Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• Minion

Re: Magic Kingdom Tree Massacre

They went waaaaay too far. Giving up this:
    ...in perpetuity for a short projection scheme within the fireworks is not a worthwhile trade-off (see post #37). A far better course would have been to (a) endure the complaining you think would follow from those who could not see the projections or (b) not incorporated projections into the show.

photo by: Michael Bonnet Jr. Flickr: Michael Bonnett Jr.'s Photostream

oh wow it looks so nice with the trees, to bad they took em down...
    it really looks so empty without the trees, they schould put some smaller
    trees, they won´t block the view of the castle and the firework.

• May the F=ma be with you

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post
    They went waaaaay too far. Giving up this:
    ...in perpetuity for a short projection scheme within the fireworks is not a worthwhile trade-off (see post #37). A far better course would have been to (a) endure the complaining you think would follow from those who could not see the projections or (b) not incorporated projections into the show.

photo by: Michael Bonnet Jr. Flickr: Michael Bonnett Jr.'s Photostream

Wow, I was trying to remember how it used to be and after looking at the posted picture, I say I like at A LOT better now.
    When I was younger, I remember not being able to see the castle stage show because of the trees, but I didn't think the view was that bad until you posted the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

The Magic Kingdom Hub area looked SO MUCH BETTER with the mature trees. From Town Square the castle looked far away, now it looks like it's sitting right at the end of Main Street, like it's at the front of the Hub.

I liked the way the Hub blocked views of the other lands and it was the "break" in the theming. Now from Liberty Square I can see the Contemporary Resort towering in the distance and night with the garish neon of Tomorrowland, well so much for being in Colonial America.

Coming out of Tomorrowland, I can see clearly into Main Street, Adventureland and Liberty Square and to the right is the Castle itself. It used to be nice to see a patch of shade trees and get lost in it a little before emerging on the otherside with a new land in sight.

The trees were removed so that people could have better sightlines for Cinderellabration back in 2005. Unfortunately that show was not the extravaganza that it was hyped to be because the Magic Kingdom cut down what was a nightly event in Tokyo Disneyland and turned it into a cheesy 8 time a day show where Cinderella gets coronated.

As far as the twinkling lights go, except for the trees on the outer hub, the trees in the center do not have them. Actually the trees are small they should be classified as shrubs.

When they changed the Hub in 2005 with the small trees, no curbs wider walkways, they ruined that part of the Magic Kingdom.

As for Town Square, it looked more like park befitting a turn of the century town when it had the bigger trees. Today it looks like nothing more than the courtyard in front of the major department store at the local mall.

Even the trees lining Main Street were cut back to the point where they are not visible much anymore, or are the trees still there? Hmmm I'll have to look for them when I go on Saturday. Main Street did have trees at one time, now I'm not sure they are still there.

• jeffrey

Quote Originally Posted by Angie_Duke View Post
    I heard for a better view of the castle stage the trees were removed in addition to how they were throwing off the forced perspective of the castle.

New, smaller trees should have been planted though.

Thats what I heard. I was just there last week and there were the small shrubby trees around. They were pleasant though.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

My mother always accused me of not being very observant. I honestly cannot say that I have a picture in my head of what I remember the Hub looking like at Disney World. I guess that I am always excitedly running through the park to get somewhere, that I haven't really stopped, and taken notice.

Also, I always view both the parades, and the fireworks in Town Square. I like the fact that I can be more mobile with my camera in that area, than in the crowded Hub.

I am visiting Disney World in August, and I will definitely take the time to really look at what the Hub looks like now. The last time that I was in Disney World was in December of 2007. I should get my photos out, and take a look at what I might have from that trip.

Great thread, and great points, both pro and con.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234