Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

WDW cancels gay days events.

Word is out that WDW, due to "Business reasons" has cancelled Beach Ball, and One Mighty Party. All Private events related to the gay days weekend will not take place as orginally planned. No other information is being given other then WDW will continue to be open to everyone everyday during its normal operating hours. However the information is coming from WDW, not the event coordinators, who according to WDW are now exploring other options for this event. On the surface this seems like a WDW driven decision and not something the event coordinators decided not to do. So I suspect the business will be moved to Universal.

I am a little surprised. I thought disney made a pretty penny on private events like this during the gay days weekend, but that may have been a false guess on my part.
    Last edited by NeverNeverland; 04-16-2009 at 12:28 PM.

• Disappearing/Reappearing

Re: WDW cancels gay days events.

I honestly didn't know that WDW had anything to do with gay days. I thought it was totally put together by that community.

• Defying gravity

Disney certainly does not sponsor any events. They are all third parties.

thats what I thought.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Interesting. Let's see if this is true.

I'll be there along with several other MiceChatters. We never go to any of the official events anyway. We just enjoy being at the parks on a day when everyone is truly having a lot of fun.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Surfin the net with Duffy

Johnny Chisholm is the promoter for all those parties. It has not been cancelled.

Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011
    We were sent over there with the message that only we would defend Disney quality.. We learnt quickly that the Japanese culture speaks to a level of quality that is hard to comprehend. They were all unbelievably skilled and willing to do the right thing.
    Craig Russell -Walt Disney Imagineering

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Disney has nothing to officially do with Gay Days. It's all put on by third parties.

When is it this year? I thought it was always in July...but, wasn't it in May a couple of years ago?

Always the first Saturday in June for "gay day" at the MK but there usually is a week of planned events like these parties which are all third party run. If the first weekend of June is close to the very beginning of the month sometimes those events are in late May, but the BIG day at MK, which is the what started the whole week long thing, is always first Saturday of June. Unfortunatly this is one more year I won't be going

After just checking in with on the website that sponsers these events there was no mention at all of any cancellations. Not sure where the OP got his info from??
    Last edited by Disney Magic; 04-16-2009 at 05:17 PM. Reason: too many typos

• Banned User

The promoter of these parties pays Disney for the use of the facilities (reason why the parties are so darn expensive) so Disney makes a lot of money off this.. I see no reason why Disney would pull the plug on these events and miss out of the revenue they make off the Gay guests.

hehehe. I noticed the moderator has changed it to rumor, but I assure all of you.... its 100% true. some minor clearity, the events themselve are not yet cancelled. The Producer, Johnny Chisholm Properties Circuit Events LLC is currently looking for alternative venues to host these events at. However, the events will not be held at Disney this year, and that is confirmed at this time.

So yes TDLFAN, I don't understand it either, completely mind boggling, but true. And Travis... Start re-checking your sources, specifically if you know any event managers at the Studios.

My only guess is perhaps Universal made a bid the Producer just found to be too cost effective and Disney was not willing to lower the price to rent the facilities to what Universal or some other competitor was offering.

I know I won't be believed for a few more weeks, but I can I have at least "I told you so" rights later???
    Last edited by Kidgenie; 04-17-2009 at 10:57 AM. Reason: typo

• Banned User

Universal making a bid for gay day events? Talk about backtracking.. because if I am not mistaken, Universal Orlando had been very vocal about not having any interest in getting involved with Gay Days at all. Their lo$$.

• World Traveler

I plan to be there with my red shirt on as well. I don't go to those parties anyway, so not a big loss for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    I'll be there along with several other MiceChatters. We never go to any of the official events anyway. We just enjoy being at the parks on a day when everyone is truly having a lot of fun.
    It will be great to see you there again this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Magic View Post
    Unfortunatly this is one more year I won't be going
    Darn ... you're one of the micechatters I've always wanted to meet!

See ya'll in June !!!

Blog Entries

Then it seems like it wasn't WDW who canceled these events, but the promoter for some reason decided to look somewhere else since WDW may have just been too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Universal making a bid for gay day events? Talk about backtracking.. because if I am not mistaken, Universal Orlando had been very vocal about not having any interest in getting involved with Gay Days at all. Their lo$$.
    Just for clarity.... keep in mind that "maybe universal put in a bid" is completely subjecture on my part. That said, in the past I have not heard the same thing. In fact two years ago Universal partnered with one of the promoters to try and move the location of that First Saturday in June in the Magic Kingdom, to the first Saturday in June to Universal Studios and then MK on Sunday instead. They have even offered gay days themed vacation packages. It flopped two years ago, and MK prevailed as the clear winner of the most red shirts on that first saturday in June, but Universal has definately reached out to that diverse $$$$.

I cannot recall any examples of Universal every being very vocal about not wanting this business.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast