• World Traveler

Trouble ordering merchandise from WDW

My partner and I have been trying to purchase an Olszewski Cinderella Castle model over the phone and it's been so difficult. First, we called Merchandise Guest Services. They don't sell art, so we were told to call the Art of Disney at Downtown Disney. We had seen the model here on our February visit. The Art of Disney castmember said they had run out, but they were expecting another shipment in a few days. We called that day and, still there were no castles to be found. This happened about three times until one castmember suggested we call the other Art of Disney stores. Epcot didn't have it, Animal Kingdom didn't carry it. Finally, we were given the number to the King's Gallery store at the Magic Kingdom. Sure - they had plenty. (Why didn't they tell us to call here in the first place?)

We ordered it last Friday morning, and we were told we could call back on Monday to get a shipping tracking number. First, they couldn't find our order, then they gave us a seven digit tracking number - too short for Fedex or UPS. After speaking with another castmember, she still could not give me a shipper tracking number.

It seems amazing to me that WDW does not have a central computer database to tell them what each stores inventory is.

In any case, we're still waiting for the castle to be delivered.

Does anyone have any suggestions or similar stories?

Thanks!

• Minion

Re: Trouble ordering merchandise from WDW

ORDDU: This just goes to show how little all your so-called 'modern' conveniences don't work so well--if you don't mind what a witch has to say, ducklings. Why, I can't begin to tell you how many times my sisters and I have been equally amazed at the lack of communication between cast members--who's job it is to know better--in regard to various merchandise items. Even when you're standing right in FRONT of them, they often have no clue or any inclination to pick up one of those things you call 'telephones' and make the appropriate call to find out what you're requesting!

ORWEN: I nearly lost my temper with a cast member a few weeks ago--which is something I almost NEVER do--when I asked her about an item. She stood there as though she couldn't have cared less that I wanted it and acted like I was crazy for even asking about something! Then she lazily shrugged her shoulders and started to turn away from me as if her body language was saying, "Get LOST, witch!"

ORGOCH: Well, ya cain't go blamin' her fer THAT! Heck! I says that a lot ta ya, my OWN dang self!

ORDDU: The point IS, the company has become so big it's losing track of itself. And the cast members who are truly willing to do what it takes to track a particular piece of merchandise down are few and far between.

ORGOCH: Then fergit about it! That's what I say!! How many more dang souvenirs does a couple a looney sister witches need, anyway?! 'Specially in Morva--where they ain't even invented 'lectricity, yet! Still, the way yerself and stupid ol' Orwen goes' round buyin' up all them light up 'snow globs' 'n 'lectric train sets is beyond ME!!!

• Banned User

That castle is gorgeous. I wish I could afford to buy one for my collection at this time but gotta save my pennies for our TDR/ HKDL trip in Nov.

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva
    ORDDU: The point IS, the company has become so big it's losing track of itself.
    OK. I'm gonna cheat and take this a bit out of merchandise context because it so sums up what's gone wrong at WDW in the past 5-10 years in just about any/every aspect.

• Minion

ORDDU: My sisters and I couldn't agree with you MORE, WDW1974, duckling. We've been singing this same song--for some time--about how this same problem is running rampant throughout the Disney Company--whether we're talking about merchandising, attractions, motion pictures, etc.

ORGOCH: Ol' Mickey Ei$ner's trickle down effect at work. That's what I says!!

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    OK. I'm gonna cheat and take this a bit out of merchandise context because it so sums up what's gone wrong at WDW in the past 5-10 years in just about any/every aspect.
    '74, I've sure been thinking about you a lot this evening, my first full day at WDW since 2003 - I was in total shock at the maintenance issues in Tomorrowland, and this was in total darkness (as you know the land is quite dark at night). I won't list them all because I know you already know them.

Mikelan, If you have no luck I'd be happy to get the damn castle for you since I'm here. Just send a pvt if you need assistance; I know which one you want since I collect the whole DL line of those.

• World Traveler

Thanks guys! Here's an update. The box arrived yesterday morning. Oddly enough, the salesperson at the King's Gallery at the Magic Kingdom called me again afterwards to tell me that the seven digit number was the only number they provide. It was as if she did not know what a FEDEX tracking number meant. I then spoke to a supervisor, who after about an hour called me back to tell me that it had been delivered (I was at work).

I just don't understand why they can't get the FEDEX tracking number.

BTW - The Olszweski castle is GORGEOUS!

TDLFAN - Will you be at Disneyland this weekend? My partner and I will be there.

Spectro - Thanks for the offer to buy it for us. Do you know when the other pieces are coming out? Will you be collecting both sets?

• Quality not quantity

Quote Originally Posted by mikelan6
    Does anyone have any suggestions or similar stories?

Thanks!
    Other than some longish hold time, DeliverEars has been very efficient at getting me several of these little beauties.

You can also try Disney Direct but their prices seem a bit higher

When you do get the castle be sure to check it over carefully. Several people have complained about broken flags on towers as well as lights that don't work.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

• Banned User

Mikelan6, I won't be at Disney this weekend. Gotta go to work for a few days now...

Quote Originally Posted by SpectroMan
    '74, I've sure been thinking about you a lot this evening, my first full day at WDW since 2003 - I was in total shock at the maintenance issues in Tomorrowland, and this was in total darkness (as you know the land is quite dark at night). I won't list them all because I know you already know them.
    I wish I weren't right about the state of affairs in the MK, but I know I am.
    Even if you don't look for the problems, you'll find them. The upkeep in that park is abysmal. Too bad Al Lutz coudn't start a promoto Al Weiss campaign ... or at least a Promote Phil Holmes site, because this guy has to go. He supposedly began his career on the Haunted Mansion, so maybe he could ride it and explain why the scrims haven't been replaced in years, why the doors look like they belong in a haunted house at Six Flags and why the soundtrack in the cemetary hasn't worked right in years!

Not that things were much better when Erin Wallace was running the park and now she's a Sr. VP that Holmes reports to.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    Mikelan6, I won't be at Disney this weekend. Gotta go to work for a few days now...
    WorK? HAH? Does that mean Tokyo, Hong Kong or Paris this week? (or, god forbid, Amsterdam) ;-)

BTW, you gonna be around from from 10/19-10/23?