Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WDW in May? Advice/Help please!

First of all, let me apologize if this is the wrong section. I know that there is an Orlando Trip planning section, but it doesn't seem too highly visited judging by number/frequency of posts and I want to get the best advice I can.

I'm graduating from college this year and being a DLR regular, I want to embark on a WDW vacation for the first time in at least 15yrs (I have been twice before, once when I was 2 and I don't remember how old I was the last time, I think 7; I am 22 now.) I would be traveling with my girlfriend.

I graduate on May 23rd and would like to leave from San Francisco on Sunday the 24th and I have to return Friday, May 29th. That gives me 4 entire days at the resort. I would be staying at a value resort, probably All Star Music. I want to go during this time because the weather will not be super hot yet and I figure the crowds will be down as well, as most people are still in school and it is during the week. And, of course, it will be a high right after graduation.

Does this sound like a reasonable amount of time to get a lot out of my trip? Are my assumptions about crowd and weather correct? I could probably do a trip later on, maybe add one more day, but it seems to me that this would be the best time. Any other advice?

Any help you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated!

• out & about

Re: WDW in May? Advice/Help please!

My advice is to wait until January. It's waaaaaaaaay too hot in May.
    "There's no off position on the genius switch"

@WRDinc

That would be ideal, but that is definitely not possible. My only shot is this summer, so I figured May wouldn't be as hot or crowded as June/July/August.

Quote Originally Posted by judino28 View Post
    First of all, let me apologize if this is the wrong section. I know that there is an Orlando Trip planning section, but it doesn't seem too highly visited judging by number/frequency of posts and I want to get the best advice I can.

I'm graduating from college this year and being a DLR regular, I want to embark on a WDW vacation for the first time in at least 15yrs (I have been twice before, once when I was 2 and I don't remember how old I was the last time, I think 7; I am 22 now.) I would be traveling with my girlfriend.

I graduate on May 23rd and would like to leave from San Francisco on Sunday the 24th and I have to return Friday, May 29th. That gives me 4 entire days at the resort. I would be staying at a value resort, probably All Star Music. I want to go during this time because the weather will not be super hot yet and I figure the crowds will be down as well, as most people are still in school and it is during the week. And, of course, it will be a high right after graduation.

Does this sound like a reasonable amount of time to get a lot out of my trip? Are my assumptions about crowd and weather correct? I could probably do a trip later on, maybe add one more day, but it seems to me that this would be the best time. Any other advice?

Any help you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated!
    You'd be arriving the day after I leave for home! You need to expect crowds. Right now, TouringPlans.com is predicting 8 and 9's out 10 for those days (which I think is high, but they are normally VERY accurate).

It will be hot! No way around it. It doesn't bother me that much b/c I live in south Georgia, but it will be hot and humid. By then, it should be pushing high 90's with 80 - 100% humidity. You are also getting into the afternoon thunderstorm time. Prepare for that.

Overall though, I love going in May. It is my 2nd favorite time to go behind Christmas. Star Wars Weekends and Flower and Garden are going on, it is just nice. Don't expect the parks to yourself, and be sure to have a good touring plan (I suggest buying The Unofficial Guide to WDW). You should be alright if you plan and head into the trip with the right attitude.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

You'll be there over Memorial Day weekend, so definitely expect crowds. And be prepared for the heat. May is still "spring" in a lot of the country, but in central Florida, it already feels like summer.

• Major Havoc

All the promotions Disney has been pushing this past Winter seem to be paying big dividends as May looks to be almost as busy as June/July/August. However, just because the parks will be busy, doesn't mean you won't have fun! WDW is engineered to handle tons of people! Just make sure to have some sort of touring plan, arrive at the parks at least :30 minutes before they open, take afternoon breaks, and use the evenings to catch up on some shows and other non-ride activities that handle larger crowds. Do those simple things and you will have a nice, relaxing vacation! Good luck.
    "We're in the business of telling great stories, and great stories never grow old. In the end, a roller coaster is just a roller coaster." -- Marty Sklar.

• Disneyholic

Somehow I don't think it will be quite as bad as it was in previous years crowd wise, I was able to book pass holder rate rooms in the contemporary for that week just a few weeks ago, I use the Contemporary and Poly as my barometer for crowd levels as if they are booked solid the parks will be packed, if they are not booked then you can expect moderate crowds.

I'll see ya down there We are going to be there from the 21st-25th for a quick Disney fix.
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

• Hello there

Blog Entries

You will arrive the day I am leaving. I will be there from 5/14- 5/21.
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• We'll hold them at bay

Quote Originally Posted by WRDup View Post
    My advice is to wait until January. It's waaaaaaaaay too hot in May.
    Agreed. We were there in May 08 and it was boiling hot. This past Jan we went, and while it was too cool for the pool on most days, it was so much better touring the parks
    www.jamboeveryone.com
    Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

• Main Street with a friend

When you are melting onto the sidewalk, just think to yourself: "At least it's not July, at least it's not July."
    "All our dreams can come true.....if we have the courage to pursue them."
    - Walt Disney

I have been in April, May, and June with no long term heat conditions (and I'm from Seattle so it is a shock to the system ). I will be there May 12th-18th so am hoping for nice weather myself.

4 days is just enough (but certainly add on any extra days you can, the passes are almost free after 4 days). We travelled with a family last year for their first visit and had four days. We did a pretty good job of hitting most everything and not burning out (They may still think it was too commando but we tried to keep it prety laid back).

Of course try and get dining reservations for any place you really want to dine at. It's getting close but would still be worth the call to see what is available.

We have had great luck with small misters that fit in your pocket (no fan), the kids call them Mr. Mister, you pump them up and the air pressure sprays a fine mist that is quite cooling.

I have not stayed at All-Star Music but really enjoyed Pop Century.

Hopefully crowds will be manageable, we have a lot of tours, etc. scheduled so won't be too concerned about crowds this trip but still hope the lines are reasonably short during the windows we will have open to actually take in some attractions.
    Maybe you folks can tell me though. Does gettin' two womenfolk mean you're the winner or the loser?
    ~Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland

Thanks for all the advice. The reservations have been made for the days I mentioned above. We will be staying at Port Orleans French Quarter.

• Main Street with a friend

Yay! You'll have so much fun.
    "All our dreams can come true.....if we have the courage to pursue them."
    - Walt Disney

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by MJMcB View Post
    Agreed. We were there in May 08 and it was boiling hot. This past Jan we went, and while it was too cool for the pool on most days, it was so much better touring the parks
    The last 2 times in January I went, it was freaking COLD! And the wind constantly blew all day, which made it feel even colder.

• Disney Freak

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    The last 2 times in January I went, it was freaking COLD! And the wind constantly blew all day, which made it feel even colder.
    Yeah it gets like that here in Orlando. The weather in May is most likely going to be very sunny with sporadic rain.
    Alex

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." Walt Disney

My Flickr: Flickr.com/agoldman
    My Twitter: Twitter.com/al3xg
    My Facebook: Facebook.com/al3xg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast