Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Epcot.

Epcot.

We so need one in CA. DCA sucks, its getting better but still sucks. TDS was way cooler and seemed way better as far as attractions and theming. I am envious of you in FL and epcot.
    Basically I just want to drink some beers and go on test track and not get a DUI.
    I don't like strollers, kids on leashes or ecv's. Yeah, I'm a jerk like that. But I am pro musket cap gun at D Land.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Re: Epcot.

When I went to DL last June all I said to myself was, "This would be the ultimate Disney destination, if they just ripped out DCA and put in Epcot."

I couldn't agree with you more.

At the DLR they were planning on building a version of EPCOT, WestCOT. Announced in 1991, and scraped due to costs in 1995, Disney decided to built DCA instead.

More information @ en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WestCOT .

• I'll Break your Thumbs!!

Quote Originally Posted by lakewood View Post
    We so need one in CA. DCA sucks, its getting better but still sucks. TDS was way cooler and seemed way better as far as attractions and theming. I am envious of you in FL and epcot.
    Basically I just want to drink some beers and go on test track and not get a DUI.
    While I understand CA residents frustrations with DCA, I think you would be better off with a clone of TDS! I visited TDS in 2005 and to this day still think it is the nicest of any Disney park I have ever been to. The theming of it alone is amazing...plus the rides there are awesome! I actually wish that if WDW gets around to making a 5th gate, they would put in a clone of TDS!

I'm confused, have you been to both TDS and Epcot?

dude DCA is already becoming a much better park then Hollywood Studios in Florida. It has a clearer ride count and is much better looking (though ToT/Screamin arn't as good as RnRC/ToT but most of DCA's other offerings end up equal to or soon will be better)

isn't this more a California focused thread btw? We arn't really talking Epcot specifics. I've talked to some of the people on the Carsland project and I can garantee that it's better then Testrack (which is actually a bit boring thematically, its fun but were it not for the rediculously long line I don't think it'd be repeatable)

As far as theming goes, Epcot sorta has an issue of breathing 80's. I mean it's a pretty enough park I suppose, but somehow it's looks outside the attractions arn't really that great. I go to it over MK because MK is such a shadow of other DL style parks and MGM studios is smaller and ugly. However after experiencing AK I can't help but feel that Epcot is kinda dated looks wise.

I'm not always sure what AK has over Epcot exactly (I'm ignoring the horridly inconsistant cement land that is future world) but it's enviornments are much more believable and it's areas tend to have more compleing offerings (comparing mostly AK to World Showcase since I know AK can't compare to Epcots overall stack of rides, but if it could get more time I don't doubt it's potential).

As far as third gates go for DL though it'd probably be better to go for a smaller scale DisneySea type park with some World's Showcase mixed into it. Futureworld is a dead duck for the most part so it's best to just leave it behind. The park would have to be more sedated then DisneySea though (more like future world) as it'd sit closer to houses and whatnot.

I'm kind of a Disney purist. I love the 80s feel of FutureWorld and I wish that it felt more like it did in the 80s. I so miss Horizons. You can tell how obsessed I am if you know where my forum name comes from. (It's not a dirty joke.)
    "Those who say that something can not be done, should not interrupt those who are doing it."- If anyone know who said this, please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by FutureProbeMe View Post
    I'm kind of a Disney purist. I love the 80s feel of FutureWorld and I wish that it felt more like it did in the 80s. I so miss Horizons. You can tell how obsessed I am if you know where my forum name comes from. (It's not a dirty joke.)
    well it's certainly fair for us to disagree, since I'd like the future to feel more like the future and less like 80's

but I will say I miss the whole unity and planned since that 80's Epcot had. I like how all the buildings each had a unique icon that fit in with their place to give the area at least some since of a master plan.

Presently I think that the Imagination building is painted in a HORRIBLE color scheme. Land looks alright and the forested feel is pretty nice. Sea is nice as well but each of these buildings is almost too unique and there's no real transition or since of connectedness between the three pavilions they're just sort of there.

The other side of Future World is even worse, you have Test Track looking pretty industrial, then Mission Space looking beautiful on the outside but more modern then any of it's surroundings, and worse of all is Energy sitting there with faded outdated colors and a building design that in no way fits with anything remotely near it.

Maybe if they did some planter work and brought back the icons the since of unity could be better. If Epcot needs anything it's a placemaking plan that reunites all the rides in future world (mostly exterior work) and something that can raise world showcase to AK level standards.

of course that could just be my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider View Post
    well it's certainly fair for us to disagree, since I'd like the future to feel more like the future and less like 80's
    I wouldn't say that we disagree since I am all for modernizing Epcot. I think most of my obsession with 80's EPCOT is not only that it was more unified back then, but that I was so young. I was born in October of 85' so when I talk about "EPCOT in the eighties" I am talking about 88' and 89'. I suppose that I feel like I missed out on a lot. I would take either. 80's or modern. Either way, much like you, I just want to see that unity again.
    "Those who say that something can not be done, should not interrupt those who are doing it."- If anyone know who said this, please let me know.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Yeah I'll probably be hated for this but I am AGAINST building clone copies of other Disney parks that already exist (with the exception of the Magic Kingdoms of course).

I think there should remain only one Epcot and only one DisneySea.

To build an Epcot park in California would take away the uniqueness potential of that entire resort (not that Disney actually cares about that but still). Each resort should have a uniqueness which would allow someone like me who has only been to WDW to want to visit other Disney resorts around the world.

Too bad they sucked the uniqueness out of DLRP by building a DHS copy.

• Banned User

No no and no.

Epcot is only great for World Showcase. Future world or whatever is a hopeless neverending, retro, outdated, Tomorrowland. Quite frankly I don't want have DL turn into WDW.

• Shubisha

I went to Epcot West all the time right across Harbor Blvd.

• Goofy

lol.

OMG the DCA bashing threads are now spilling over into the WDW forum!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Magic View Post
    OMG the DCA bashing threads are now spilling over into the WDW forum!
    I am surprised it took this long.

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    Yeah I'll probably be hated for this but I am AGAINST building clone copies of other Disney parks that already exist (with the exception of the Magic Kingdoms of course).

I think there should remain only one Epcot and only one DisneySea.

To build an Epcot park in California would take away the uniqueness potential of that entire resort (not that Disney actually cares about that but still). Each resort should have a uniqueness which would allow someone like me who has only been to WDW to want to visit other Disney resorts around the world.

Too bad they sucked the uniqueness out of DLRP by building a DHS copy.
    eehh, so much of worth at Epcot is already available at all other parks, DCA has Soarin and Nemo is pretty much the same between the DL and Epcot (well ride system is different but what you see is pretty much the same stuff).

Test Track's ride system has been cloned numerous times (which is probably as close to a clone as Test Track will get because its theme only makes since with the GM sponsorship and while it's a fun ride the theme is rather bland)

I guess ultimatly it's the world showcase that sells it but I'm more a ride person myself.

Most of the Hollywood studios park has been cloned into DCA as well, I also wouldn't call WDSP a clone of DSH. I mean DSH is pretty and well built compared to WDSP and WDSP is clearly not an exact clone by any means.

I could probably think of more cloning examples but I'm feeling lazy, only TDS and AK stand out to me as truly unique parks at least ride wise. But then again Dinosoar is loosly based off Indy (and Grr loosely based on Kali) and TDS is getting nothing but clones for its ride additions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast