Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Magic Kingdom Tree Massacre

Thanks Randy for bringing this issue up. The current management at WDW continues to sleep in their laurels (no pun) and ignore what Walt taught us so many years ago.. in this case, I remember what Walt said about DL.. "the trees will grow and the park will look prettier.." This is the driving concept of HKDL and why their park in Lantau looks spectacular after only 3 yrs since it opened.
    The massacre of trees at the MK was simply deplorable. Goes against anything the current WDC preaches.. I have to frown everytime they preach Enviromentality at DAK and other areas of the resort. And I disagree with Summer (sorry dear) but there is a lot that we can do to effect change. Continue to offer your opinions at Guest Relations... about the lack of shade and beauty in the MK.. the more they hear about it, the more it will hopefully make them take notice.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume
    I don't think this is used as much in the Magic Kingdom at WDW than it is at DL.
    Actually it is. Besides, why is the foliage at DL and HKDL much more lush and appealing than the MK's and those parks are even smaller in design? So let's not be Disney apologists here. They screwed up when they took the trees out. The MK hub in particular looks awful.

I remember all the trees in Town Square and The Hub. You used to be able to sit in the middle of the Hub and feel like you were a million miles from anywhere because of the large trees and shrubbery. Town Square used to feel "quaint". Now it feels as barren as a Walmart parking lot.

Instead of pulling out trees and removing the "off the beaten track" areas to make room for more of the masses, how about adding 3 or 4 more "people eating" E Tickets and a couple more dark rides in FL. The busiest theme park in the world should be adding more capacity (and maybe getting rid of FastPass) to get the mobs off the streets. Not removing the trees and charm (or what little there is left).

^Agree completely with Steve and TDLFan.

For anyone who fondly remembers (or would like to see more of) those great trees of the Magic Kingdom, treat yourself to "The Gardens of Walt Disney World": a sad, but beautiful time capsule:
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Gardens-Walt-Disney-World-Resort/dp/B00071OS7I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1243910926&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Gardens of the Walt Disney World Resort: A photographic tour of the themed gardens of the Magic Kingdom, Epcot Center and other resort areas: Dee Hansford, Katy Moss Warner, Tom Underwood, Gene Duncan: Books[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post
    ^Agree completely with Steve and TDLFan.

For anyone who fondly remembers (or would like to see more of) those great trees of the Magic Kingdom, treat yourself to "The Gardens of Walt Disney World": a sad, but beautiful time capsule:
    Amazon.com: Gardens of the Walt Disney World Resort: A photographic tour of the themed gardens of the Magic Kingdom, Epcot Center and other resort areas: Dee Hansford, Katy Moss Warner, Tom Underwood, Gene Duncan: Books
    Awesome book.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by steve2wdw View Post
    The busiest theme park in the world should be adding more capacity (and maybe getting rid of FastPass) to get the mobs off the streets. Not removing the trees and charm (or what little there is left).
    I agree with you about removing Fastpass and everything else, but the "busiest" park in the World? That would be TDL.. Some of us know better because we go to both the MK and TDL often enough to see what park is really busy all the time and which one is not.

• Across From DL

I heard they were removed so Disney could open an oxygen bar

"To All Who Come To This Happy Place Your Welcome!"

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

It's sort of a no-win situation, though. If they'd left the trees there and still went ahead with a show like Wishes, you'd have people up in arms because their view was blocked by trees! I can understand the loss of shade being a problem. But I kinda like the look of the wide open plaza.

Now, if they'd just put twinkle lights back in the Main Street trees!!!

• is satisfactual.

The trees framed the castle, drawing your eye toward it kind of like a Chinese moongate. Without the trees, it just sits there stupidly. There's also no longer a buffer between all-American Main Street and this European castle.

And I miss the twinkle lights too.

• www.JonAutopsy.com

I was there this past January for my first time ever. If there was any kind of magic "missing", I didn't notice. It looked pretty awesome, to me.
    "NATURAL BORN KILLERS"
    1st Place - MiceChat Gumball Rally 2012

JON AUTOPSY - FACEBOOK

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Autopsy View Post
    I was there this past January for my first time ever. If there was any kind of magic "missing", I didn't notice. It looked pretty awesome, to me.
    I never noticed any magic missing on my 3 trips to WDW either. Go figure.

And from looking at the pictures in the first post, I actually think that it looks BETTER without the trees.

• Banned User

IT doesn't Clinks. The hub at the MK was nice, lush and featured much nicer planters where people could sit and enjoy the shade provided by the trees. Now? it's a barren concrete area where you can fry an egg on the floor between 11am and 4pm.
    Only infrequent visitors, and those who go for their first time will not realize how damaging this tree removal has been to the overall "pleasantness" of the MK park.

And Puss... the twinkling lights are still there but the trees are so small and puny that you really can not appreciate them the way they used to shimmer before the tree massacre.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Continue to offer your opinions at Guest Relations... about the lack of shade and beauty in the MK.. the more they hear about it, the more it will hopefully make them take notice.

They screwed up when they took the trees out. The MK hub in particular looks awful.
    I totally agree with you and the OP. The Magic Kingdom and EPCOT are both in serious need of shade trees. Green is beautiful and there are plenty of spots to watch fireworks.

Someone should have a word with Steve Davison (the guy who makes all those wonderful shows) and let him know that while we LOVE his fireworks, he needs to design them to be viewed from throughout the parks and not just on Main Street. Then there wouldn't be such pressure to rip out or cut back all the trees.

Steve, I love you man, but you are killing my trees.

Great topic!

-Dusty
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Banned User

Hi Dusty!! See U at Gay Days this weekend!!!

• www.JonAutopsy.com

Not to be the "Debbie Downer" but did you guys ever think that maybe WDW nixing the trees is the same kind of idea that Las Vegas has with the whole not having clocks, or perhaps even Fremont Street not having benches? It's to keep you inside where you can buy things, if you asked me. Want to get out of the sun? Well lets go into this shop, here. Oh my, I DO need a Goofy t-shirt!!

See what I'm getting at, here?
    "NATURAL BORN KILLERS"
    1st Place - MiceChat Gumball Rally 2012

JON AUTOPSY - FACEBOOK

• Banned User

Jon,
    That is possible, but as far as I know.. the primary reason was to cut the trees down to allow for the masses to watch Wishes. In regards to your take on this.. I think that is more the reason why Fastpass was made available to guests.. so you can buy your Goofy teeshirt while some poor unfortunate soul waits your turn in some stand by line.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast