the backstage route.
    Disney apologist excuses. You check out the trip report below and keep in mind TDL has never EVER sent guests behind the park to exit on their most crowdest days. The MK is just inadecuate, period, and management should fix the problem instead of using the backstage route as a band aid procedure.

This past tuesday 3/31st at TDL....

Quote Originally Posted by ecdlanddude
    I am sorry but I have a hard time believing that. I have been in the MK on days when the backstage is opened for guests to use. I have smelled the horrible trash compactor stink located behind, next to that route. I do not recall seeing trees to beautify this area, and if they did clean.. it did not cover up the fact that reality has hit you on the face while inside the MK park. It's pure and simple a very bad bad bad show on management's part.

• Characters are my friends

Quote Originally Posted by GRD999 View Post
    And they by far smell better up there near Main Street. Walking under Adventureland... oh God...
    Oh man, the memories. Adventureland in the Utilidor is horrible!!
    Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 98- Port OrleansMarch 03- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 03- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 05- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 06- AS Sports (Solo Trip)May 24, 06 to Jan 5, 07- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 07- offsite (solo trip)March 1-3, 2007- Dad + Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 07- CP (CS)Aug 10-12, 07- GF/P&PMay 21-Aug 15, 08- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 08- AKLMarch 25-29, 09 (off-site)Aug 10, 09-Jan 2, 10- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (East)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL DreamJan 20-24, 2014: DCL MagicFeb 17/18, 2015 AS Music

Jan 12- Aug 5, 2005- Fantasyland Merchandise
    May 24, 2006 to Jan 5, 2007- Character Attendant
    May 16- Aug 10, 2007- Epcot WS Custodial/Seasonal CA
    May 21- July 5, 2008: Casey's (QSFB); July 6-Aug 15, 2008: character attendant
    Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: Toy Story Mania
    Jan 3-May 14, 2010: Great Movie Ride
    May 16, 2010~ Fulltime

I am sorry but I have a hard time believing that. I have been in the MK on days when the backstage is opened for guests to use. I have smelled the horrible trash compactor stink located behind, next to that route. I do not recall seeing trees to beautify this area, and if they did clean.. it did not cover up the fact that reality has hit you on the face while inside the MK park. It's pure and simple a very bad bad bad show on management's part.
    I never claimed it was a good dress up. But it is somewhat better. Absolutely no argument on the "bad show".

• 1st visit 1975

Cool Re: Is going backstage normal during busy times at the MK?

The Imagineers solved the Main St Bottleneck problem in their Disneyland Paris Main St design with Arcades running the length of Main St. They are really nice with extra access to stores, Center St and a dry-warm place for foul weather. An Arcade could be added to MK's Main St without too losing any Main St achitecture.

• Banned User

Gotta love the real gas lamps in DLP's Arcades (the one shown above is the Liberty Arcade, which has a small hidden attraction in the middle of it.. taking guests to the day the Statue of Liberty was unveiled.. Very cool little exhibit with sound and lights.