WDW Pre-Trip Report, May 12-18, Wilderness Lodge, Platinum Plan

With less than 3 weeks to go I am officially calling an end to the trip planning and moving on to trip enjoying! This trip began as an extension of the crazy idea we had last December of taking each child to Disneyland on their birthday. We had purchased Annual Passes in December for a trip with the extended family and decided to do APs so we could come back in the fall of 2009 to enjoy the Halloween season. Since they were offering the Birthday Gift Card we figured it would also be fun to come down for 1 night just me and the birthday child. The last of three birthday trips was in March.

My wife and I decided to take a slightly different approach. Since both of our birthdays are in May we decided to take the big flight to Orlando instead (We are from Seattle). In February we started looking at the various deals that were out there and came across the 25% discount on the Platinum plan. I had read about this before but did not think it would be possible to justify the price. With a 25% discount and if you use as many of the plan features as possible it just about adds up to a good deal.

To further save on the expense we decided that we would use the Platinum package on May 13th-May 17th and add-on a day to the beginning and end, this would give us 5 full days of benefits for the least expense. We booked the Wilderness Lodge for the main stay, Pop Century for the first night, and Coronado Springs for the final night.

To make the most of the package we really took advantage of the tours and activities. We have both been to WDW several times so hitting the parks is secondary this time.

Tours and Activities booked:
    Day 1: Dolphins in Depth tour at EPCOT, Illuminations Cruise at EPCOT
    Day 2: Backstage Magic Tour (7 hour tour, includes lunch), special viewing area for Wishes fireworks at MK
    Day 3: Backstage Safari Tour at AK, Cirque Du Soleil
    Day 4: Magic Behind the Steam Trains at MK (May switch to Segways at EPCOT, we’ll see), Aqua Seas tour at EPCOT, Behind the Seeds
    Day 5: Personal Watercraft, Parasailing, and massage

and we also tried to maximize the dining. We wanted to book as many new locations as possible so skipped a few favorites (Although we have been to Coral Reef so not sure how it snuck in to this list)

Dining Reservations:
    Supercalifragilistic Breakfast at Grand Floridian
    San Angel Inn
    Yachtsman Steakhouse
    Whispering Canyon Café (Breakfast)
    Cinderella’s Royal Table (Dinner)
    Donald’s Safari Breakfast at Tusker House
    Yak and Yeti
    California Grill
    Coral Reef
    Victoria and Albert’s
    Chefs de France
    Hollywood Brown Derby

One of the best things about booking the Platinum plan is that you are able to use the itinerary planners at the resort. It is so nice to be able to just email back and forth making arrangements. A perfect example of this came up a few weeks ago when our grand plan came a part a bit. I received a call that the Seas Aqua Tour was no longer being held on Sundays. It took quite a bit or rearranging to get the Seas Aqua tour rescheduled for a different day and still keep everything else in place. Having the itinerary planners to help work through it was very helpful.

On Monday I realized that we would be having a nice evening the day we arrived to spend at the resort, we won’t have out package inclusions yet so will be taking it easy. It hit me that I should have booked the nicer resort for the first night and Pop Century for the final night since we are just going to sleep for a bit on the last night but actually be hanging around the resort the first night. Luckily they had rooms available at the same rate and were able to swap it so we are now arriving at Coronado Springs and departing from Pop Century. I think that makes more sense since we will not be getting to the resort that last night until midnight or so and need to be off to the airport by 6:00am.

The last piece of planning was to purchase a new camera. I ordered a Canon Powershot sx200is. This is a point and shoot camera because I really want something that can fit in the pocket but still offers a 12x zoom. I am hoping to get a week or two to break it in before we leave. I will certainly post up some pictures upon our return.

I did receive some good feedback from people here during the planning and made several adjustments to the plan based on it. Thanks!

Maybe you folks can tell me though. Does gettin' two womenfolk mean you're the winner or the loser?
    ~Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland

Re: WDW Pre-Trip Report, May 12-18, Wilderness Lodge, Platinum Plan

Wow, sounds so great, enjoy!

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Sounds fabulous!!

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Bravo on an amazing, once in a lifetime trip. I would hope you just don't take pictures, do take video of some of the trip. I would hate to look back at just photos, I would need some video to look back on. Borrow a video camera if you don't have one already. But I also assume your camera will have a movie mode of some kind.

Super jealous of your trip!

Remember, never argue when you're there. He's always right, you're always right, you're both right in any disagreement. When an argument starts just kiss and make up right away!
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• Sock Puppet

Amazing schedule! Makes me jealous.Have fun!!!

• I'll Break your Thumbs!!

Everything sounds amazing!!

Wilderness Lodge is an amazing hotel (never stayed there), but I did eat at the Whispering Canyon Cafe, and that was awesome.

Pop Century is still my favorite hotel on property (well out of the ones I can actually afford), as it is clean and has an awesome theme.

I think the one thing that will bring the entire trip together is a nice dinner at Ohana'

You know you want too...

Quote Originally Posted by Parisi View Post
    I think the one thing that will bring the entire trip together is a nice dinner at Ohana'

You know you want too...
    I do love Ohana', we went there last year and it was probably the best meal of our trip but there are so many more places to try that we'll have to skip it this time. Of course plans do change so we might end up there at some point.

I will also be doing some video. I just got my new camera (post over in Tech Lounge) and did a couple of test videos yesterday and am quite impressed with the quality of the video. Got an 8gb SD card so hopefully that will be enough for a day's worth of pictures and videos (I'll have a couple of 2gb cards in the event we fill it up before returning to the resort each evening).
    Maybe you folks can tell me though. Does gettin' two womenfolk mean you're the winner or the loser?
    ~Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland

• Looking for Hidden Mickey

Sounds like great plans! Can't wait for the trip report!
    Check out my page at www.myspace.com/wheresmickey

Check out my pin collection at www.pinpics.com. User name is WheresMickey