• Resident of the Caldera

Where's the WDW Fun in mid October?

Going to WDW in mid October with another couple and staying at Saratoga Springs (little other choice) in a two-bedroom. Don't much care for the place, but that's evidentally all you can get at this deceptively late date.
    Any suggestions for mid October stuff at the parks?
    Is it hot? Not?
    Lovebugs?
    Do you get to see the Halloween decorations and stuff if you don't pay the extra hundreds of dollars for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween MEGA GRAB into your wallet?
    It is too cool to swim? Or is it so hot that you feel like a frank on the grill (that August feeling) being pissed on by the clouds every day.
    I'd like to hear about some cool stuff we can do.

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Re: Where's the WDW Fun in mid October?

I've had 3 trips in the October/September season in the past few years and I can say that this one of the best times of the year to visit.

I have never remembered the parks being hot but more so comfortable temperatures, wearing shorts, flip flops, t-shirts without seating buckets.

Lovebugs are everywhere and they even creep into your rooms! I usually see them at the resorts, never at the parks though.

Yes Halloween decorations are up around Magic Kingdom but not really anywhere else. Of course you won't be able to see the MNSSHP stuff except for the fireworks from outside MK and at the resorts surrounding the park.

I've never been at the parks around this time of the year and not been inside MK during the party. I've always had to be in the parks for the party, this year I may do the party only once out of a week but I'm sure I'll give in and buy extra tickets for 2 nights this year. Anyone reading this, you can't do everything in one night at this party, you have to do 2 nights, just a tip of advice for those thinking about doing more than one night.

I've seen people swimming during October. There should be no worries if you want to relax in the pools.

As for Halloween cool stuff you would want to do... not so much stuff happening at the parks halloween related. You could travel off the map to Universal Studios for their halloween horror nights, that is if you want to fork over more money to another park.

I wish there was a halloween store like the Christmas store in Downtown Disney but there isn't.

I would have to ask again, what kind of "fun" stuff are you referring to. Halloween related or just in general? You'll have to be more specific around here.
    Last edited by Micoofy Duck; 05-09-2009 at 12:14 PM.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• Disneyholic

I think that's actually one of the best times to go, I love WDW in October.

It's not too hot, hurricane season should be over, but expect a few thunderstorms, Temperature can vary so keep an eye on the long term forecast before you go but I would say it'll be shorts and t-shirt weather with maybe a light jacket after dark.

Waterparks and Pools will be warm, they are all heated year round so no worries there, pack your swimsuit.

Food and Wine may still be runnig in Epcot, and I highly reccomend spending a day or two in Epcot to enjoy it. They have a lot of tasting sized portions of food and whine for sale from many contries including some not normally represented at Epcot.

The magic Kingdom will be decorated for MNSSHP and you will be able to see some of the decor during the day and nights when the party is not running. Personally I think the MNSSHP is worth the price and the best of the hard ticket events but the big thing to know is if you are not going to go to it you need to make sure you plan your day in annother park as the MK will close early those nights.

Lovebugs are not that big of a deal, you will see them around some of the resorts especially ft Wilderness and Wilderness lodge but not around the theme parks and such.

Other than that it's pretty much the same as any other time at WDW.
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Jerren View Post
    It's not too hot, hurricane season should be over,
    Nope. Hurricane season is from June 1st through November 30th.

• Disappearing/Reappearing

I agree with above. We've been twice in Oct. and loved it both times. It was a little cool in the mornings, but, I'm cold natured.

The Halloween decorations are really nice, but, I suggest trying the MNSSHP. We have been twice, and are looking forward to going this year. The park is less crowded...so you can walk right on to most rides. Plus, the parade is fantastic! It's our absolute favorite parade. We always make a point in catching it both times.

I hope you have a great vacation!

• Across From DL

Smile Re: Where's the WDW Fun in mid October?

Hey Fukai, I too will be in Walt Disney World mid October, it is a great time to visit the resort. Temps are mild and the pools are heated so you can swim. I also feel that you should pack a poncho with you just in case, sudden downpours are great but only if you are not caught in the middle

We too are staying at Sarasota Springs because we are DVC Members
    Last edited by CastMember 02; 05-08-2009 at 05:29 PM. Reason: add

"To All Who Come To This Happy Place Your Welcome!"

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchy View Post
    I agree with above. We've been twice in Oct. and loved it both times. It was a little cool in the mornings, but, I'm cold natured.

The Halloween decorations are really nice, but, I suggest trying the MNSSHP. We have been twice, and are looking forward to going this year. The park is less crowded...so you can walk right on to most rides. Plus, the parade is fantastic! It's our absolute favorite parade. We always make a point in catching it both times.

I hope you have a great vacation!
    And the FIREWORKS! The halloween FIREWORKS! AAAAAmazing!
    Micoofy Duck

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Nope. Hurricane season is from June 1st through November 30th.
    Dang it!

Yeah CNN is reporting the Atlantic Hurricane season runs through November 30th.

At least last year the hurricanes stopped on November 10th.
    Micoofy Duck

• Defying gravity

Quote Originally Posted by Fukai View Post
    Going to WDW in mid October with another couple and staying at Saratoga Springs (little other choice) in a two-bedroom. Don't much care for the place, but that's evidentally all you can get at this deceptively late date.
    So many DVC members have the attitude that SSR is "slumming" it. While you don't have the theme park proximity that you get at BWV, BCV, etc. the resort has its own charms. I would recommend getting a DtD view in Congress Park.

• Minion

Food and Wine Festival and MNSSHP! October is my favorite time to go. I'm so bummed I'm missing Food and Wine this year.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Fukai View Post
    Any suggestions for mid October stuff at the parks?
    Is it hot? Not?
    Lovebugs?
    Do you get to see the Halloween decorations and stuff if you don't pay the extra hundreds of dollars for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween MEGA GRAB into your wallet?
    It is too cool to swim? Or is it so hot that you feel like a frank on the grill (that August feeling) being pissed on by the clouds every day.
    I'd like to hear about some cool stuff we can do.
    Do what some people do so well... stay after the park has closed and enjoy the Halloween party for free.
    Personally, I would skip WDW and go to DLR instead.

• Disappearing/Reappearing

Quote Originally Posted by Micoofy Duck View Post
    And the FIREWORKS! The halloween FIREWORKS! AAAAAmazing!
    The fireworks are nice. But, I'm not too keen on the music. A little too "pop" for my taste. But, just try to get that "Boo to you" song outta your head! Great. There it goes again.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Do what some people do so well... stay after the park has closed and enjoy the Halloween party for free.
    Personally, I would skip WDW and go to DLR instead.
    um....isn't that against the rules? I mean...you DO get wristbands that let you stay for the party.

Do the park stay open late in October? Sounds like a good time to go. My biggest problem is that I'm on the West Coast and we would like to stay up later at the parks rather than going in early. Thx!

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

I don't remember the parks staying open late during october. The only place where you can stay late inside the park is Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party or Magic Kingdom on a partyless night during Extra Magic Hours.

Usually the MK stays open on weekdays Mon-Thurs up until 8 pm. If EMH kick in you'll be there until 11pm, 12 midnight if you stick around Main Street and shop.

On weekends the park usually closes around 10 or 11pm. if EMH kick in on weekend nights then you're there until 1 am, give or take.

Epcot's World Showcase closes usually around 9 pm daily during October and if EMH kick in well then you'll be there until about midnight.

Everything else closes pretty early. HS closing usually about 8 or 9 pm while AK closes 5 or 6 pm nightly. I still have yet to do AK after hours and may this time around on my next trip. Animal Kingdom at night is something I've never seen.
    Micoofy Duck