Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: move a legacy?

• Mkcoastie

Question move a legacy?

Well, on our recent trip to the world I got to thinking about what could be done to improve the parks without spending too much during the ressesion (although, I think this is when Disney needs to be pumping some cash in, so they can be ready for the recovery). I struck me, that the mouse could get three cheers and a round of beer...(perferably "dark Beer") from everyone on micechatters, simply by removing things. The obvious on is the the giant hat of guady-uglyness over at the studios. But, just as important is one that my wife (whom bless her heart is not a Disney fanatic....but humors me well) even noticed. to quote her on her first trip to EPCOT......

"what are those ugly pillar things....they don't seem to fit with everything else?"

yes, I'm refering to leave a legacy. now it strikes me that out of respect for those who payed good money to leave their own legacy, they can't just get rid of theese. So, what I was thinking was "legacy garden." this can be a beatifully landscaped garden off to the side somewhere in EPCOT. the pillars can be moved there, and with the addition of some benches and what-not it could be a rather peacful rest stop. I think that would keep the legacy, but would remove it as the focos of the entrance plaza. what do you think?
    Last edited by mkcoastie; 04-25-2009 at 04:08 AM. Reason: needs to start using the "preview" button

• Banned User

Re: move a legacy?

I say.. bulldoze it for good.

it's strange but somehow I think landscaping would make the whole graveyard comment that people always talk about even worse o_O

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I think moving the existing monoliths would be a bad idea. They were designed to frame focus on Spaceship Earth. Sitting in a garden somewhere they would have no focal point. They would just be an empty frame.

A garden with more wall like elements would be even more reminiscent of a war memorial.

I'd be interested in knowing if the contract specified any sort of degree of prominence, or just display. A display somewhere inside the central plaza buildings could possibly work. Maybe somebody could figure out a way to make it interactive and toss it in Innoventions.

I hate those monoliths too, but there is no ethical way to take care of it. People paid good money. I say, bring back the fountain that was in front of SpaceShip Earth!
    "Those who say that something can not be done, should not interrupt those who are doing it."- If anyone know who said this, please let me know.

• Minion

well framed or not, Spaceship Earth would be better without them. I think the should be relocated to the trash. OR at least embed them with LED's to create the illusion that they are shimmering, LED's can fix anything.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sir.Mouse View Post
    well framed or not, Spaceship Earth would be better without them. I think the should be relocated to the trash. OR at least embed them with LED's to create the illusion that they are shimmering, LED's can fix anything.
    I was not saying that they frame Spaceship Earth well, just that that is what they do and without something to frame they would look even worse.

I think you mean fiber optics, like they have in the Hollywood Tower Hotel sign.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    +1

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    I think you mean fiber optics, like they have in the Hollywood Tower Hotel sign.
    fiber optics or LEDs. I think they make LEDs small enough to make it look like pixy dust.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Implode it, then bulldoze away the remains and bring back a new version of the plexiglass thingy that used to be there. Bring the entrance plaza back to its former glory.

• All-American

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Implode it, then bulldoze away the remains and bring back a new version of the plexiglass thingy that used to be there. Bring the entrance plaza back to its former glory.
    Do you have any pictures? Sounds interesting.

And although they do a decent job of framing Spaceship Earth, they still are still an annoying eyesore that causes bottleneck problems. And I hate how they painted red rocks on the beams holding up the sphere.

I think it would be fair to the people that Left a Legacy if they relocated them to some other prominent location... like in the plaza in front of the turnstiles.

I think I read that Disney wants to move them, but they are waiting for some contract to expire.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MarkTwain View Post
    Do you have any pictures? Sounds interesting.
    http://www.ce.ntu.edu.tw/photo/spati...%20Orlando.jpg
    http://www.ce.ntu.edu.tw/photo/spati...%20Orlando.jpg

More can easily be found online.

I think I read that Disney wants to move them, but they are waiting for some contract to expire.
    My understanding is that Disney contractually is free to move them all that they want. The conditions are only that they be displayed for a certain numbers of years, not that they must be displayed in their current manner.

I am so appalled at this notion, specifically because my family did pay the money to have the pictures put in place and it is tradition that during our family reunions at EPCOT, we all stand in front of our monoliths and take pictures. It's our own little piece of Disney and we want to keep it like that!

• Mostly Harmless.

If they removed it where would I play hide and go seek with my kids when we are leaving the park???

But... if it was gone it would be WAY easier to photoshop the Death Star over Spaceship Earth!
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

I say, build a whole new Epcot. Neigh... EPCOT Center! The entrance should look like it did in 1982. Also, bring back the old figment, Horizons, World of Motion, The Living Seas, Wonders of Life (Or at least BodyWars) and Communicore!
    "Those who say that something can not be done, should not interrupt those who are doing it."- If anyone know who said this, please let me know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast