Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Why doesn't WDW sell alcohol in the Magic Kingdom

Last year we have been the first time to WDW and we recognized that they don't sell alcohol in the MK, but it is sold in the other parks.

So I wanted to know why they don't sell alcohol at the MK?

We have also been to DLRP several times and there they sell alcohol in the DL park. Although I've read somewhere that at first it wasn't sold there too.

I tried the search tool but I coulnd't find a good answer.

Thank you!!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Re: Why doesn't WDW sell alcohol in the Magic Kingdom

None of the American parks sell alcohol at the Magic Kingdoms. I believe, and I'm sure someone can correct me if I am wrong, is that Walt wanted to maintain the family atmosphere and integrity of the park.

I do know you can get alcohol at Club 33 at DL, but let's face it, if your at Club 33, you aren't there for the booze.

Blog Entries

Walt wanted his parks to be family oriented and alcohol didn't fit into that idea. My guess is that it has been maintained out of tradition more than anything.

• Disappearing/Reappearing

Yes, I would think it's because the MK is so family oriented. And I'm glad they don't sell alcohol there. I think it would spoil the theme of "child like fun" if you saw people walking around with yard long beers. Doesn't seem to fit in with the theming.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

It is basically Tradition.

Walt Disney did sell Alcohol at Disneyland. They had a picnic area where New Orleans Square is now called Holidayland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holidayland_(Disneyland)

And of course, when Walt Disney designed and opened Club 33, he made sure and had the option of Alcohol for its members and guests.

When EuroDisneyland first opened, there was no alcohol inside the parks, but the French were very upset they couldn't get their wine when they ate, so Disney changed the policy.
    Last edited by Darkbeer; 05-19-2009 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Typo - "Wlat"
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Thanks a lot for the answers.

I do understand that they are not selling alcohol at counterservice restaurants, but it would have been nice to get a glass of wine at a table service restaurant.

I don't drink alcohol at a counter service restaurant at DLRP either, but I've always enjoyed a glass of wine or beer at a table service restaurant.

I've lived for half a year in Ohio and I've realized that it isn't very common in the US to have alcohol with your meal at a restaurant, but maybe I'm wrong.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by Dagobert View Post

I've lived for half a year in Ohio and I've realized that it isn't very common in the US to have alcohol with your meal at a restaurant, but maybe I'm wrong.
    I think it depends on where you are eating or drinking for that matter.

If you mean low end places like fast food then no, I don't believe that will ever happen.

If you mean places like Applebees, Chili's, Olive Garden. Your typical copy and paste corporate restaurants, most have a full bar in them.

If you mean higher end restaurants, I don't believe there has been one that I've attended that didn't have a full service bar with a wine list rightly available.

I've only been through Ohio but maybe they have different rules regarding alcohol consumption in restaurants?

• Disappearing/Reappearing

You know, come to think of it....beer would fit the theme of the LIberty Tree Tavern and wine would fit the theme of Tony's. I'm surprised it isn't offered there.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    I think it depends on where you are eating or drinking for that matter.

If you mean low end places like fast food then no, I don't believe that will ever happen.
    Well, there are some locations, and some chains that do offer beer and/or wine.

This article talks about a few locations in Downtown LA that offer beer, including Carl's Jr. and a Subway.

blogdowntown: Fast Food and Beer

Chains like Rubio's and Wahoo's offer beer and wine.

Many Long John Silver's have offered beer for decades.

Of course, many Pizza locations offer Beer, Wine and sometimes cocktails.

I think that Disney is always looking to add alcohol. Disney recently applied for a new Liquor License for Disneyland, for their catering and private parties being held in the park.

And while I don't see Disney allowing the free roaming of alcohol like at DCA, I do see Disney thinking about adding the option at Blue Bayou and other Full Service locations.

What is the difference between having a Full Bar available for folks attending Goofy's Kitchen and interacting with the characters and having a Beer at Celebration Roundup BBQ?

I do find it interesting that over at Knott's and their Resort Hotel, Snoopy stops by and visits guests at the Amber Waves Restaurant, but he is not allowed into the bar area. So he stands at the edge and waves, and folks can walk over to him....

Back in the early 60's, the Monorail got a few nicknames, including the "Dad's Ride", or the Moonshine Express, as the Monorail Bar was JUST outside the Monorail Exit, no need to even walk downstairs. Stop and grab a drink or two, then head back to the park.

So there have been easy access to alcohol on Disneyland property since 1957. Walt Disney approved and had no problem with selling Alcohol, and making a profit by selling it.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • PEZZ in the Fez

Disney's California Adventure serves alcohol.

To the delight of some.

And to the horror of others...

• sticks7107

Quote Originally Posted by Dagobert View Post

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post

I've only been through Ohio but maybe they have different rules regarding alcohol consumption in restaurants?

Born and raised in Ohio. I serve in a restaurant now. On Sundays restaurants are prohibited from selling liquor until 1pm. Beer and wine are ok. Besides that there aren't many rules that would restrict or deter patrons from consuming.

I don't know how it is in other states regarding liquor licenses, but I do know the later into the evening you want to serve alcohol (midnight, 2am, 3am) the more expensive the license.

We also have very harsh dram shop laws.

Then again it might just be a cultural thing. Ohioans are hard working, usually manufacturing or agricultural, with some service industry thrown in the cities. They know they have to get up and work the next day, so have a beer while watching a game, but don't over indulge.

Hopefully this helps. haha
    Last edited by sticks7107; 05-19-2009 at 08:00 AM. Reason: double quote

• Progressive Disneylander

Personally, I'm happier that the Magic Kingdoms don't. I'm not real crazy about it being in most of the other Disney parks really, but those two parks specifically don't seem like the right places to serve alcohol. However, I do think it's fitting to have it in the World Showcase as guests have a unique chance to taste some of the beverages native to those various countries which is kinda cool.

• Occasional Reader

I thought it was somethign to do with the relationship between heavy drinking and seeing flying elephants!

• Banned User

This is one tradition that I am gald have stuck thru the years. We do not need drunk and obnoxious guests roaming the MK (or DL parks in the World.) BOO! to DLP.

• Occasional Reader

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    This is one tradition that I am gald have stuck thru the years. We do not need drunk and obnoxious guests roaming the MK (or DL parks in the World.) BOO! to DLP.
    Agreed...maybe this is why it has stuck around.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast