Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Red Face Where The Heck Are The "Magical Upgrades" For Resort Hotels?

For once I'd like to go to one of my value or moderate resort hotels booked for my vacation and then to have the front desk surprise me and my family as one of the random hotel guests who have been "Magically Upgraded" to a Deluxe suite or hotel room.

I mean COME ON WALT DISNEY WORLD, start this program at the end of this year or at the start of next year! I'm sure there are so many empty rooms at the larger resorts thus freeing up a room at the value/moderate resorts for another paying customer.

MAGICAL ROOM UPGRADES!

Anyone else like this idea? Have they already done this?
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Re: Where The Heck Are The "Magical Upgrades" For Resort Hotels?

Or, how about you actually pay for the room at the resort you want and you get magically what you paid for? Shiesh.

Actually, "magical upgrades" that you speak of are quite common, but only during the times when a value resort is oversold. The "magical upgrade" is usually to a DVC property.
    -Bill

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Oh please, people are always happy with what they get at WDW and DL hotels.

But NOT everyone has the money to shell out for the deluxe resorts in this economy.

I mean if the parks this year have already offered "3 free days" and now "free dining" then why the heck not "free hotel upgrade" on top of a Cinderella's Suite upgrade.

I am shocked at your apparent attitude towards regular folk getting an upgrade. Tsk Tsk.
    Micoofy Duck

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

I think you missed my point entirely. The random magical upgrades are already done all the time. You just haven't been getting them. Just bad luck. My main point is that if you don't get it, don't complain about it. It's luck of the draw.

If I came off as standoffish, I'm sorry, but your first post sounds like you're complaining that you've never been chosen to get the upgrade. I'm sorry that you haven't gotten it, but I know many who have. They're the ones that don't expect it too, and they've never been disappointed when they haven't gotten it.

As far as the bad economy, yeah, I know. We all know. Stop blaming the economy on everything. It's getting old. Even the company is blaming the economy for a lot of things that have nothing to do with the economy.

The deluxe rooms have some great discounts out now, some are being sold at the rates normally reserved for moderates. I'd check those out if I were you. Or, try the Gaylord Palms or Swan and Dolphin. They always seem to have good rates if you call them directly.
    -Bill

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    I think you missed my point entirely. The random magical upgrades are already done all the time. You just haven't been getting them. Just bad luck. My main point is that if you don't get it, don't complain about it. It's luck of the draw.

If I came off as standoffish, I'm sorry, but your first post sounds like you're complaining that you've never been chosen to get the upgrade. I'm sorry that you haven't gotten it, but I know many who have. They're the ones that don't expect it too, and they've never been disappointed when they haven't gotten it.

As far as the bad economy, yeah, I know. We all know. Stop blaming the economy on everything. It's getting old. Even the company is blaming the economy for a lot of things that have nothing to do with the economy.

The deluxe rooms have some great discounts out now, some are being sold at the rates normally reserved for moderates. I'd check those out if I were you. Or, try the Gaylord Palms or Swan and Dolphin. They always seem to have good rates if you call them directly.
    Excellent post, Bill! Can't always wear kid gloves in giving sound advise. Peronally, I'm happy to stay in any room when I;m at a Disney Hotel. This contributes to the enjoyment factor of an overall vacation just about as much as the theme parks.

If lady luck shined her lovely face on me and I received a room upgrade ..that would be icing on top of the icing on the cake.

Please allow me to commend you on your continued high quality threads/posting, and state that you are a giganormous asset to MiceChat ..and one hecka nice guy to boot.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Getting upgraded depends on how full the resort is. If they're mostly empty they have the space to upgrade you. Or if they overbook they might bump you into a nicer category. The key is to ask at the desk, in your nicest voice possible, if there are any upgrades available. FWIW, I just tried this at Port Orleans French Quarter, and was denied. But I'll keep trying!

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Seriously?

Thanks for informing me and others what to do in terms of discussing issues on here. I know I am personally affected by the economy and I really don't need anyone else to tell me otherwise. My use of "economy" is completely valid and in no means something that needs to be stopped by me or anyone else. We've heard you request to stop but you know it won't. I'm sorry I can't help you with the issue.

And you know Bill, I think you misread or just plain looked at my post as something completely different that it was as you admitted yourself in your previous post. This in turn created my response to your response, etc etc. And we should really end it at that. We all understand how everyone here can be misread here and how everything typed can be misinterpreted. It happens.

And just in case you don't know already I personally have stayed at deluxe{Yacht Club, Wilderness Lodge}, moderate{Carribean Resort x2} and value{Pop, Sports} at WDW and GCH and off property Regency Orange County Hotel at the Disneyland Resort, all rooms and trips that I've raved about on my blog and have never personally regretted a visit or a hotel room. I personally have been able to in the past visit all levels the resorts have to offer and I am extremely grateful that I was able to do so in the past years. I also know families in my circle of family and friends who have only been able to visit one or twice due to their income and have only been able to book value resort rooms wishing they could stay at the more, what they like to call "overpriced rooms".

Most of us here fit somewhere of not being able to afford suites and upgraded hotel rooms so my idea was that Deluxe suites would be offered as a "Magical Upgrade", something I originally mentioned in my very first post. That is something out of my price range and possibly out of many others who visit. I just suggested in a bold way that I'd like to see the suites and pricey hotel rooms be offered as a new "surprise" for guests booking under certain conditions, sort of how "free dining" and "get 3 free" offers were handled. Just simply a new "idea" to get people booking.

The Deluxe Suites are something I'd like to see promoted as a tool as a "Magical Upgrade" for families who are booking rooms at lower or any level of hotel rooms on Disney property, not just upgrades in the same hotel itself which is commonly done in all aspects of hotel business. Sort of how the Cinderella Suite was offered, no matter what hotel you're staying at, you were upgraded for at least one night to the top suite except with this new "idea" a family could be upgraded to one heck of a suite for their entire vacation, a suite special offered as a "Magical Upgrade" or an incentive for people to book the hotel rooms offered at lower levels.

It's obvious people this year were not booking quick enough as earlier in this year WDW had to keep expanding and prolonging the "stay 4 nights, get 3 nights free" booking trick. People are not booking as quick as they were before. I know nearly everyone visiting last year was hoping "I get the Cinderella Suite" prize even though they didn't expect it but yet still knew it was a huge giveaway on "most nights". Same thing with the Deluxe Suites.

That's all. I'd personally like to think the suites and villas are not filling up from my own financial view point but I of course may be wrong and Disney resorts are doing just fine in that department.

I'd like to think we're done now. Have a magical day! You know this works out well because now my "idea" has better been explained. Thank you for that. Now do please have an even more magical day.
    Last edited by Micoofy Duck; 04-26-2009 at 02:57 PM.
    Micoofy Duck

• World Traveler

I've gotten upgraded within the same resort once, so it does happen.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeland View Post
    I've gotten upgraded within the same resort once, so it does happen.
    I have too - a nice surprise I didn't ask for.

A free upgrade to a different class of hotel is a nice idea, and mabe someday it will happen to you.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Micoofy Duck View Post
    Oh please, people are always happy with what they get at WDW and DL hotels.
    Not really. Many have complained lately of how staying off property for the same prices WDW charge, will get you better ammenities and services ..such as free wireless internet and other perks..

But NOT everyone has the money to shell out for the deluxe resorts in this economy.
    This to me is the biggest misconception. WDW is already giving out great deals to visit the resorts... why should they make it even better by giving free upgrades right and left to just anyone? It should be a give and take.. want a free upgrade? then no Magic hours for you! Pay a bit more and enjoy the Magic hours.. etc. After all, WDW is about the mighty dollar.. not about giving charity to guests.

I mean if the parks this year have already offered "3 free days" and now "free dining" then why the heck not "free hotel upgrade" on top of a Cinderella's Suite upgrade.

I am shocked at your apparent attitude towards regular folk getting an upgrade. Tsk Tsk.
    I rest my case. This borders on free-loading, and in this day and age, business can no longer afford this.

• Pilot EdForceOne

'in this day and age...' business needs to focus on attracting and retaining customers - not just cutting costs.

This is why you see people say you must increase advertising, not cut it, during recessions.

A happy customer is a spending customer. If the rooms are sitting idle and the overhead already committed... upgrading guests opens new potential spending.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• We Go On.

I would say, "Wow, thanks!" and happily go on to my deluxe suite.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    'in this day and age...' business needs to focus on attracting and retaining customers - not just cutting costs.

This is why you see people say you must increase advertising, not cut it, during recessions.

A happy customer is a spending customer. If the rooms are sitting idle and the overhead already committed... upgrading guests opens new potential spending.
    I agree, where is the line between "free loading" and giving a little back to retain good customer service?

The problem with the decline of most businesses, including Disney, is they are focusing on the bottom line instead of how to keep bringing people back. Once you focus on the all mighty dollar you lose sight of what brought people there in the first place.

You gotta spend money to make money.

• ~~~~~~

I hadn't been to WDW for about ten years, until a visit this past January with my mom. We were upgraded at the Boardwalk Inn from a standard room to the Steeplechase Suite--the biggest room at that hotel. It didn't make much sense to me, not that we were complaining. The time we went in January is considered one of the "slow periods," so I suspect that had something to do with it.

It was just the two of us, and the room could sleep 8! It was definitely a wonderful surprise and greatly appreciated, but I'm 22 and I couldn't help but wonder if a family with young children should have received attention like that.

One thing I have never seen with WDW that you often see with cruise lines is an offer along the lines of "book a value and get a moderate", "free upgrade to water view"", etc.

These are easy to market as a very limited deal to spur action as they can advertise that specific categories, etc. have very limited availablity.

Another thing we do quite often on cruises is book a guaranteed cabin with no cabin assignment which gives a chance of an upgrade if it is available. Disney could offer a similar promotion guaranteeing best available room that is available when you check-in.

Not quite what the OP was asking for but just ideas of other creative marketing Disney could use outside of the current extra nights and dining giveaways.
    Maybe you folks can tell me though. Does gettin' two womenfolk mean you're the winner or the loser?
    ~Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast