Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• former CM

Question Is it worth getting the no-expire option?

Three questions:

1. (a 4 parter) How much extra is the "No expiration date" option on 7, 8, 9, and 10 day WDW park-hopper tickets?

2. Do they still sell "length of stay" passes when you stay at WDW resorts?

3. If I knew we were going back to WDW three years after our first trip, would I be better off getting "length of stay" passes each time, or getting park hopper passes for a few days longer than our first stay with the no-expiration option?

Note: I might just get the longer passes for my wife and me because me daughter would turn ten in between our two trips. Maybe we should just get the "length of stay" passes for her.

• Shubisha

Re: Is it worth getting the no-expire option?

It's $30 extra for no expiration... I dunno.. is the no-expiration option really a never expiring option? Like is it really "no expiration for like a year but after a year they're no good" instead? If not then getting the extra days and no expiration would be a damn easy way to lock in a cheap rate for your next trip and I imagine they'd have put a stop to that...

• former CM

Thank you!

Thanks, almandot!
    So it's $30 whether it's 7, 8, 9, or 10 days? That's not $30 per day, is it?

• Shubisha

Re: Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    Thanks, almandot!
    So it's $30 whether it's 7, 8, 9, or 10 days? That's not $30 per day, is it?
    Dunno how much it costs for various days at that point. Just go to the disneyworld.com website and go to the place to purchase tickets. There's a quick little webapp that automatically updates the price for your tickets based on how many you're getting, how many days you're getting, and which options you're adding. So just do that and compare it with and without the option.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Walt Disney World Resort

Look at the box for "Price Your Dream Vacation" and click the tab for "Tickets." It gives you the price for all of the different days and options? That is the safest way to get the correct pricing.

Then you can ask the MiceChatters if they think various options (like the never expire) are worth it.

Sounds like someone has a fun trip coming up.

-Dusty
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

OP, look here at the pricing structure:

Ticket Price Comparison Chart

Quote Originally Posted by almandot View Post
    It's $30 extra for no expiration... I dunno.. is the no-expiration option really a never expiring option? Like is it really "no expiration for like a year but after a year they're no good" instead? If not then getting the extra days and no expiration would be a damn easy way to lock in a cheap rate for your next trip and I imagine they'd have put a stop to that...
    The No Expiration Option means exactly that, it never expires. If you buy a ticket this year with the option, you could bring it back in 50 years to WDW and they would honor it.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I always price the tickets, by the "per day" cost. Adding the "no expiration" feature means that you are paying a lot more for each day of your trip. That is the easiest way to compare the cost, and decide if it is worth it. I always choose a ticket that is the exact number of days that I could possibly spend at the parks during a vacation.

The "no expiration" feature is just another way that the folks at Disney are trying to get your money "up front" before you even leave home.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    Walt Disney World Resort

Look at the box for "Price Your Dream Vacation" and click the tab for "Tickets." It gives you the price for all of the different days and options? That is the safest way to get the correct pricing.

Then you can ask the MiceChatters if they think various options (like the never expire) are worth it.

. . . -Dusty
    Thank you very much for the links Dusty, Alandot and Krankenstein! And for the opinion, Barbaraann.

This WDW trip is a long way off, but planning holidays down to the small details makes them more vivid for me, and I look forward to them with more certainty. (I only plan them if I am pretty certain they will happen.) Having things to look forward to makes me mentally healthier.

Before I was married I surprised my brother and his wife by telling them I was going to visit them in Boise when I drove across the country--in two years. When I showed up in the appointed month they confessed that they had thought it weird of me to announce my impending arrival so far in advance, "But [happily] here you are!"

• Hello there

Blog Entries

The no expiration pays off if you know you are going back.
    Example. If you are going for 5 days this year and 5 days in 3 years.
    A 5 day park hopper is $272. That is $54.40 per day. if the prices don't go up (hahaha!!) in 3 years you would buy another 5 day park hopper and total cost is $544.
    A 10 day park hopper no expiration is $487. that is $48.70 per day.
    Total savings is $57.

We usually buy the larger ticket with no expiration becuase we go back every year so we know we will use them, and it does save you money.
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• Pilot EdForceOne

The chart on allears gives you the best visualization of the costs.

I would say normally the no expiration isn't worth it unless you really have another trip in the works already and/or the days left on the ticket will cover your ENTIRE next trip. Why? Because it makes your next tickets more expensive because your next trip you are buying less days = more expensive tickets.

Why? Because lets say you have 2 days left on a ticket.. and your next trip is going to be 7 days.

Lets say you buy a 7 day ticket now, no expiration
    no expire 7 day cost = 413.22

Lets say you have 2 days left on it, and your next trip will be 5 days. Leaving you to buy a 3 day park hopper. 3 day park hopper (expiring) = 279.03

Total cost of both trips = 695.25

Compare that to buying a 5 day expiring ticket now
    expiring cost = 289.68
    And a 5 day expiring next trip.. = total cost of $579.36 = $120 cheaper.

Or even if you bought the 7 day pass now, and let two days expire, the cost would be $299.07 (7 day) + $289.68 = $588.79 = still $110 cheaper then buying the no expiration and having to buy additional tickets.

The no expiration cost is simply too costly on long tickets and works against you when buying tickets next time.

On a 7 day ticket you are paying $117 per ticket extra. When you look at the per day cost of long tickets, adding days is so rediculously cheap that the cost is in the first initial days of the ticket. $117 buys you almost 4 additional days on a base ticket. That's a big gap to make up! The gap is smaller on more expensive tickets because the expiration option doesn't scale up

So really your best options are
    - buy more days if possible and fit both trips on a single ticket w/no expiration (depending on the lengths of your trips)
    - buy expiring to match your trip length
    - if both trips will be within 12 months, consider cost of both trips combined vs AP cost.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

About your original question: As far, as I know Disney no longer sells length of stay passes. That was the system, before Magic Your Way Passes came into the picture.

I have been studying that ticket chart on the allears website, and I have come to some conclusions of my own.

The no-expiration ticket, is a good deal for someone who might want to make some short trips to Disney World in the future. How many times have you read about someone who has asked about visiting the parks for one, or two days, and then looked at just how expensive that would be. The 10 day, no expiration, with park hopping averages out to about $52 a day. Use the ticket a day, or two at a time, and that ticket would last you a very long time. I actually know someone who is still using days on passes that were issued before the MYW passes were sold. He is definitely getting his money's worth. His family goes to Orlando, and spends perhaps a day at a Disney Park, and then goes to Universal, IOA, or perhaps Sea World.

So, the key here, is how do you plan on using the ticket? If you are worried about the rising cost of ticket prices, and you want to plan ahead, that's something to think about.

I personally go to Disney World for at least a week at a time. I usually purchase at least a 5 day pass. My next trip might require at least an 8 day one.

So it helps to crunch the numbers. Everyone has different ways of touring, and probably knows what their future trips might require in the way of tickets.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

We bought the no expiration option for our upcoming trip for a few reasons... First, we know we'll be going again. My husband has an AP and our package includes 2 sets of tickets so we won't have to worry about the other set. Plus prices are sure to go up in the future!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by almandot View Post
    It means never, ever expire. A year or 2 ago, my cousin sent me an old 3 day pass of hers that she got when she came down 4 years prior. It still had one day left on it and it had no expiration on it. She got he pass before the biometrics thing came into play and I was able to use the last day on her pass (she gave it to me because she knew I get more use out of it than she would).

When I got my FL resident 3 Day Play pass last year, I had the no expiration added on (otherwise it expires after 6 months). I have one day left on the pass and I'm hanging onto it. I'll use the free birthday admission in August (if I go, that' still up in the air), but until WDW has something new that will bring me back, I really have no interest in visiting this year outside of my birthday. I'd rather visit Busch Gardens (which I haven't been to since 2001 and I think I might go next weekend).

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    . . . So really your best options are
    - buy more days if possible and fit both trips on a single ticket w/no expiration (depending on the lengths of your trips)
    - buy expiring to match your trip length. . .
    I really appreciate all the help! It is energizing to encounter smart people who think about different aspects of Disney. (And here you may save me $ as well!)
    Others may read this thread and save some $ too, but I have a confession: my WDW trip probably won't be till the summer of 2011, when my daughter turns 6 and my wife and I turn. . . uh, pretty old.
    DETAILS make the trip a realistic vision for me and help get me through challenging times.
    For example I want to take my DD and spouse twice to WDW and twice to Washington, D.C. The second trip to central Florida will include a visit the Harry Potter Land at Universal. I've got the hotels planned out, and. . . well, I guess my planning would seem a tad bizarre to all but the most enthusiastic Disney enthusiasts.
    Thanks again!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

If you are planning your trip for two years ahead, you may indeed want to buy your park tickets now. Chances are very high that the price of those tickets will be a lot more in two years.

If I knew for a fact that I was taking two trips to Disney World in the future, I may indeed buy a 10 day, park hopper, no-expiration ticket now. I know times are hard now, but if I could afford to do this, I would.

I have actually changed my thinking in this matter. I usually only buy the ticket that I need, for the trip that I am taking. However, if someone is planning, say 2 5 day trips to Disney World, or say a 4 day trip, and a 6 day trip, the no-expiration does save you money.

Like, I said before, I usually am not thrilled about giving my money up ahead of time, but if you are certain about the future trips you will take, this definitely does save you money.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast