Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Race Car Driver

Quote Originally Posted by Zimbubba
    We sspend around 1000.00 for 10 days. We have no out of pocket room expenses as we are DVC members at OKW.

Our theme park tickets are $1000.00 for just 10 days.actually they are $1200.00.... thats for 2 Adults and 2 teenagers.

We are getting 7 day hopper tickets for WDW plus.....
    5 day universal studios...

The kids needed to go back to Universal too
    Yes, it is fast....

No, you can't drive IT.

Drive it like it's stolen.

• Wishin' I was at WDW.

Quote Originally Posted by dsnylndmom
    ...(can you boat to MGM from a MK resort, not sure)....

Epcot resorts you can walk I think from beach club/yacht club to Epcot and maybe MGM(someone correct me if I'm wrong here)but you'd have to use some sort of transportation to MK and AK.
    Hello... You cannot take a ferry from an MK resort to Disney-MGM. You can take a ferry to Disney-MGM from the Epcot resorts (Yacht & Beach, Boardwalk, Swan and Dolphin), as well as to Epcot's International Gateway (World Showcase side entry). Also, you can walk to Disney-MGM or Epcot from these resorts.

My advice to original poster is to pick up a few guidebooks at your local bookstore. The official guide is a great overview of the entire WDW Resort, but you should also consider picking up a few independently written ones, since they tend to offer opinions on what's good, what's not, what you can expect. The official Disney line makes everything sound terrific, which, of course, not everything is.

My son and I pulled off 4 days at WDW and 1 at Universal for about $1500. We shared a room at the Pop Century with my brother and his son. He brought his car, so no rental was needed. Got airfare on sale ($380 for both of us). Had dinner at Epcot a couple of times and ate dinner off property twice. Has we not shared the room it would have been $200 more. This trip was done on the cheap and could have easily ended up costing a whole lot more.

Kevin Yee is right, WDW is definitely targetting upper middle class folk. Joe Sixpack would have a hard time swinging $6000. I suppose that they have abandoned that demographic (Joe Sixpack) to the off property hotels. I know quite a few people who have never stayed on property because "its too expensive", and they aren't exactly po' folks. Of course, some travel a lot on business and have plenty of hotel awards, which can make the offsite hotel free.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinYee
    And THIS is why WDW gets new construction all the time. To target tourists who spend the big bucks, you've got to add new reasons constantly to return.

LOL our trip was CHEAP too!! That was $4000, for 7 days 8 nights for a family of FOUR, including airfare, food and transportation to and from the airport.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Race Car Driver

I am flying out of the USA my flights were $1700.00 then $1200.00 for theme park tickets. I am at $2900.00. Now I need a room for 10 nights....
    I think Dsnylndmom you must have got a better deal on air.... oh and mine are teenagers so I pay full price for everything for them... except their hotel is still free.. hahahah
    I would love to do it for less... I just dont know how..... we are staying off property as well......... sigh
    Yes, it is fast....

No, you can't drive IT.

Drive it like it's stolen.

• Vacation Club Member

If you can manage it, I recommend the EPCOT resorts, i.e. the BoardWalk, or the Yacht & Beach Club. You can walk into EPCOT, take a beautiful boat to MGM, or walk through EPCOT and take the monorail to the Magic Kingdom. The only bus you need is for the Animal Kingdom. The busses are terrific though. Don't hesitate to use them. Walking through EPCOT and mononorailing to the MK is scenic but takes a very long time. The bus will get you there much faster. You can also walk to MGM from the Boardwalk side. The nice thing about the EPCOT resorts is that the park is open until 9:00pm every night and has all the great restaurants, wine, beer. etc. and when the park closes you have a five minute walk back to your room. The Yacht & Beach has one of the most coveted swimming pools in all of WDW. The Boardwalk (we are vacation club members there) has clubs and dining, ESPN club, dancing, etc. that stay opned after the park closes. This offers more variety than the MK resorts. We have a family of four and on any sit-down meal we drop around $100.00. I agree about picking up a guide book. Get Birnbaum's Official Guide to WDW and read it. It is well worth the trouble.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TicTocDragon
    All I'm trying to figure out is how much to budget for WDW. It will only be my Wife and I. I really would like to have the spending cash when needed for Dining, I also want to stay in the park. I don't need a rental. I'm going for 10 days to enjoy the experience since I'm not going for while after that. any thoughts on what kind of budget? I already know about Mousesavers.com. But what about other things once I get there, I realize Ican't experince it all, But I'd like to try if It is possible.
    thoughts?
    DON"T do Pin Trading or come near one of those Pin carts or shops. You will effectively save over $500 in expenses if you stay clear off pins.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by KevinYee
    And THIS is why WDW gets new construction all the time. To target tourists who spend the big bucks, you've got to add new reasons constantly to return.
    Personally I am surprised people spend this much at WDW. Really, since most guests are always going for the value airlines to get there and the value resorts to stay at as well... If people are spending over $2500 for a family of four at WDW for...say 5 days...then they are spending too much on incidentals such as food and pins. I guess those character greeting meals do add up!!!

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    Personally I am surprised people spend this much at WDW. Really, since most guests are always going for the value airlines to get there and the value resorts to stay at as well... If people are spending over $2500 for a family of four at WDW for...say 5 days...then they are spending too much on incidentals such as food and pins. I guess those character greeting meals do add up!!!

Mine was $4000 for a family of four for 7 days/8 nights.
    The package was $1500
    Airfare was $1200
    Food, breakfast lunch and dinner & Souveiners for FOUR people $1500
    No overpaying here. Food is not cheap for 4 people, 3 times a day.

Snacks, we got a good deal on the package, it was during the buy 4 days get 7 promotion and included Ultimate parkhoppers.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

Quote Originally Posted by dsnylndmom
    Food, breakfast lunch and dinner & Souveiners for FOUR people $1500
    No overpaying here. Food is not cheap for 4 people, 3 times a day.
    One has to be careful with meals. They can become very expensive on property, especially if a family is involved. Nice meals at Epcot can be very expensive and add up quickly. For us it was often a lot cheaper to go off property to get a steak.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fkurucz
    One has to be careful with meals. They can become very expensive on property, especially if a family is involved. Nice meals at Epcot can be very expensive and add up quickly. For us it was often a lot cheaper to go off property to get a steak.
    That is defintely the case! Meals got really expensive. Unfortunately we didn't rent a car so it wasn't an option to go offsite.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Vacation Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by fkurucz
    One of the great joys of WDW however, is parking your car and never seeing it for a week. Some of those expensive meals (and you're right, they are expensive) are some of our best memories. My kids have their favorite restaurants that we go back to for birthdays, etc. It has become a family tradition...

Hey! Hold it! I've been sucked in... I'm a Disney addict!!!! Heeeelp Meeeee!

Quote Originally Posted by Keeper
    One of the great joys of WDW however, is parking your car and never seeing it for a week. Some of those expensive meals (and you're right, they are expensive) are some of our best memories. My kids have their favorite restaurants that we go back to for birthdays, etc. It has become a family tradition...

Hey! Hold it! I've been sucked in... I'm a Disney addict!!!! Heeeelp Meeeee!

Of course. It just that eating a fine dinner on property every night can be a real budget buster. I found that having lunch was cheaper, and you still got the ambiance (like at San Angel Inn). Going off property was only occasional, and it did detract from the magic. And the restaurants were MANY MILES away, not a two block hop down Harbor Blvd.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12