View Poll Results: Favorite "Magic Kingdom"

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Magic Kingdom

    14 18.67%
  • Disneyland

    40 53.33%
  • Disneyland Paris

    12 16.00%
  • Tokyo Disneyland

    7 9.33%
  • Hong Kong Disneyland

    2 2.67%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 43
  1. #1

    • Illuminate
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Posts
    14

    Question The Magic Kingdom vs. the Rest

    When the average american thinks of a disney theme park the first theme park that comes to mind is the magic kingdom park. However, there are four other "Magic Kingdoms." How do you thing the magic kingdom compare to the other MK's worldwide in attractions, dining, and the overall experience.

    For those that think mk is lacking compared to the rest what changes could be made to make it up to the standard.
    Last edited by ThemeParkGuy; 04-09-2009 at 12:10 PM.

  2. #2

    • Beach Expert
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after
    Posts
    10,594

    Re: The Magic Kingdom vs. the Rest

    Can you please hold on while I make up a fresh batch of popcorn?

  3. #3

    • Fortuosity!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Singing: Detroit!
    Posts
    556

    Re: The Magic Kingdom vs. the Rest

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Can you please hold on while I make up a fresh batch of popcorn?
    Better make some coffee to go with it, I imagine this will go on long into the night.
    I like The Happiest Millionaire. What's wrong with that?

  4. #4

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,422

    Re: The Magic Kingdom vs. the Rest

    After a busy day at the Magic Kingdom, I need some rest. Can't I have both?
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  5. #5

    • Disneyland Historian
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Anaheim, CA
    Posts
    363

    Re: The Magic Kingdom vs. the Rest

    When I go to Walt Disney World, I find the Magic Kingdom extremely disappointing. As a Disneyland regular, it just seems like an incomplete version of Disneyland that has not been significantly updated for several decades. However, I understand why guests who have not been to Disneyland enjoy it so much because they have no reference point to compare it to. I enjoy the other three parks and the rest of Walt Disney World much more than the Magic Kingdom simply because they offer me something that Disneyland does not.

  6. #6

    • Illuminate
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Posts
    14

    Re: The Magic Kingdom vs. the Rest

    Gregmh48 when you say incomplete what do you mean? Incomplete in attractions or the overall experience and what do you think would make magic kingdom up to pare to disneyland and others.

  7. #7

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940

    Re: The Magic Kingdom vs. the Rest

    I think everyone here knows my position on the MK versus all of the other DL parks world wide....

    DL, charm. Best value considering the high number of attractions. Lovely bricked sidewalks on Main Street. MK? Well.. it looks quite nice from the Seven Seas Lagoon..

    TDL, clean, well staffed, technically speaking the most advanced. The entire hub is bricked and looks pristine. Best parades, shows. MK? Nope, to all the previous items describing TDL.

    DLP, most beautiful park, most innovative, best themed. Not too clean, too much smoking. Bricked Main Street and gas lamps. MK? dated, not the best themed of the DL parks, spotty cleanliness.. few smokers not following the rules and of those offenders, many are from Europe.

    HKDL, smallest park of the lot. Needs attractions. Has nice shows. Theming is pretty nice. Interesting variations of classic rides. Completely bricked Main Street. Gorgeous surrounding with mountains that enhance the park's atmosphere.
    MK? Bigger than HK but does not offer the caliber of shows. Theming is adecuate but not all that inspiring. Dated rides. Cracks on Main Street. Has some of the favorites E-tickets HKDL is missing, even if they are the value versions of them. Looks good from a distance when sailing on Seven Seas Lagoon.

    That is a mild as I can place it.
    Last edited by TDLFAN; 04-09-2009 at 12:06 PM.

  8. #8

    • Disneyland Historian
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Anaheim, CA
    Posts
    363

    Re: The Magic Kingdom vs. the Rest

    Quote Originally Posted by ThemeParkGuy View Post
    Gregmh48 when you say incomplete what do you mean? Incomplete in attractions or the overall experience and what do you think would make magic kingdom up to pare to disneyland and others.
    I feel it is incomplete in that attractions are sparse and much of the property inside the berm remains undeveloped. Disneyland has filled in, mostly due to its space constraints, and represents a much more efficient use of space than the Magic Kingdom. The close placement of attractions at Disneyland contributes to its charm and magic.

    Incomplete is also that it doesn't feel as fresh and modern as Disneyland does. Effects in attractions are stale and dated whereas Disneyland regularly updates them. The signage around the park and in the parking lot has a very 1970s feel. The sound systems in attractions do not seem as clear as though the speakers are not maintained and where Disneyland has added subwoofers to many areas, corresponding MK attractions lack oomph. In the mid 1990s, Disneyland went through the park and added themed ground to each land. The Magic Kingdom still has its original 1970s colored slab.

    What exemplifies the state of the Magic Kingdom is the condition Haunted Mansion was allowed to fall into several years ago. It was only through its drastic summer rehab last summer that it was caught up to Disneyland standards. Many of the attractions feel like they are left without maintenance or updates until they reach a critical point.

    Again, these are problems that guests would only notice if they knew how much better Disneyland is taken care of. The average guest to WDW wouldn't realize how lacking the Magic Kingdom is, which probably contributes to the amount management can let it slip.

  9. #9

    • Indiana Scott
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bothell Wa.
    Posts
    1,766

    Re: The Magic Kingdom vs. the Rest

    If I had to pick a favorite, I'd go with Animal Kingdom. It's a different experience and is seldom as crowded as MK.

  10. #10

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940

    Re: The Magic Kingdom vs. the Rest

    Quote Originally Posted by Gregmh48 View Post
    I understand why guests who have not been to Disneyland enjoy it so much because they have no reference point to compare it to.
    You are correct. This is one reason why I rant on the MK constantly. Also reason why many think I am biased towards TDL. My cross to bear is having a point of reference for ALL 5 DL parks in the World.
    I enjoy the other three parks and the rest of Walt Disney World much more than the Magic Kingdom simply because they offer me something that Disneyland does not.
    Agreed! This is probably the only reason why I recommend WDW... to "do what's unique to it", just like a trip to Japan is worth it just for TDS' excellence. Poor DLR and DLRP got shafted by having such poor 2nd gates when compared with the much superior quality of their DL parks.

  11. #11

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940

    Re: The Magic Kingdom vs. the Rest

    Quote Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
    If I had to pick a favorite, I'd go with Animal Kingdom. It's a different experience and is seldom as crowded as MK.
    AGREED! DAK is the best park at WDW both in theme, atmosphere and subject matter. It's cohesive. EPCOT would be my 2nd best of the bunch.

  12. #12

    • Illuminate
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Posts
    14

    Re: The Magic Kingdom vs. the Rest

    TDLFAN as i asked Gregmh48, and i do know your views, what do you think shoud be changed at mk to make it up to the standard of other disneylands.

  13. #13

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940

    Re: The Magic Kingdom vs. the Rest

    Quote Originally Posted by Gregmh48 View Post
    Again, these are problems that guests would only notice if they knew how much better Disneyland is taken care of. The average guest to WDW wouldn't realize how lacking the Magic Kingdom is, which probably contributes to the amount management can let it slip.
    Best post of the day so far. So so true.

    "They are tourists, what do they know?"
    Rizzo the Rat, or management speaking?

  14. #14

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    524

    Re: The Magic Kingdom vs. the Rest

    And I find AK to be surprisingly very poorly executed....oh well.

  15. #15

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940

    Re: The Magic Kingdom vs. the Rest

    Chris.. no wonder you did not seem all that enthusiastic about TDS... Oh well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Themeparkguy
    TDLFAN as i asked Gregmh48, and i do know your views, what do you think shoud be changed at mk to make it up to the standard of other disneylands.
    Several things..
    Seems to me management needs to make enhancements to:
    -Attraction technology and shows. Most attractions at the MK are so basic and outdated when compared to their clones that it really is sad! Little improvement like those done to HM and POTC are great but the C-tickets need major improvement. Space MT is an albatross. many props do not work in many more attractions (this also applies to other major rides at the other 3 WDW parks). They need new AAs to replace most outdated models in all attractions. When I ride HKDl's JUngle Cruise and see the fluid motion of the AA monkeys with other special effects and enhancements to the overall scene, and you see the simiaar scene in the MK looking bland and static.. well, it's really laughable how different they are in quality and execution. That's just to scratch the surface in the attractions dept.
    -Cosmetics. The park needs more frequent refurbishings to their facades and floors. Why do all of the DL parks evoke a more stylish look with bricks on Main Street, whereas the MK looks plain and with cracked floors? TL is a thematic metalic mess, and so is Adventureland.. are we in a tropical jungle or Arabian nights?
    -Shows and parades are adecuate but not produced with the same caliber they do at other parks, especially Tokyo or HKDL. Recent efforts like the "Celebrate it!" show are greatly appreciated but the castle shows are an embarrasment. Notice the audience only go "OOOOHH!!" when the pyro goes off at the end. Simply pathetic.
    -Pull the plug on after hour parties like halloween and Xmas and make these events a part of the general admission ticket for ALL to enjoy.. and watch attendance soar as it does in TDL... reason why the park there is always packed!
    -Improve food and beverage choices. Re-open the adventureland veranda for good.
    -Staffing. The park is not properly staffed and the Cast does not seem to be well trained in their duties in some areas/depts. Crowd control for example is poorly managed in my opinion. The few CMs assigned to some areas are just not enough to deal with the demand. This is yet another reason why TDL excels, as their park is properly staffed beyond believe.
    -Cleanliness. People are pigs, there is no denying that, but Disney also needs to step up the efforts to maintain the park clean throughout the day. Custodial needs more CMs in their rank and probably better pay than most their peers in the park. The MK as it is only looks as good as the size of the crowd. When it's slow, the park looks adecuately clean, but when it's crowded.. it's the Magic Trashcan park. Most often than most.. the MK looks dirty and not well cleaned. Dirt spots everywhere on walls, floors... etc. How often is the MK getting preassure-cleaned every week? I see many non-custodials and managers walk pass trash and do not bend over to pick it up. Have they forgotten Traditions' teachings?

    Those in my opinion are the main problems the MK has right now, when compared to all the other DL parks. Also, in regards to the poll above.. I am sure you all know which park I voted for, but I also find the poll to be unnecesary because people will vote only for the park they have visited and not the one park that actually excels. But be my guest.

    All in all, I will always hold WDW's management responsible for the lesser than outstanding experience offered at the MK. Disney *can* do better because I have seen what they can do at the other parks. Just go to CA and take a stroll down Main St. at DL and see the difference! I feel horribly bad for all those people who come to WDW and rave about it. I know the place is still a great vacation destination.. but I cringe on this.. because I know Disney is cheating you all of a much impressive experience above what they currently deliver. That is to me an american tragedy!
    WE do not need more overpriced hotels and DVCs on property. WDW needs to offer an experience that constantly exceeds guests' expectations at any cost. WDW does not deliver that for me on a regular basis. Whatever budgets they have should be directed towards improving the MK right, especially as the 40th anniversary nears.
    Last edited by TDLFAN; 04-09-2009 at 02:13 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Trip Report] Magic Kingdom 06/14/09
    By Coastierox in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-24-2009, 12:24 PM
  2. [Fun] Magic Kingdom in the Sky
    By mycroft16 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-01-2009, 02:32 PM
  3. Many new changes to Magic Kingdom
    By MstGracey in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-07-2007, 08:27 PM
  4. 10/25: Magic Kingdom BOO!
    By Al Lutz in forum MiceAge Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-27-2005, 10:27 PM
  5. Filthy Kingdom/Beautiful Kingdom/Magic Kingdom
    By WDW1974 in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 04-26-2005, 11:07 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •