Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PI's new Celebrate Tonight!

I was reading recently a little memo from Disney. Went something like this.....

Downtown Disney has introduced a new guest offering called "Celebrate Tonight! Its a high-energy street party that focuses on what our guests are celebrating. DJs are our party hosts who engage guests to join in with stilt walkers and party crew for group dances and sing-alongs. Now running nightly!

Ok, so I wasted my time going to check out this new guest offering. Reading it... Its almost like they ripped out the discription of Move it, Shake it, Celebrate It! and just replaced the words "Magic Kingdom" with "Downtown Disney". The reality of the new PI entertainment is not nearly as good.

They now call PI's old West End Stage area "Celebration Plaza" via some banners, a few plasma tvs added to the area, and some minor club lighting. A couple of DJ's translates into two castmembers with microphones talking to guests asking them what they are celebrating. Stilt Walkers and party crew translates into two stilt walkers, walking around posing for pictures and offering High fives.

I am telling you, the old Family Fun Day Parade was more entertaining, and I am not being sarcastic. Seriously. Please Disney, just reopen some of your clubs already while you wait for buyers. This type of entertainment is not going to put on the illusion the PI is still a happening place, and if your going to sell off these old clubs to new tentants, your going to have to make them see the value of it.

Oh... and the Charaters in flight.... any wind gusts of over 20mph... and its closed. Again.... who thought a 300-400 foot balloon ride in the middle of the lighting capital of the world, was a good idea? This must be the "Bold new vision" Disney spoke of when they said they were going in a new direction for Pleasure Island. You have got to be pretty darn bold to go up in that thing on most spring, summer, or fall afternoons.
    Last edited by Kidgenie; 04-14-2009 at 06:40 PM.

Re: PI's new Celebrate Tonight!

Lame

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Srsly lame.

I'd rather celebrate New Years Eve every night than someone's birthday that I don't even know. LOL!!
    -Tim

nice info....! not much interesting...lol
    my heart is yours

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Kidgenie View Post
    Oh... and the Charaters in flight.... any wind gusts of over 20mph... and its closed. Again.... who thought a 300-400 foot balloon ride in the middle of the lighting capital of the world, was a good idea?
    Oh, c'mon - there are plenty of times when the weather is perfect and the winds are less than 20 MPH. Seems you're just being negative to be negative.

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    Oh, c'mon - there are plenty of times when the weather is perfect and the winds are less than 20 MPH. Seems you're just being negative to be negative.
    Not being negative to be negative, I just don't think this was a great idea operationally. IN the morning we were under tornado watch, but by 4pm it had turned out to be a fantastic evening weather wise. At 8pm it was still closed due the weather earlier... Also, its not SUSTAINED winds of 20mph or more, but wind gusts. So any day there is a thunderstorm..... from that point on I guess its closed.

Florida thunderstorms come and go with great rapidity. Once the storm has passed, usually the weather clears up nicely. Besides, between the balloon manufacturers, the folks that installed and tested it, and the Disney execs who approved this, you don't think someone somewhere had the foresight to look at weather patterns to make sure they could get their money's worth out of this?

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

^^ At WDW? In a word... No. Drunken monkeys could run the parks better than these morons are.

Wow - you really are Captain Crankypants, aren't you?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Kidgenie View Post
    Not being negative to be negative, I just don't think this was a great idea operationally.
    I agree with you Kidgenie. The balloon ride was a stupid idea lifted from the Disney Village in Paris. The Euros love to do stuff like that, but I am not sure it was a good idea for WDW. Personally I think the balloon is an eyesore. and you will never ever catch me riding it. But then again.. others will disagree, like DanYoung.. who is from Texas, and you know how texans are.. "everything is beautiful" to them. Just look at the Bush Fam.

Wink Re: PI's new Celebrate Tonight!

Florida thunderstorms come and go with great rapidity. Once the storm has passed, usually the weather clears up nicely. Besides, between the balloon manufacturers, the folks that installed and tested it, and the Disney execs who approved this, you don't think someone somewhere had the foresight to look at weather patterns to make sure they could get their money's worth out of this?

Ahhh yes. Of course! How could I possibly have missed that the Disney exec's approved this so it must be good. right? They never have misjudgements? correct? The people that sold the balloon to Disney and installed it of course would never have any profit motives to say that weather would have minimal impact on operating revue.

Again..... even though florida thunderstorms come and go in a matter of just minutes, on 04/14 the balloon was still grounded 6 hours after the morning storms had cleared, of which the latter 4 hours blue skys, sun, and very light breezes dominated the rest of the day.

clearly you don't have to agree, but that doesn't make you right. wink wink.
    Last edited by Kidgenie; 04-18-2009 at 02:57 AM.

Kidgenie, we'll just have to wait and see whether this thing is a success or not. And don't pay any attention to TDLFAN - he's never been to Texas, so he has no idea what real Americans value (and the Bush family ain't one of 'em!).

• Banned User

Kidgenie, we'll just have to wait and see whether this thing is a success or not. And don't pay any attention to TDLFAN - he's never been to Texas, so he has no idea what real Americans value (and the Bush family ain't one of 'em!).
    In your state, keeping the mexicans out?
    But for your information.. I *have* been to Texas quite a few times.. Houston, Dallas, and I was in Kileen (Ft Hood) a few weeks ago as a matter of fact! I did like San Antonio the best.. nice river walk area, and I was sorry I didn't make it to Sea World there.
    Last edited by TDLFAN; 04-17-2009 at 04:22 AM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    ^^ At WDW? In a word... No. Drunken monkeys could run the parks better than these morons are.
    I think I have seen the drunken monkeys at the Pub in the UK pavillion at EPCOT.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast