• Once Upon a Dream

Orlando Here I Come!

My hubby has a conference next week, so I'm tagging along with my almost-6-year-old. 3 days at WDW, and 2 for Universal. Wish my little guy was big enough for the roller coasters. Do they have a "can you watch my kid while I do this ride" line?

At least my hubby can get the after 4p.m. passes for WDW to join us. I'll send up a TR when we get back (hopefully I'll find the time!).

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Re: Orlando Here I Come!

Yay! Have a great time!!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by DebiTasha View Post
    Do they have a "can you watch my kid while I do this ride" line?
    No. But they have a child swap thing like where one parent can ride while the other watches the kid, then they can swap and not have to wait in line again or something like that. I don't have kids so I can't help you with the details.

• Disappearing/Reappearing

Have a great time....and we expect a trip report when you get back!

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    No. But they have a child swap thing like where one parent can ride while the other watches the kid, then they can swap and not have to wait in line again or something like that. I don't have kids so I can't help you with the details.

that's pretty much how it works. You all go through the queue procedure as normal but near the boarding area there is a waiting area for the non riders. You would need someone else in you party who you can leave the little one with while you ride. Disney can't provide a temporary sitter while the big kids play on the attractions. So if you husband can't join you till after 4 save the bigger rides till then. I believe the park maps indicate which attractions offer the baby/child swap. It might be best if you stop off and grab a fast pass for those attractions earlier in the day while doing stuff with the kids.

Have fun!
    Last edited by Disney Magic; 04-17-2009 at 08:56 PM.

• Banned User

Oh course, the sensible thing to do would be to leave the kids at home and in school where they should be at this time of the year, instead of taking them out of school to go Disney trekking.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Oh course, the sensible thing to do would be to leave the kids at home and in school where they should be at this time of the year, instead of taking them out of school to go Disney trekking.
    Spoken like a true parent

to the OP - if it is just you and your child, you don't have many choices. The child swap thing works by letting a parent return to the front of the line after the other parent has ridden. In many rides this is done with a special fastpass. So they simply return via the fastpass line. The waiting part of your party does not usually wait right there on the platform or anything, so it's not suitable to leave a young child alone.

With a six year old, there will be plenty to do staying within his height limit that you all should be able to enjoy together.

Once your hubby is with you in the park, you can use the child swap to your benefit quite a bit. A child swap ticket if I recall is good for up to 4 people.

So get in line with your hubby and child.. get to the front, do child swap. Ride the ride by yourself. Then simply ride the ride again by yourself with the child swap! Or.. let the hubby go It's like having an instant fastpass for any attraction for a re-ride.

Some attractions they do the child swap on the exit ramp if there is no fastpass return. Disney is quite accommodating to allow you to enjoy the park even if your child can't ride along with you.

Enjoy the trip!
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

I don't think there is much a five year old will be missing out on from school, he is probably in Kindergarten now anyways at that age. A few days away from crayons and paste and construction paper won't harm the child. Plus it is most likely spring break next week, at least it is for the school kids around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Magic View Post
    I don't think there is much a five year old will be missing out on from school, he is probably in Kindergarten now anyways at that age. A few days away from crayons and paste and construction paper won't harm the child. Plus it is most likely spring break next week, at least it is for the school kids around here.
    If you believe that is all a student does in Kindergarten, you have no idea what our education system has become.

We are gong to Disney world in May and I have a twelve year old and a fifteen year old. I am not worried about taking them out of school for one week as we already have plans with their teachers on making up the work. Family vacations are some time far and in between and they are important for healthy memories. Missing school for one week will not set a child back years! Especially if they make up the work. So negative.

Have fun with your six year old! You all will have a blast!

• Banned User

I rest my case. I am old school. My mother would have never taken me off school to go to WDW (as much as I would have liked that).. but in her own words, it would make her feel like an "irresponsible parent". I think the kids now a days have it too easy and taking kids from school to go vacationing..well.. it just sends the wrong signal to me. But hey.. they are your kids, you do whatever pleases you with them since now you have to deal with them until the day you die!! LOL!!!