Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Main St. Barber or Bibbidi for boy?

So we want to let Jaxon get a special 'do when we are there in Aug. I had planned on him, Dad and Grandpa all getting their haircut on mainstreet (with the bells & whistles of course!) but then I saw that for $12.95 he could get done up with the "Prince Philip" at Bibbidi along with a sword and shield. That sounds cool too. He is 5.

Any thoughts on one vs. the other?

• Disappearing/Reappearing

Re: Main St. Barber or Bibbidi for boy?

I do know that the inside of the Boutique is kinda girly...at least, the one in the castle is. It's pretty frou frou. I don't know if he'd like that.

For special do's....check out a place in Toontown Fair. There's a little shop....I think it's Pete's Body Shop. They have these cute little chairs that the kids sit in, and they spray paint their hair wacky colors, and throw glitter and mickey head glitter in their hair. Then, the kids get to walk around the rest of the day all sparkly and colorful!

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

At that age my younger son was so into Prince Phillip, he would've loved that. In fact, on his 6th birthday we went to DL and he wore his Prince Phillip costume.

That said, we took him to the Main Street Barber his first trip to WDW, he was 4, and he thought it was so cool! He got blue hair gel and Mickey confetti sprinkled in his hair. The barbers was great too.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

Do they charge for the Toon Town barber 'do? If not, we might do that the second day at MK.

He loves the princesses and doesn't care whether something is "girly" or not (at least not yet!) so that wouldn't be an issue. He likes Prince Philip too. I am torn though because I think it would be fun to have the 3 generations of guys all do the Barber Shop on Main St. together. Do they actually cut hair there? Anyone know what the price is? We might even do that one day and just Jaxon at Bibbidi for the Prince Phillip treatment the other day.

Thanks for the input!

• Banned User

Well, this is the deal.. the BBB gals do NOT cut hair. The Barbers at the Barber shop DO cut hair for real.. and they can also add color sprinkles and other littlw thing that are way much cheaper than the overly priced BBB. Personally, I would take my child to SuperCuts and save the money they would otherwise overcharge you at Disney.

I think it is only $14 or $17 for a haircut on Main St. Our Supercuts is $12.95 so for just a couple of $$'s more I think it would be worth it! I am sure it is something he will remember for many years.

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Here's how I look at it.

The barber moment is a bonding experience meant to be captured on video and photos with 3 generations. Quite a moment and something I would regret passing up.

The BBB thing is nice and all, very fun to do later in the day if you avoid the sprinkles and blue hair dying tricks 'cause I've never seen Prince Phillip with blue hair dye. Okay, maybe sprinkles is fun if you can brush them off to do the Prince makeover later in the day.

I'd still go with the bonding moment IF you still have to choose one over the other.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• Disappearing/Reappearing

yes, they do charge for the hair do at PEte's. They charge for everything at WDW. haha

I like the barber shop idea.

• Banned User

Well.. Prince Phillip has always been considered the "Stud" of the Disney manly Princes. I can see why some kids would be attracted to that character.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

We took our grandson to Disney World in 1997, and got his haircut at the Barber Shop. We found out later that this very Barber that cut his hair was originally from our own state of Illinois. Technically, it wasn't Sean's first haircut,, but since it was his first "Disney" haircut, they treated him well, and gave him a certificate.

In 2004, both Sean and I returned to the Barbershop, and we both got haircuts. We also both decided to get a Mickey silouhette on the back of our heads. We got a lot of attention, and had a lot of fun with those great haircuts.

I love spending some time at the Barbershop. I have made it a regular stop, at least once each trip, and I usually get a trim. Sometimes, I also have gel and sprinkles added to my hair. It means that I have to take off my hat, but I always have a lot of fun. A few years back, I watched a few very tiny children receive their first haircuts. They walked out with certificates, mouse ears, and a lot of smiles.

It's a fun place, and I think the price is reasonable. I am looking forward to stopping by the Barbershop on my up and coming August trip to WDW.
    Last edited by Barbaraann; 04-20-2009 at 01:47 PM.

I don't even like the BBB styles for girls -- so my vote would be Main St.

Quote Originally Posted by Micoofy Duck View Post
    The barber moment is a bonding experience meant to be captured on video and photos with 3 generations. Quite a moment and something I would regret passing up.
    ditto and Barbaraann, OMG!!!! you are the coolest Grandma ever! I so wish my children had a GM like you.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Well, this is the deal.. the BBB gals do NOT cut hair. The Barbers at the Barber shop DO cut hair for real.. and they can also add color sprinkles and other littlw thing that are way much cheaper than the overly priced BBB. Personally, I would take my child to SuperCuts and save the money they would otherwise overcharge you at Disney.
    You're not really going specifically for the haircut, you're going for the fun and for the memories, especially in the OP's position. And when you think about it, $14-$17 for a haircut there vs Supercuts isn't a bad deal. I know my boys still still talk about when they got their haircut on Main Street and it's been 6 years since they did it. I'd say that makes it 100% worth it.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Blue hair color... they do this on Main Street?

I guess I'm not understanding the fad of face painting and coloring hair at a Disney Park.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sdmom View Post
    ditto and Barbaraann, OMG!!!! you are the coolest Grandma ever! I so wish my children had a GM like you.
    When I go to Disney World with my grandson, I feel as young as he is. We have a wonderful time. Sean is 16 now, and he probably won't want to do the barbershop thing anymore. Instead, we will find more fun, and make more memories.

As has been said, there's just something really special about getting a haircut on Main Street. My experience has been that the barbers really get into the spirit of the magic. With the clip of the scissor, and the sprinkles, and the cooperation while parents snap pictures, it is a fun time.

First Come, First serve, and a little patience will be rewarded with a great memory.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast