The whole Ice Station Cool/Club LameName thing has brought a lot of good memories to my mind lately. ISC eventually became my favorite thing about Epcot. I just hope the free sodas return, especially Mezzo. In light of the recent attention to the subject, heres a good story,
Back when I rarely made the trip from San Antonio to Epcot, I stopped in Ice Station Cool. On that day, my friends and I found a new love for the Orange tinted cola, Mezzo Mix. We found ourselves making a trip every hour to sample the citrus-laced fizzy. If you know Epcot, you know how long of a walk it is from the American Adventure to Innoventions, but we tirelessly made it every time.
Well, on one of those trips back inside the ISC, or "The Hop" as we liked to call it, I stumbled on the brilliant idea of paying for one of those 3 foot tall Coke bottle coin banks and filling it with our delectable MezzObsession. After 13 minutes of constant filling, we filled it up.
But, and I consider this a big turning point in my life, a few things didn't go as planned:
1. Whilst carrying around a 3 foot tall plastic bottle filled with soda, it leaves at least one of the members of your party to have "Soda Babysitting" duty. Not fun.
2. The lack of a 3 foot long straw makes drinking out of our Mezzopotamia quite a task. It took two to lift, one to drink.
3. You get a lot of wierd looks from guests.
4. I didn't know Florida had flies until we created this 3 foot tall beacon for them.
5. The container wasn't exactly "leak proof"
6. Mezzo Mix is quite good, but... well, you kind of get sick after your third gallon.
7. Ellen and Bill Nye totally changed our lives on that sugar high.
So there we are, bloated, destroyed, and quite sick from Mezzo overload. I'm not a female, but I think that's as close as I'll ever come to feeling menstrual pains. As good ol' Walt's punishment for abusing "The Hop's" magical juice, two things occurred:
A friend and I both ralphed in front of the roman empire in ruins on SSE. Also, in a freak of science in which none can explain, a half-full juggarnaut of Mezzo spontaneously combusted all over one of my friends, leaving him sticky the rest of the afternoon. Out of this whole time, however, I was really intrigued by the fact that not a single cast member said anything to us.
There really isn't a moral to this story because I'm sure no one is as dumb as I was back then. I hope you enjoyed it, however.