• Former Epcot CM

Red Face Fantasmic idea brainstorm and general WDW questions

Just various ideas to vary the Fantasmic experience...

* An extra evil Fantasmic at Halloween.
    * 'Mickey's Fantasmic Christmas!' overlay?
    * Fantasmic: Ursula's Revenge - a more of a water based show, things rising from the water etc., either a completely new Fantasmic show or a seasonal overlay but I can't think of a season to match it

Has anyone heard anymore on the plans to open Typhoon Lagoon at night? It was built with night lighting, but they were never utilised after park execs weren't too impressed with the park's popularity. Apparently the lights might make a come back - how cool would TL be at night?

Downtown Disney fireworks should be cool, but don't they have a New Years Eve celebration every night at PI anyway?

Nothing to do with WDW, but Fantasmic would be cool ported to the Studios in Paris, with major changes though to vary the experience.

Sorry, just a few things to get off my chest.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Disney Memory Maker

Re: Fantasmic idea brainstorm and general WDW questions

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway
    Has anyone heard anymore on the plans to open Typhoon Lagoon at night? It was built with night lighting, but they were never utilised after park execs weren't too impressed with the park's popularity. Apparently the lights might make a come back - how cool would TL be at night?
    Tyhpoon Lagoon does have Evening Extra Magic Hours now, so it is open until 9pm for September and 8pm for the 2 following months (on certain days).

As for fantasmic, the halloween & xmas overlays sound like they would be a good idea (although, I go in the summer, so I wouldn't see either). I know a lot of people don't like parts of DMGM's Fantasmic, but I love the whole thing (the water effects, the Pocahontas scene, the ending, etc).

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Banned User

Let TDR's OLC retool MGM's Fantasmic! since they always do overlays on their popular shows for the holidays... Personally, I don't think anyone at WDW is interested in spending money to create and pay for some of the ultra-cool ideas you gave us in the original post up above. Or else, bring DL's show as is to MGM, althought that idea was killed from the beginning. Furthermore, the Pocahontas and longer water movie scenes if what kills the MGM version for me, and the finale, while pretty, does not have the punch that DL's finale has with the real Mark Twain coming around the river bend, loaded with characters.
    Last edited by TDLFAN; 09-27-2005 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    As for fantasmic, the halloween & xmas overlays sound like they would be a good idea (although, I go in the summer, so I wouldn't see either). I know a lot of people don't like parts of DMGM's Fantasmic, but I love the whole thing (the water effects, the Pocahontas scene, the ending, etc).

-Michael
    Have you seen the DL version?

• Disney Memory Maker

Just in video form.

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Banned User

Well..That^^^ explains a lot! NOTHING beats DL's Fantasmic! seen live! The action is so close, you feel more immersed into it. Nothing beats looking up at the Columbia and seeing Peter and Hook sword fight basically over your head!

• Disney Memory Maker

Okay...
    A) I'm not judging WDW's fantasmic from DL's fantasmic. They are two seperate shows and should be treated as such.
    and
    B) Just because you like it more does not make it better
    and
    C) To me, nothing beats seeing Mickey on top of the mountain at the end. It is so magical.

-Michael

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    Okay...
    A) I'm not judging WDW's fantasmic from DL's fantasmic. They are two seperate shows and should be treated as such.
    and
    B) Just because you like it more does not make it better
    and
    C) To me, nothing beats seeing Mickey on top of the mountain at the end. It is so magical.

-Michael
    There's nothing wrong at all with comparing the same show performed differently at two parks.

And, no, just because anyone likes it does not make it better.

But go to DL. See it. And then let us know what you think.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Having seen both, I agree with TDLFAN. The Mark Twain, fewer movie scenes, and the Peter Pan instead of Pocahontas scene really makes a world of difference. Not to say the MGM one is bad, but you really need to see the DL one at least once in a lifetime...which is all I've seen it. And the worst part is, I saw that one first.

Also, there's something about having it on Tom Sawyer's Island that not only makes it more intimate, it also makes it more special because of the transformation the siland makes from morning to night. It's amazing what they do where guests were playing just hours before.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Minion

I had a proposed idea for a "Tis The Season Fantasmic!" (name thanks to somebody else) posted in the DL thread a while back. I think it could be great.

Edit: Here's the first half of my idea. It was sort of a collaboration btwn me and Aura of Foreboding. It was meant to be the DL version, so it's slightly different (has Peter Pan and the Columbia). This is only the first half, I was typing up the second half and almost done when my computer quit on me. I did not have the patience to retype it all, so I never finshed it.

"Tis the Season Fantasmic!"
    The show opens with a woman's voice, as she says "Twas the Night before Christmas and all through the house not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse... But inside his head little Mickey did see visions fantastic of the holiday yet to be..."
    That first, long note plays, as sounds of sleigh bells are heard. The show then progresses as usual, but the dancing fountains are red and green, and then blue and white at one point.
    The show remains unchanged until after the Sorcerer's Apprentice part. After Mickey crashes the comets together, rather than twinkling down and becoming flowers on the screen, the sparkles become snowflakes, twirling and dancing. On the stage, snowflake dancers spin gracefully. Snow falls over the crowd. This is during the usual music, the "See it in your mind, and you can find, in your imagination, mysteries and magic, visions fantastic, leading to strange and wondrous dreams..." part. This beautiful snowy section would continue for the rest of the instrumental part that follows.
    Then, when the music usually goes to the jungle-y part, we hear instead an instrumental version of "What's This?" from NBC. As Jack discovers Christmasland on the screen, the snowflake dancers go into a much faster dance on the stage, as Xmas lights go on all over the island, and flicker with the music. The music reaches a crescendo with the "this looks like fun, this looks like fun, oh could it be I've found my wish. WHAT IS THIS!" part (instrumental) and suddenly all the lights go dark, as do the screens. We see Mickey's eyes on the screens, as he says "Hey, where'd everybody go?" just like normal.
    The columbia (decked out for the holidays) fires her cannon, and the regular Peter Pan section happens, although Peter would be wearing a Santa hat, and the banter between him and Hook would be changed to something more along the lines of "Merry Christmas you codfish! (laughs) And a happy New Year!" "Oh it will be, Pan, when I finally capture you." and so on...
    The princess section follows, just like normal, although their floats will look xmas-y, and they will be wearing winter clothes (with the exception of Ariel). Rather then fading into the more ominous evil queen part, the music would then fade into some mechanical noises, as Pinoc and pals get the presents ready in Santa's Workshop, to the songs "I've got no strings" and "Jingle Bells" woven together. As they finish, they place the presents in a ring in the center of the island and leave.
    "Jingle Bells" fades into "Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer" as Mickey and pals (in christmas garb") enter and gather round the presents. A tree suddenly rises in the center of the ring (think DCA's LuminAria), as they dance around it, decorating it. They dance off, as "Rudolph" slows ominously and stops, as the Wicked Queen enters. She gazes at the tree in disgust as...

What do you think?
    Last edited by grvtydefy; 09-27-2005 at 07:50 PM.

• On Autopilot

as what?! you didn't finish the story!

But it's great so far!

Things that I think should change...

DL- Monstro n' Pinoc scenes.. they just confused the heck out of us. And put in a few more baddies!

MGM - Replace the Pocahonta scene with something else PLEASE! It comes off as weird! And Spurce up the boat at the end so it doesn't look as plain =/