Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2008 Theme Park Attendance

Top 20 Amusement Parks/Theme Parks North America

1. MAGIC KINGDOM at Walt Disney World, Lake Buena Vista, Florida………………………………..17,063,000

2. DISNEYLAND, Anaheim, Calfornia………………………………………………………………………………..14,721,00 0

3. EPCOT at Walt Disney World, Lake Buena Vista, Florida…………………………………………………10,935,000

4. DISNEY’S HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS at Walt Disney World, Lake Buena Vista, Florida………..9,608,000

5. DISNEY’S ANIMAL KINGDOM at Walt Disney World, Lake Buena Vista, Florida……………….9,540,000

6. UNIVERSAL STUDIOS at Universal Orlando, Florida……………………………………………………….6,231,000

7. SEAWORLD FLORIDA, Orlando, Florida ……………………………………………………………………….5,926,000

8. DISNEY’S CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE, Anaheim, California……………………………………………5,566,000

9. ISLANDS OF ADVENTURE at Universal Orlando, Florida………………………………………………..5,297,000

10. UNIVERSAL STUDIOS HOLLYWOOD, Universal City, California……………………………………..4,583,000

11. BUSCH GARDENS TAMPA BAY, Tampa Bay, Florida………………………………………………………4,410,000

12. SEAWORLD CALIFORNIA, San Diego, California……………………………………………………………4,147,000

13. KNOTT’S BERRY FARM, Buena Park, California……………………………………………………………..3,565,000

14. CANADA’S WONDERLAND, Maple, Ontario………………………………………………………………….3,380,000

15. CEDAR POINT, Sandusky, Ohio…………………………………………………………………………………….3,198,000

16. KINGS ISLAND, Kings Island, Ohio……………………………………………………………………………….3,126,000

17. BUSCH GARDENS EUROPE, Williamsburg, Virginia………………………………………………………3,094,000

18. HERSHEY PARK, Hershey, Pennsylvania……………………………………………………………………….2,842,000

19. SIX FLAGS GREAT ADVENTURE, Jackson, New Jersey…………………………………………………..2,761,000

20. SIX FLAGS GREAT AMERICA, Gurnee, Illinois……………………………………………………………….2,669,000

Top 20 Worldwide Amusement/Theme Parks (2008)

1. MAGIC KINGDOM at Walt Disney World, Lake Buena Vista, Florida………………………………..17,063,000

2. DISNEYLAND, Anaheim, California……………………………………………………………………………….14,721,00 0

3. TOKYO DISNEYLAND, Tokyo, Japan…………………………………………………………………………….14,293,000

4. DISNEYLAND PARK AT DISNEYLAND PARIS, Marne-La-Vallee, France………………………..12,688,000

5. TOKYO DISNEY SEA, Tokyo, Japan………………………………………………………………………………12,498,000

6. EPCOT at Walt Disney World, Lake Buena Vista, Florida…………………………………………………10,935,000

7. DISNEY’S HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS at Walt Disney World, Lake Buena Vista, Florida………..9,608,000

8. DISNEY’S ANIMAL KINGDOM at Walt Disney World, Lake Buena Vista, Florida………………9,540,000

9. UNIVERSAL STUDIOS JAPAN, Osaka, Japan…………………………………………………………………8,300,000

10. EVERLAND, Gyeonggi-Do, South Korea…………………………………………………………………………6,600,000

11. UNIVERSAL STUDIOS at Universal Orlando, Orlando, Florida………………………………………..6,231,000

12. SEAWORLD FLORIDA, Orlando, Florida……………………………………………………………………….5,926,000

13. DISNEY’S CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE, Anaheim, California……………………………………………5,566,000

14. ISLANDS OF ADVENTURE at Universal Orlando, Orlando, Florida………………………………….5,297,000

15. OCEAN PARK, Hong Kong SAR……………………………………………………………………………………..5,030,000

16. UNIVERSAL STUDIOS HOLLYWOOD, Universal City, California…………………………………….4,583,000

17. YOKOHAMA HAKKEIJIMA SEA PARADISE, Yokohama, Japan……………………………………….4,555,000

18. HONG KONG DISNEYLAND, Hong Kong SAR……………………………………………………………….4,500,000

19. BUSCH GARDENS TAMPA BAY, Tampa Bay, Florida……………………………………………………..4,410,000

20. LOTTE WORLD, Seoul, Korea………………………………………………………………………………………..4,236,000
    http://www.teaconnect.org/etea/TEAERA2008.pdf
    Last edited by ROBONICS95; 04-16-2009 at 06:57 PM.
    "If you build it right, they will come." - Bob Iger

"I'm not a literary person. As far as realism is concerned, you can find dirt anyplace you look for it. I'm one of those optimists. There's always a rainbow." - Walt Disney

"I don't care about critics. Critics take themselves too seriously. They think the only way to be noticed and to be the smart guy is to pick and find fault with things. It's the public I'm making pictures for." - Walt Disney

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Re: 2008 Theme Park Attendance

Thanks for this info!
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• Major Havoc

Disney rules the world once again, dominating all markets and bringing in more visitors than most other theme park chains combined. However, their low showing at Hong Kong DL should be cause for concern. Attendance was actually up at the park this past year, but with only 4 million visitors, it is the worst performing Disney park by a large margin. Plus, the recent layoffs in the HKDL operation have all but killed the expansion plans that might have made the park more viable. So while attendance was up, the outlook is not good.

And it is good to read that DAK experienced record attendance. The park is not perfect (Chester and Hester's Dino-Rama? Puh-LEASE!), but it is very underrated by most.

The only problem with these numbers is that WDW will never be motivated to improve the Magic Kingdom if people keep flocking in droves to the park for a "diminishing by degrees" experience (thanks, Mr. Yee).
    "We're in the business of telling great stories, and great stories never grow old. In the end, a roller coaster is just a roller coaster." -- Marty Sklar.

• Major Havoc

One more note: theme park attendance across the board was healthy, which indicates the recent economic downturn did not really hit the industry until late 2008 after most of the regional parks closed for the season (a point made in the attendance report, several times). I expect the numbers will be a lot lower in next year's report, unless things turn around soon.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by bigwig30 View Post
    Disney rules the world once again, dominating all markets and bringing in more visitors than most other theme park chains combined. However, their low showing at Hong Kong DL should be cause for concern.
    My cause of concern is how fake the numbers are. Everyone who has been to TDL, even in the slow season, can tell you they pack big crowds when compared to the MK. I wonder how much money the WDC is paying under the table for these questionable surveys....

Blog Entries

I was about to ask that same thing. There's no way that the Magic Kingdom in Orlando gets more visitors than TDL does. Methinks they do whatever it takes with the numbers to make Magic Kingdom stay on top so they can still have the thought that its the vacation kingdom of the world.

• Not here to help

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    My cause of concern is how fake the numbers are. Everyone who has been to TDL, even in the slow season, can tell you they pack big crowds when compared to the MK. I wonder how much money the WDC is paying under the table for these questionable surveys....
    something is strange and that is for sure. what I would like to know is how they explain all the masses of people constantly filling up TDL. that park feels mega crowded at slow days, and that is with wiiide walkways. endless lines to the most simple rides... during parades and shows
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Inappropriate

Numbers don't lie.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• We'll hold them at bay

both Universal parks dropped over 2%, yet the Disney parks generally increased
    www.jamboeveryone.com
    Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Absolutely true. Like I said in the topic for HKDL attendance, TEA shorted TDR attendance by 500000 and a lot of the other numbers are puzzling.

Everland in South Korea has never had a bad year, always growing in attendance and this year, they opened up the best wooden rollercoaster in the world. Yet, according to TEA, attendance fell 8%! Then, to make that number even fishier, the water park portion of the resort GREW 11%. So what gives?

• Major Havoc

Quote Originally Posted by MJMcB View Post
    both Universal parks dropped over 2%, yet the Disney parks generally increased
    The report attributed the drop to all the construction that is occurring at the Universal parks. Also stated many folks are postponing Universal vacations until work is complete.

I know that is true for me - I'll be heading back to Universal once both Rip, Ride, Rockit & Harry Potter are complete. Too expensive for me to visit Orlando every year!

• Mostly Harmless.

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    Numbers don't lie.
    oh, but what about the bean counters?
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

• Minion

I posted the exact list on the disneyland forums a while back. Disney rules!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Move along, Move along

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    Numbers don't lie.
    Oh yes they do. WDC without Walt Disney isn't the same as it used to be. It's run by idiots (EISNER and his dumbo statement "Small parks=success" look what happened to HKDL!!!!!).

• Not here to help

the people that come up with the number do LIE. there is no chance that TDL has fewer visitors than MK. It just canīt be. It would be like saing tigers are blue.
    I guess it takes a visit to TDL on a "slow" day to realize that these numbers belong in fantasyland.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast