Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    • Indy's Girl
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    59

    Audience Participation in Parades and Shows. Yay or Nay.

    My first topic!

    Seriously though, it seems since WDW's 25th celebration, I see a constant stream of parades and shows that seem to rely heavily on audience participation. I'm not talking about "scream when I say scream" or things like Turtle Talk With Crush which actually is somewhat interesting when the unexpected happens.

    I'm talking about dragging families out into the avenues and expecting others to enjoy watching some random family march through the street.

    I, personally, find them to be low rent. I was pulled into the 25th years ago and it was a waste. A bunch of people marching around in a circle while some poor CM told everyone to smile and act happy.

    Am I the only one tired of seeing these types of parades/events?

  2. #2

    • Beach Expert
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after
    Posts
    10,593

    Re: Audience Participation in Parades and Shows. Yay or Nay.

    Great first post!

    These types of shows are becoming somewhat more common at the DLR these days too, just so you know.

    I agree with you 100%. In general I don't care for audience participation shows -- Disney or not. If I want to be in a show I'll audition specifically to be in it. Sometimes I just want to watch a show and not participate.

  3. #3

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    1116 Lowndes Hill Park Road Bakersfield
    Posts
    251

    Re: Audience Participation in Parades and Shows. Yay or Nay.

    yes i agree with you to both.. sometimes participating people tend to wonder off.. or not to follow instructions at all thus making it not a parade at all.. i want the old times..
    just do what you think...

  4. #4

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles & Orange County
    Posts
    21,346

    Re: Audience Participation in Parades and Shows. Yay or Nay.

    We need a poll on this sucker! moderators, hop on it!


    I vote NAY, but it depends.

    In instances like Indy Stunt Show, audience participation can make it fun for all and also adds moments of surprise for those who have seen it before. Attractions like Monsters Inc and Turtle Talk requires it. And that's okay.

    But parades that want people to just get up and dance, I really don't want to see that at all.


    Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

    Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

  5. #5

    • Indy's Girl
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    59

    Re: Audience Participation in Parades and Shows. Yay or Nay.

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Great first post!

    These types of shows are becoming somewhat more common at the DLR these days too, just so you know.

    I agree with you 100%. In general I don't care for audience participation shows -- Disney or not. If I want to be in a show I'll audition specifically to be in it. Sometimes I just want to watch a show and not participate.
    Thanks!

    I had heard about the Celebrate parade before going to DL recently and avoided it. I'm no longer into the parades like I once was (with the exception of the MNSSP parade which is what I wish ALL the parades were like and Spectro to some degree), but if I had heard good things about the parade, I would have made it a point to try and see some of it.

    And yup. That's my point exactly. I pay to see seasoned performers and quality entertainment. Not Uncle Bob and his nephew Zed hootin' and hollerin' up Main Street U.S.A.

    Quote Originally Posted by whitealexander View Post
    yes i agree with you to both.. sometimes participating people tend to wonder off.. or not to follow instructions at all thus making it not a parade at all.. i want the old times..
    Participating people can also be self conscious (I am, after all) unlike entertainers who know how to work up a crowd and get into the role. Leave it to the experts, I say.

    As a child, I remember seeing the July 4th parade in the 80s. I want to say it was called Celebrate America or something along those lines with scarecrows dancing and the like. That was an awesome parade. (HINT HINT DISNEY)

    (I just looked it up. It was a parade celebrating the Bicentennial of the US Constitution. Not July 4th.)

  6. #6

    • Indy's Girl
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    59

    Re: Audience Participation in Parades and Shows. Yay or Nay.

    Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    We need a poll on this sucker! moderators, hop on it!


    I vote NAY, but it depends.

    In instances like Indy Stunt Show, audience participation can make it fun for all and also adds moments of surprise for those who have seen it before. Attractions like Monsters Inc and Turtle Talk requires it. And that's okay.

    But parades that want people to just get up and dance, I really don't want to see that at all.
    Ack! Do we have the ability to add a poll form? It didn't even occur to me. *face palm*

    And you're right about Indy. That and the others like TT and MILF (hate that abbreviation!) need it, but since they're so well designed around it, it doesn't detract from the show.

    I think it's also an issue of control. In all three of those instances, the participants are given very little to do or, at the very least, are given specific instructions.

    Universal Studios in Orlando also started asking people to help carry the balloons during their Macy's parade. Most of the people doing the pulling of the strings looked bored out of their minds.

  7. #7

    • I'm Theme Park Happy!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,565

    Re: Audience Participation in Parades and Shows. Yay or Nay.

    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJane View Post
    My first topic!

    Seriously though, it seems since WDW's 25th celebration, I see a constant stream of parades and shows that seem to rely heavily on audience participation. I'm not talking about "scream when I say scream" or things like Turtle Talk With Crush which actually is somewhat interesting when the unexpected happens.

    I'm talking about dragging families out into the avenues and expecting others to enjoy watching some random family march through the street.

    I, personally, find them to be low rent. I was pulled into the 25th years ago and it was a waste. A bunch of people marching around in a circle while some poor CM told everyone to smile and act happy.

    Am I the only one tired of seeing these types of parades/events?
    Congraulations.

    I vote yay! People sometimes get a once in a lifetime trip to the parks and if they are lucky enough to get called up and asked to participate in something they've never done before, like being in parade/show/etc, well then I'm all for making random people happy.

    If I were ever picked to be brought up on stage I'd offer it to a random family next to me as I've had the chance to go to the parks on more than one occasion.

    Whatever makes the crowds happy. Audience participation of any kind at the theme parks make them happy.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com



  8. #8

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles & Orange County
    Posts
    21,346

    Re: Audience Participation in Parades and Shows. Yay or Nay.

    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJane View Post
    And you're right about Indy. That and the others like TT and MILF (hate that abbreviation!) need it, but since they're so well designed around it, it doesn't detract from the show.
    HAHA!


    But yes, if you are able to make a poll, perhaps you can also add the options of "liking participating in shows but not parades" and vice versa... or "liking both", "disliking both", etc etc.


    Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

    Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

  9. #9

    • Sock Puppet
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Tyler
    Posts
    140

    Re: Audience Participation in Parades and Shows. Yay or Nay.

    Nice point of view.

    A lot of people don't care on this type of thing and it seems that they just watch they see. It would be nice to have a choice.

  10. #10

    • Indy's Girl
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    59

    Re: Audience Participation in Parades and Shows. Yay or Nay.

    Quote Originally Posted by Micoofy Duck View Post
    Congraulations.

    I vote yay! People sometimes get a once in a lifetime trip to the parks and if they are lucky enough to get called up and asked to participate in something they've never done before, like being in parade/show/etc, well then I'm all for making random people happy.

    If I were ever picked to be brought up on stage I'd offer it to a random family next to me as I've had the chance to go to the parks on more than one occasion.

    Whatever makes the crowds happy. Audience participation of any kind at the theme parks make them happy.
    I don't know that's always true. I've heard many people groan or walk away when they see these types of things. You don't really see that many people watching that One and Only Genuine Original Family Band crap. I know it's not called that. I apologize ahead of your response.

    But for say maybe one or two families that go "Oh wow. We got picked for some random thing at WDW." theres way more that either feel like they've watched something they could have seen at a football game or at worst, feeling left out. Have you ever watched the faces of the kids that don't get picked for these things and obviously wanted to, but was a little too shy to wave like a banshee? It's a horrible face.

    But that's all beside the point. I'd much rather see a quality parade/show like old school WDW's parades or SpectroMagic. Something that dazzles and makes people say, "Wow! That's Disney!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    HAHA!


    But yes, if you are able to make a poll, perhaps you can also add the options of "liking participating in shows but not parades" and vice versa... or "liking both", "disliking both", etc etc.
    Bah. I went back and tried to edit and it's not having it.

    Quote Originally Posted by migy21 View Post
    Nice point of view.

    A lot of people don't care on this type of thing and it seems that they just watch they see. It would be nice to have a choice.
    Thanks!

    I think that's exactly it. They watch whatever's put in front of them and don't question the quality. Because Disney has become a rite of passage so they feel like they have to accept it because it's what Disney's giving them.

    One thing I hope comes out of IoA's Harry Potter addition is more people going to IoA and FORCING WDW to step up to the plate.

Similar Threads

  1. [Rumor] So they are getting rid of shows/parades and raising prices??!!
    By jane2073 in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 08-02-2008, 07:17 AM
  2. Not a fan of the parades or shows
    By Indiana Joe in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 10-10-2006, 09:52 PM
  3. Audience participation
    By Athlonacon in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-03-2006, 01:12 PM
  4. Christmas Shows/Parades and their Soundtracks
    By wishesfan in forum Tokyo Disney Resort
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-23-2005, 08:49 PM
  5. Some questions about past parades/ shows
    By DisneyMickey in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-17-2005, 10:04 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •