Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    26

    Would DHS be better as a pavilion at epcot than a theme park?

    Would DHS been better as a pavilion at epcot than a theme park? Because it's more of a half day park then a full day?

  2. #2

    • Indy's Girl
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    59

    Re: Would DHS be better as a pavilion at epcot than a theme park?

    Quote Originally Posted by lakersboy92 View Post
    Because it's more of a half day park then a full day?
    That's a matter of opinion. I have spent all day there before and then went back again during the same trip.

    So, the answer is no. Could some things be improved? Yes. But I can't imagine SWW at Epcot.

    And I think that DHS is the current punching bag (and I agree with a lot of the complaints - don't get me wrong), but it did get a lot of things right. I love the Sunset Blvd. area as well as Star Tours and the Streets of America. I love the park during Christmas as well.

    There's no way you could possibly fit ToT, RnR, Muppets, Star Tours, etc. and have them make sense at Epcot. First, there wouldn't be enough space. Second, it just would be....odd.

  3. #3

    • Married and happy again!!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Hershey Pa, aka Chocolatetown USA
    Posts
    4,325

    Re: Would DHS be better as a pavilion at epcot than a theme park?

    For me at least I would say no. Reason being it does not fit the theme of Epcot at all. I mean where would you put it? It's not a foreign country so it doesn't belong in World Showcase and it's not something that is really educational like Future World is intended to be ( I know to some extent that message has been muddled over the years). DHS or (MGM as it was at the start) while it did have some educational value when it started. It was still primarly ment to celebrate Hollywood (the way Hollywood never was and always will be). So while it may be a half day park to some (not everyone does it in half a day though I'm sure many here do) it needs to be a park. I will say it sould have been laid out better from the start. I know that the park had a lot diffrent purpose at the start including the fact that it was a working studio to some degree. But still they needed to designe it so that growth that whether they thought it might expand or not would be more feasible than what happened.
    Micechatter #5053 Looking for our new home in the WDW area! We need to get closer to our "Laughing Place"!























  4. #4

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,611

    Re: Would DHS be better as a pavilion at epcot than a theme park?

    No, but DHS would have been significantly better with greater attention to theme and realisation of the abandoned rides and lands of the "Disney Decade" - Maroon Studios, Dick Tracy, Muppet Studios, Indy ride, expanded Backlot Tour, unrealised elements of Sunset Blvd, etc. However...if those don't happen...then at least they can add new lands with thematic immersion instead of soundstage buildings with rides shoehorned into them.
    Down with the Hat


  5. #5

    • Waiting for my E-Ticket
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota
    Posts
    19,609

    Re: Would DHS be better as a pavilion at epcot than a theme park?

    No. As Jessicalover said, it doesn't fit the theme of EPCOT at all.

  6. #6

    • I'm Theme Park Happy!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,565

    Re: Would DHS be better as a pavilion at epcot than a theme park?

    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJane View Post
    That's a matter of opinion. I have spent all day there before and then went back again during the same trip.
    I agree. On my next trip we are setting aside 2 full long days at Epcot. We are going to explore every inch and watch as many live shows and see as much as possible, minus the tours.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com



  7. #7

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,611

    Re: Would DHS be better as a pavilion at epcot than a theme park?

    Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    No. As Jessicalover said, it doesn't fit the theme of EPCOT at all.
    He may have been referring to the fact that the Great Movie Ride was originally conceived as a pavilion for Epcot...which would have gone between the Imagination and Land pavilions (see the concept art out in the net if interested...honestly it's not that inspired). Later on this idea got taken and expanded into the theme for a whole park.

    As long as we're talking about condensing parks into pavilions...how about condensing quite a few threads into one thread called "The many questions of Lakersboy 92 aka Disneyboy92"
    Down with the Hat


  8. #8

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    OHIO
    Posts
    154

    Re: Would DHS be better as a pavilion at epcot than a theme park?

    If Disney would go back to the original idea of DHS that of a "working studio" as well as updated certain rides and attractions (Star Tours, MuppetVision 3D, Great Movie Ride) Then Yes it would be a fantastic park. It would never work within the concept of Epcot.

    I don't see any reason why Disney Channel orginal movies or series can't be filmed at studios as well as making a better effort to incorporate the movie-making aspect into the park.

    I never understood why Disney didn't film "fake" movies during the duration of the day and incorprate guests into the filming of the movie and then sell DVD's of the finished movies at gift shops around the park. Who wouldn't buy a DVD of themselves inside a movie at Studios? These little things would improve the park and help get the park back to it's original concept.

  9. #9

    • Indy's Girl
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    59

    Re: Would DHS be better as a pavilion at epcot than a theme park?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete's Dragon View Post
    I never understood why Disney didn't film "fake" movies during the duration of the day and incorprate guests into the filming of the movie and then sell DVD's of the finished movies at gift shops around the park. Who wouldn't buy a DVD of themselves inside a movie at Studios? These little things would improve the park and help get the park back to it's original concept.
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but when MGM first opened, did they not offer tapes for those who participated in the Superstar Television show? I swear I remember that and my Mother also remembered it, but later, we know they definitely weren't doing it (near the end of ST's run). So I'm not sure if I dreamt it or what.

  10. #10

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    524

    Re: Would DHS be better as a pavilion at epcot than a theme park?

    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJane View Post
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but when MGM first opened, did they not offer tapes for those who participated in the Superstar Television show? I swear I remember that and my Mother also remembered it, but later, we know they definitely weren't doing it (near the end of ST's run). So I'm not sure if I dreamt it or what.
    Its possible. Universal also did something like this when it opened, where you could be in a Star Trek episode or on your own "day in the park adventure"...but it's all loooong gone.

  11. #11

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles & Orange County
    Posts
    21,345

    Re: Would DHS be better as a pavilion at epcot than a theme park?

    Everyone's said it. It doesn't work in Epcot.


    And another problem is that DHS is no longer a working studio. Everyone who knows me long enough knows how much I HATE the very idea of a Studio / Backlot as a theme.

    What do you like best about DHS? Is it the old Hollywood feel of Sunset & Hollywood Blvd? It's the two great E-Ticket attractions there? and of course there's a few good eateries and solid rides.

    But... does anyone actually like the feel of a backlot? The theme of a backlot is like a theme of a seaside pier. There's no REAL charm or magic there. It is what it is.

    I love Sci-Fi Dine In... the outside of it reeks.

    I love Star Tours.. but why do we see Endor before we get there in the attraction itself? And why do we exit into Tatooine? The whole fantasy of doing a REAL star wars adventure is ruined because nothing on a movie set is for real.

    A movie studio theme is an excuse for lazy imagineering. "What's the outside going to look like?" "Oh, just put it in a sound stage."


    So the answer is no, it wouldn't work at Epcot.


    Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

    Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

  12. #12

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1

    Re: Would DHS be better as a pavilion at epcot than a theme park?

    No way it works in Epcot as everyone has pointed out. Personally, I like DHS. Yes, it definitely could have been better planned with the Indy ride being included and additions of imagineering such as Maroon Studios. However, I have spent a full day there on many occasions. I do like the food choices, people watching on Sunset and Mickey Ave and hitting all the shows. I think it's much better than DCA, which I have never been able to spend a full day in.

    Bad planning hurt both these parks.

  13. #13

    • Indy's Girl
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    59

    Re: Would DHS be better as a pavilion at epcot than a theme park?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisFL View Post
    Its possible. Universal also did something like this when it opened, where you could be in a Star Trek episode or on your own "day in the park adventure"...but it's all loooong gone.
    Oh yeah! I completely remember that! I hadn't thought about it in years. I think I may have some old brochures even that have it featured. No idea where they are now, but I do remember them.

  14. #14

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    OHIO
    Posts
    154

    Re: Would DHS be better as a pavilion at epcot than a theme park?

    Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Everyone's said it. It doesn't work in Epcot.


    And another problem is that DHS is no longer a working studio. Everyone who knows me long enough knows how much I HATE the very idea of a Studio / Backlot as a theme.

    What do you like best about DHS? Is it the old Hollywood feel of Sunset & Hollywood Blvd? It's the two great E-Ticket attractions there? and of course there's a few good eateries and solid rides.

    But... does anyone actually like the feel of a backlot? The theme of a backlot is like a theme of a seaside pier. There's no REAL charm or magic there. It is what it is.

    I love Sci-Fi Dine In... the outside of it reeks.

    I love Star Tours.. but why do we see Endor before we get there in the attraction itself? And why do we exit into Tatooine? The whole fantasy of doing a REAL star wars adventure is ruined because nothing on a movie set is for real.

    A movie studio theme is an excuse for lazy imagineering. "What's the outside going to look like?" "Oh, just put it in a sound stage."


    So the answer is no, it wouldn't work at Epcot.
    I disagree, I think the idea of a working studio which individuals can interact with and enjoy has appeal. The problem has been that Disney has delved away from this concept. I think people are fascinated by the movie industry and the movie making process, but because of a lack of creativity (or cheapness) by Disney they have neglected to cultivate this great idea. It's a shame to because Studios has so much potential.

  15. #15

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles & Orange County
    Posts
    21,345

    Re: Would DHS be better as a pavilion at epcot than a theme park?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete's Dragon View Post
    I disagree, I think the idea of a working studio which individuals can interact with and enjoy has appeal. The problem has been that Disney has delved away from this concept. I think people are fascinated by the movie industry and the movie making process, but because of a lack of creativity (or cheapness) by Disney they have neglected to cultivate this great idea. It's a shame to because Studios has so much potential.
    The park has so much potential. Not the studios concept. Especially now that the animation studio is completely gone and that Tram tour has pretty much run its course right?

    Universal Studios Orlando: not a real movie studio. The result is basically a park with any ride any where without a theme to tie it all together. "Oh, it's entertainment related" so that's why they're there. That's why Men in Black is right next to The Simpsons.

    In Universal Hollywood you have Jurassic Park across from Mummy which is down the way from an I Love Lucy exhibit... but at least it's still a real working movie studio.

    When they built Islands of Adventure, they got smart. They picked themed lands for each territory and gave guests an incredible environment to enjoy.


    I think at DHS a land can certainly be devoted to a Working Studio type environment where guests can learn about the movie going experience but the flat backdrops, rows of sound stages and empty facades can only take you so far. I don't want to go on a Star Tours on a movie set. I want to go to the real thing. And at Disneyland, Tokyo, and France, they do just that.


    There's a reason why the Disneyland model works so well. They provide environments that do not exist anywhere else. The studio is a place where thousands work in and it's very much real. Real FAKE! And there's nothing attractive about a sound stage. DHS has so much potential, but relying on the backlot idea will only get them nowhere.


    Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

    Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Krusty the Clown's theme park within a theme park
    By Ride Warrior in forum Other Destinations
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-09-2008, 02:20 PM
  2. I View WDW As Everyone's Theme Park, Not Just Your Theme Park...
    By Micoofy Duck in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-22-2007, 04:59 AM
  3. HK Ocean Park vs Disney Theme Park in Mainland China ??
    By HongKongDisneyland in forum Hong Kong Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-18-2006, 10:23 PM
  4. Third Theme Park Theme: Mythology
    By Barbossa in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-03-2005, 03:42 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •