Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: Do you think WDW has too many hotel rooms?

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    I have always been disappointed in the "standard" room at the Disney World hotels. The standard room has always been one with 2 beds. The beds are usually only doubles, or sometimes a queen size. They should have made the standard room a room with 2 queen beds, and a sofa bed. This could accomodate a family of more than four, and would allow some familys to sleep in one room, and not have to book two.
    But you see, that's where they get you to spend more money. They make it so you HAVE to book more than one room to accommodate everyone in your party. Yeah they're not going to give that up while they're pocketing a pretty penny.

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Yes and no. My beef with the current resorts on property is the lack of amenities for an affordable price. Especially for the local FL residents that come over for the weekend, I think we get the shaft in the end.
    I agree. When I go to WDW, I make a long weekend out of it and while I like staying on property, it's getting ridiculous for the quality of room you get... you can get something equivalent or even nicer off property for a fraction of the cost. Sure some people like the convenience of using the Disney buses to get to the parks and the convenience of being in the "middle of the magic", but for those who have access to a car, we find it as a bit of a rip-off.

The $10 a day for internet has got to go. Especially when the Holiday-Econo-Comfort-Quality-Lodge-Inn off property has a cheaper room rate and FREE internet... and sometimes they even have FREE continental or even hot breakfast.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

I defintely feel they're toeing the line. Enough with the DVC, pump the money into the parks from here on out.

But, I don't feel that the water parks and mini golf is a waste. It's a good break from the hustle and bustle from the parks. Can you do that other places? Yes, but it's not the same. And for families staying onsite for a week or two the options to take a break and just hang out and do things together as a family is wonderful. On our last trip one of our favorite days was mini golf and hanging out on the Boardwalk.

Summer, I completely agree with you on the amenities/values. We have a package booked for June and decided to add some days. With our family of 5 our choices were limited to Deluxe rooms only to add on(or the cabins) we ended up going with the Embassy Suites a mile or so away for $100 a night including a full hot breakfast in the morning, a great perk with two teenaged boys

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post

I agree. When I go to WDW, I make a long weekend out of it and while I like staying on property, it's getting ridiculous for the quality of room you get... you can get something equivalent or even nicer off property for a fraction of the cost. Sure some people like the convenience of using the Disney buses to get to the parks and the convenience of being in the "middle of the magic", but for those who have access to a car, we find it as a bit of a rip-off.

The $10 a day for internet has got to go. Especially when the Holiday-Econo-Comfort-Quality-Lodge-Inn off property has a cheaper room rate and FREE internet... and sometimes they even have FREE continental or even hot breakfast.
    I agree with your points made here as well Aimster.. but bottom line is: Can you live without Extra Magic Hours?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    YES. WDW has too many hotels, too many DVCs, too many busses, too many water parks and minigolf courses.
    Sadly it has only 4 main themed parks and some of them could use more rides and shows.
    Point is.. all the money is being deviated to the hotel/DVC sector of WDW because they claim that is where the money is made.. yet they do not recognize the reason why people bother to come to WDW in the first place is the parks.. therefore, it is unacceptable for me to see how management invests and invests in more more more hotels/DVCs and neglet the parks which are the main draw.
    What he said.

I always laugh when I see tourism ads which focus on luxurious hotel rooms and amenities. Who spends their vacation locked in their hotel room?

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

I think like others here that Disney is right on the edge of building too many hotels. They almost had too many value resorts, but I sure wish they'd discovered that before starting construction. But they're going to keep on building DVC resorts, as they are a total cash cow for the company. I'm in the World right now, and just saw a clip of Roy Disney Jr. on TV where he basically said you go with what works, and DVC hotels are really working right now.

But I also agree with others that Disney needs to spend more money on the parks if they want to hang on to the huge crowds they're getting lately.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    This has to do with a thinking that is across the hotel industry. While the "Holiday-Econo-Comfort-Quality-Lodge-Inn" off site hotels have free internet, some even free Wi-Fi, the higher end hotels typically still charge. I would guess that when the Four Seasons opens that, unless there is a dramatic shift in the industry's thinking, internet access will cost money.

The upper end properties ( hotel-wise ) thinking on WiFi is: You're either on the company's expense card, and the $10.00 a day isn't a problem, or You don't give a damn, and spend the money.

I use it as an excuse to UNPLUG for 5 days. I only fired up the laptop to offload a memory card, and view the pictures.

And Disney should hold up construction on Bay Lake Towers until they get their act together at the Contemporary. Carpet Glue is what? A buck? And no-one gets around to gluing back the frayed edge of the carpet on the wall of the monorail escalator yet?

Ghetto.

Greetings All - I visited WDW the year it opened and the only places to stay on the grounds were the Contemporary Resort and the Polynesian Village - and even then, they were priced through the roof. I love the fact that for $82 a night (we usually go the first week in February), I can leave the outside world and become totally immersed in Disney "world." Where else can you walk outside your hotel room door and be greeted by a 4 story dalmation? I agree that more money could be put into developing newer attractions but I truly enjoy staying on the grounds. Having grown up staying at a Days Inn on the highway (in 1971, there wasn't much else around), I'm delighted that they built the value resorts and I think they're themed beautifully. If I had the money, I would do the high end hotels for the same reason. I would be inclined to skip the moderate resorts however. To me they seem to lack something. The rooms aren't much bigger than the value resorts and they're not as well themed as the other resorts, at either end of the spectrum.

BTW- if you look at films or pictures of Walt showing off the plans for WDW, he makes reference to everything that is there today. I wouldn't be surprised if all of this was part of the master plan laid out decades ago.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by mikelieman View Post
    And Disney should hold up construction on Bay Lake Towers until they get their act together at the Contemporary. Carpet Glue is what? A buck? And no-one gets around to gluing back the frayed edge of the carpet on the wall of the monorail escalator yet?

Ghetto.
    WELL SAID! Furthermore.. did we need a DVC tower there? or at least one that was so high that it effectively killed the architectural dynamics of the A-framed original tower?

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    WELL SAID! Furthermore.. did we need a DVC tower there? or at least one that was so high that it effectively killed the architectural dynamics of the A-framed original tower?
    I completely, 100% agree.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Banned User

That's another example of profits over show quality.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    What he said.

I always laugh when I see tourism ads which focus on luxurious hotel rooms and amenities. Who spends their vacation locked in their hotel room?
    The problem I have with that is if I'm going to be somewhere for a week or more, I am going to take a day off at some point so those little luxuries come in handy when you have a family of four.

Snacks, cereal, milk in the fridge, sometimes having some comforts of home helps.

The internet is an expendable luxury I will admit but the main point I'm trying to make is there is no "value" for the money you pay to be on site.

I would also like to say I LOVE staying on property for all the reasons people listed, value all the way up to deluxe but it's just getting too expensive for a 1-2 night stay and if you're driving a car (as most don't I realize) it just seems like a waste of money, to me, personally.

• Mkcoastie

Smile Re: Do you think WDW has too many hotel rooms?

While I do think that there probably a to many rooms overall, I also know that certain resorts book completely full on a regular basis. Now, as far as what I think of the resorts....(here comes the rant....sory) I hear it said a lot that you can get a great room that is choked full of amenities just off property for much less. I felt I had to put my 2 cents in on this subjuct. While I can certainly understand the desire to save money (which could be then spent in the parks), I would like to put forward that the disney resorts can be worth the extra expense. A little example I can offer is that I can get into my one of my regional parks (let's say Kings Dominion outside of richmond) for about $38 a day. When compared to the cost of WDW thats a bargin, right? But, yet, I would MUCH rather drive my family half way accross the country and pay WAY more to visit WDW. The Disney parks are not simply "amusement parks," which is in reality what most regonal parks are. The Disney Parks are true "THEME parks." Through those gates (to quote a certain brass plaque at an admitedly much better Disneyland) I enter the worlds of yesterday, tommorow and fantasy. The disney parks present an imersive enviorment that is just simply not available elsewhere. The same is true with the Disney resorts. Yes the beds at the Hilton or Embasy Suites down the road are probably more comfortable, but my hotel has a myan pyiramid at the pool. OK, maybe the best western gives a kick'n free breakfast, but my hotel has a Gaint buzz Lightlear outside my door (guess which of those my kids prefer). This is not to say that I have anything against someone staying off premise (whatever floats you new it's a small world boat), I just feel that for as little as I am actually able to go to WDW, I willing to shell out some more money for the full experiance. (oh lord, I'm starting to sound like that annoying "when you think about it" guy in the trip planning DVD). Just my thoughts, have a wonderful disney day!
    Last edited by mkcoastie; 04-24-2009 at 07:24 PM. Reason: poor spelling and proof reading the first time

• jeffrey

Disney World does have many rooms but I wouldn't say too many. While I was there, The Grand Floridian, Polynesian, and Contemporary were almost or completely booked; and these are hotels in which the rooms START at $400+ per night. Not to fly too off topic, but at a time where our economy is in the crapper, people apparently don't mind spending HUGE on a vacation to Disney World, even at the all star resorts, thats still a bit of money...not to mention the hideous cost of food. Anyway, WDW did just host over 17 milion people last year; so no, the hotels are, at least, accomodating to about half of that number and that's why Disney World continues to build more hotel rooms because their property attracts THAT many people per year.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    This could accomodate a family of more than four, and would allow some familys to sleep in one room, and not have to book two.
    You answered your own concern right there.

Simple answer: yes. Hence why after 9-11 the Pop was never finished. Hence why both the French Quarter and the Caribbean could both be 100% closed for long "rehabs" in the last decade. Hence why AKL could "lose" rooms to DVC. Hence why the number of rooms at the Music was reduced to create "family suites".

When times are good Hotels make money, and good times never seem to have an end in sight, so MORE MORE MORE is the way to go. Until things crash and you realize how many empty rooms you have.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast