Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone stayed at Port Orleans Riverside?

We'll be headed to WDW for our first family vacation... My boys will be 6 and 8. We're leaning towards Port Orleans Riverside and are hoping to hear feedback (positive and negative) from folks who've stayed there previously. Thanks for your help!
    -Amy

• Irrational Mr. Toad Fan

Re: Anyone stayed at Port Orleans Riverside?

Personally, I love it there. Best bang for your buck on property. The entire resort is beautiful and well themed.

I think it's the most underrated resort on property. The scenery is beautiful, the rooms are very nice for the price range and the food court I would argue is the best on Disney Property. The pool area is also very nice. You can even do unique things there like rent fishing poles and go fishing. I am a big fan of Port Orleans Riverside and would even say it is one of my favorite resorts on Property. I don't think you will be disappointed.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I stayed there once and quite liked it. I liked the theming of the rooms better than the French Quarter. One small warning though, at night it's a little creepy and might remind you of the movie Deliverance if you're in the Alligator Bayou section.

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

I've always passed over Port Orleans for Other Resorts. Twice I was ready to book it but then once upgraded to the Wilderness Lodge and another time switched to Carribbean Beach Resort. I've been wanting to stay there for some time but have always passed it up for another hotel.

I suggested to my family for this year's trip and they didn't like it, they wanted another resort...

I guess the resort is perfect for those into the theme of Port Orleans.

Have you checked out the resort via YouTube?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUV3mR_n8IY"]YouTube - Disney's Port Orleans Riverside Resort[/ame]

Is one link with fun music and photos of the resort. I looks well themed for those into that type of decor and setting.

Remember Port Orleans is split up into 2 areas/resorts. There's the riverside and the french quarter, featured below.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4UEzOiE8Pk]YouTube - Port Orleans French Quarters - WDW Resort[/ame]
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I stayed at POR two different times with my grandson, and we liked it a lot. My grandson especially liked the cane pole fishing, and the swimming was great there as well. If you stay at POR, you are also able to swim at Port Orleans French Quarter as well. They have a cool dragon slide.

I enjoyed the walk to the food court each morning. I like the way the resort is designed. You really don't have that long a walk to get around. I have stayed at Caribbean Beach, and Coronado, and those two resorts are so much larger than POR.

Also, from POR, you can get a boat that will take you to Downtown Disney.

I would highly recommend the resort. We stayed in the Magnolia Bend's area of the resort.

I think that your two boys are the perfect age for this resort, especially if you plan on spending time swimming, and using the hotel's amenities.

• Disneyholic

Personally I love the POR properties, it's a lot less walking to get to the on site amenities than at the other two moderates, the Alligator bayou section has the trundle beds, and as mentioned French Quarter and Riverside are actually two resorts that share amenities, meaning you can walk over and use either main pool area, etc.

Other nice features are that they have catch and release fishing, boat rentals, and it's a short boart ride from DTD for folks who are the night owl types. I did have one client complain that it's easy to get lost at night the first couple days but really I think that's true of almost any of the Moderates.
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

A decent resort with much to offer. I think you'll like it.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Another trip down I-4

I like it there - it's quiet, and I enjoy walking around each morning / evening. If you're going to choose a Disney resort, you can't really go wrong at Riverside.

We just got back from there on Thursday. The resort is beautiful. The grounds are kept nicely, the rooms are in Plantation like mansions. For what we used the room for (sleeping, showering) it worked for us. The beds were a little hard, but the showerhead made up for that (not one of those stupid water saving ones). I agree that the food court is great and it is open late. There is a nice pool on the grounds that has a waterslide, kiddie area and it is really popular. There are also pools inbetween the "mansions". We used these as they weren't busy at all. One night we had one to ourselves. We stayed in the Acadian House which was a very short walk to the bus stop to catch the buses that go to the Disney parks. We were also a very short walk to the main pool and the main building with the food court. We would stay there again.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by taylorta View Post
    the rooms are in Plantation like mansions.
    That's the Magnolia Bend section. The Alligator Bayou section is a bit more rustic. Here are some pics I took of the room/building I stayed at there a few years ago:

And this the room I stayed at over at the French Quarter part:

You guys are awesome! Thanks SO much for your advice! I'm booking today. Can't wait to go!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

My first choice for you would be French Quarter based on my own personal likes, you should really check out photos of both Riverside and French Quarter to see what suits your preference.

Personally I don't go much for the rustic so if you stay in Riverside I would ask for the Magnolia Plantation side of POR. I think it's prettier.

In the end they are both great resorts and both offer wonderful amenities so either way you can't go wrong.

Another vote of approval here. Stayed last year in the Alligator bayou section as we needed the trundle. Made for a bit of a walk to the main building but it was nice to have the quiet pool right in our litlle group of buildings and we were close to a bus stop so it was easy to get around.

I still have many resorts to visit before feeling I need to stay at the same resort twice so won't be back for a while but would recommend it as a good choice (Particularily if you need to sleep 5).
    Maybe you folks can tell me though. Does gettin' two womenfolk mean you're the winner or the loser?
    ~Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland

• Hurry Baaaaaaaack!

POR is my favorite moderate hotel at WDW. Spacious enough to sleep 5 comfortably, great food court, nice side pools, great general store, nice atmosphere...the list goes on and on! Alligator Bayou is my personal favorite section. It's very cute and rustic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast