Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Banned User

Do you think WDW has too many hotel rooms?

• Banned User

Re: Do you think WDW has too many hotel rooms?

YES. WDW has too many hotels, too many DVCs, too many busses, too many water parks and minigolf courses.
    Sadly it has only 4 main themed parks and some of them could use more rides and shows.
    Point is.. all the money is being deviated to the hotel/DVC sector of WDW because they claim that is where the money is made.. yet they do not recognize the reason why people bother to come to WDW in the first place is the parks.. therefore, it is unacceptable for me to see how management invests and invests in more more more hotels/DVCs and neglet the parks which are the main draw.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by lakersboy92 View Post
    No. Not enough rides though.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• All-American

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    YES. WDW has too many hotels, too many DVCs, too many busses, too many water parks and minigolf courses.
    Sadly it has only 4 main themed parks and some of them could use more rides and shows.
    Point is.. all the money is being deviated to the hotel/DVC sector of WDW because they claim that is where the money is made.. yet they do not recognize the reason why people bother to come to WDW in the first place is the parks.. therefore, it is unacceptable for me to see how management invests and invests in more more more hotels/DVCs and neglet the parks which are the main draw.
    IMO the water parks and mini-golf courses are great, as they are at least places that guests will travel to see and experience, and are a place they will happily spend their day. Even the buses are fine, as they help with mobility and keeping guests on property, although I wish Disney would use more unique transportation such as monorails or PeopleMovers. On the other hand, guests pretty much just use their hotel to sleep in, and stay within their hotel of choice, although some WDW veterans know that visiting differently-themed hotels can be just as enjoyable of an experience.

The number of rooms WDW has built in the last decade or so has been of concern to me, both from an environmental and a guest experience standpoint. They are increasing resort attendance (and therefore park attendance) without increasing park capacity... no new parks, no new lands, no new rides. So the parks are just getting more and more crowded. And environmentally, the WDW Resort is blessed with a lot of natural beauty between the parks, which have the additional function of separating places thematically, and the growing number of rooms is wearing that away. Also, at some point Disney might embark on another Saratoga Springs-sized hotel project, and find that their attendance has peaked (or there's been a recession), and then they would have the huge EuroDisney problem of losing revenue to hotel rooms.

So in general... I wish that WDW would STOP building hotel rooms... and take their DVC projects elsewhere, like they have with Vero Beach and Hawaii... and focus on their parks for a while.

• All-American

Double post... my mistake

• Not here to help

they should have built fewer hotels and themed them more. the rooms around DAK could have been more like tents or african style cottages. many americans would be scared of the thought to live like that while in WDW but it would offer tourists a more themed experience.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I have always been disappointed in the "standard" room at the Disney World hotels. The standard room has always been one with 2 beds. The beds are usually only doubles, or sometimes a queen size. They should have made the standard room a room with 2 queen beds, and a sofa bed. This could accomodate a family of more than four, and would allow some familys to sleep in one room, and not have to book two.

Some people would say, that Disney World does have accomodations for this, but those are quite expensive.

Disney World is supposed to be a family destination, but in some ways, I think they go out of their way to make it inconvenient for some families, and only cater to those families who have more money.

• Inappropriate

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Are you trying to say people come to stay at the hotels so they can go to the parks?? Nonsense!
    I will agree with half of what you said. Management should understand that people are staying in the hotels so they can visit the parks. the hotels themselves are not the draw. I don't think there's too many rooms, but with one more hotel there could be. Pump money back into the parks.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• World Traveler

I don't think WDW has too many hotels. The reason there are so many hotels is that they want to compete with the hotels in the Orlando/Kissimmee area and therefore, they had to have a whole range of hotel types including values and moderates.

There are also times when the resorts are filled to capacity (obviously not during this recession) so they might even need more rooms to satisfy demand.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Yes and no. My beef with the current resorts on property is the lack of amenities for an affordable price. Especially for the local FL residents that come over for the weekend, I think we get the shaft in the end.

Unless we want to fork over $300-$500 a night for a nice resort, we get a well themed room with a bed elsewhere. Otherwise it costs us on the high end $120-$200 a night for Value to moderate, now I realize they do have FL rates and AP rates but those tend to be only available Sun - Thurs. Well if you live here most people work full time, so unless you're taking a vacation from work, at least my family goes over for an extended weekend so we have to pay full price without a discount.

Also, back to amenities, if you go under a mile outside the parks you can get so much more for less.

For example:

There is a Radisson hotel that we've stayed at on 192, on the west side where it's newer. We got a nice room with a fridge, flat screen TV, FREE internet AND a breakfast buffet for only $79 a night. Our room even had a view of Expedition Everest! When you look at it from just that aspect alone, off site wins to those that don't wish to spend the ridiculous prices that they charge for value WITHOUT most of those amenities I've listed. Fridge - Not unless someone in your party has a medical reason. Internet - $10 bucks a night. Breakfast? - Yeah right. LOL

So while I'm a person that doesn't mind spending more to get a great value, for what you get onsite just doesn't equal what is available offsite for much less and you get MUCH more.

It's sad really, because I'd honestly rather give Disney my money.

• Hello there

Blog Entries

Summer you are right about the hotels off properties. We have stayed at a lot of different hotels off property and got more bang for my buck. We have stayed on property as well but it does cost more for less. I don't undertand why something as simple as a fridge cannot be standard in the values.
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• Disappearing/Reappearing

no. I think as long as they can sell the number of rooms they have.....there's no problem.

• Disappearing/Reappearing

I will say this....

we have stayed in luxury condos. With three bedrooms, two baths, balconies, kitchen, jacuzzi tubs, all the amenities. And it was cheaper for an entire week, then staying 4 nights at a Disney Value hotel. We've done this twice.

We've stayed on property 3 times. At Pop Century. All it took was one time, staying at a Disney hotel...and we were totally hooked. We love the theming of the value resorts...the bright colors, the fun characters displayed around the property. We love that we don't have to drive if we don't want to. We can hop on a bus at the end of the day and be delivered right to the hotel. We love that there's a food court, and we don't have to settle for whatever fast food we pass on the way back to the hotel. When you stay off property...and you're exhausted at the end of the night, nothing sucks worse than driving to your hotel AND having to find something to eat before you get there!

We're pretty simple people though. We don't care that there's no internet...we're on vacation. Heck, the only channel we watch on the tv is the one that has the Disney information. Our child keeps it on that channel. Yes, it gets repeatative...but, we're not in the room long enough to watch it more than twice at a time anyway.

We don't care that there's no fridge, we'll grab a drink before we head out of the hotel. Or wait till we get to the park.

We stay at the hotels because we love the feeling of never leaving Disney. That's why we stay at the Value resorts, too. Those are the only ones we feel has that real, Disney vibe. It's got the color, the characters, the silliness. We love just having everything right there....the parks for fun, our hotel to sleep in, the food court to munch at. We love it.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I think that the original intent was for the hotels to be part of the reason that people visited Walt Disney World. Since you don't need a car to get around once you are on Disney World property, many people do indeed arrive without one. I remember when they first began selling the Magic Your Way tickets. I believe this was done so that we would take longer Disney vacations. I admit that I haven't spent nearly enough time enjoying the hotels that I have stayed at.

It seems to be, get up, and rush out to the parks. I'd like to change that on my next trip, and enjoy my hotel a little more.

I think that we need to look at the whole picture when we are planning our vacations. They aren't cheap. I do believe that we should plan a little "hotel" time into our trips. Deliberately buy less days on that park ticket.

I guess I really haven't answered the question about too many rooms. I do think that Disney could do a little improvement on the rooms that are already there.

• Banned User

I think a proof of this overbuilding is sitting right next to the current existing Pop Century... the half built Ghost Hotel. On the other hand.. You have that Reedy Creek time share on property building up like there is no tomorrow.. I wonder if their prices are competitive and offer more than Disney's hotel on their own turf.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast