• Banned User

Help! Doing WDW quiz and I'm a DL gal!

Hello WDW gang! I'm from the DL gang! ha! I'm doing a quiz on Disney and have this question to answer that has me puzzled.

Here is the question:

When viewed from Epcot’s Showcase Plaza, what is wrong with “ Italy”?

Can anyone answer this for me??? I will be SO grateful!

Thanks!!

Re: Help! Doing WDW quiz and I'm a DL gal!

I know a lot about Epcot and this one is baffling. I can't even find a picture.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Married and happy again!!

See if this is what you are refuring to.

EPCOT’s Italy Pavilion, Phase II

In honor of that old Highlights magazine standby, take a look at this lovely rendering of EPCOT’s Italy pavilion and see if you can tell me what’s wrong with this picture:

Do you see it? Have a look at this Imagineering model for the pavilion:

For those of you who haven’t seen it yet, let me make it clear by comparing these circa-1982 pavilion designs with a picture of the modern day Italian showcase:

Kind of hard to miss it now, isn’t it? It appears that somewhere between concept and execution, some of our pavilion went missing. And indeed it did - that Renaissance style facade you see looming in the rear of the pavilion would have served as gateway to the second phase of the Italian pavilion. A phase that was designed, announced… and never built.
    It’s often observed in Disney fan circles that the Italian pavilion is the weakest of World Showcase’s offerings. While many of the other pavilions also lack attractions, they make up for that somewhat with other points of interest. Even the underdeveloped United Kingdom pavilion has its winding streets and gardens (and pub), and attractionless Morocco has its elaborate theming and sprawling layout. Italy has a shop, a nice but undistinguished restaurant, and… a shop. It’s a bit of a letdown, considering Italy’s thousands of years of rich heritage, art and history, so one can understand why guests might be perplexed to enter the pavilion only to find its central plaza lined on two sides by nothing but plain walls and hedgerows. Answers, but not solace, might be found in this passage from Richard Beard’s 1982 book about the creation of EPCOT Center:
    Few buildings remain perfectly preserved as they were when new. Over the centuries, landlords change; one year they are prosperous, and they build on additions. The next year they’re a little short of funds, so they tear down part of the structure and sell the stones.
    In a sense, the Italy pavilion itself is a victim of this cycle of fortune; the area which was to represent Southern Italy - not to mention a splendid replica of Roman ruins - may not be completed until 1983.
    - Walt Disney’s EPCOT: Creating the New World of Tomorrow, 1982
    Beard wasn’t kidding about the reason for the delay in the pavilion’s expansion; as EPCOT was nearing the end of its three-year construction period, time and money were running short. The park was greatly over-budget, and its massive scope and groundbreaking technology made the October 1st, 1982 opening date seem highly optimistic. Strapped for cash and manpower, Disney management canceled the construction of four attractions in World Showcase, reserving them for the park’s intended second phase. Only when they realized that these changes had dangerously reduced opening-day ride capacity did they fast-track the construction of a single high-capacity attraction, Mexico’s El Rio Del Tiempo, to open with the rest of the park.
    Another conceptual rendering of the pavilion; note that the Campanile di San Marco was still depicted in its original site on the opposite side of the plaza
    After the park opened, the money earmarked for expansion was focused on opening Horizons, the ride portion of Journey into Imagination, construction of the Moroccan pavilion and preparation for The Living Seas. Before management could return their attentions to World Showcase’s Phase II attractions, the sweeping changes of 1984 arrived and Eisner’s agenda took precedence. Aside from Norway’s opening in 1988, World Showcase was never heard from again.
    The Italy pavilion as it was to be, 1982
    Details about what was intended for the Italy expansion are scarce. Beard mentions the walk-through of Roman ruins, but more interesting though equally obscure was the planned centerpiece of the expansion. This little-known attraction was to be a dark ride, wherein guests would board gondolas for a boat ride through various Italian scenes. Sounds nice, doesn’t it? Guests would enter the attraction through an arch on the west side of the plaza. After the ride, they would exit towards the rear of the pavilion where they’d emerge in the midst of the aforementioned Roman ruins.
    This wasn’t the extent of the additions, though. Disney documentarian Martin Smith has done a yeoman’s job of tracking down information about the expansion, and created some fantastic visualizations of what could have been.
    Footprint of the Italy expansion, by Martin Smith
    In the image above, we see the two sections of expansion. The area surrounded by white would contain the ride show building and its Roman facade. The green outline would be a two-story structure, with the ride’s entrance and queue on the ground floor and a second restaurant upstairs. The blue line is an arched overlook which would connect the new restaurant building with Alfredo’s.
    Overhead view of the Italy pavilion, facing east
    Italy pavilion with restaurant building overlay, by Martin Smith
    This area where the second restaurant was to be built is currently occupied by only a hedgerow and a single gate, as can be seen in the below image which was taken in Google Earth. Once one knows what was intended for this space, its absence seems glaring:
    The area in question, looking northwest
    The expansion was intended to connect with the extant construction shown above, as can be seen in this Imagineering model:
    Imagineering model of the Italy pavilion, under construction. Note the funky circular feature in front of the American Adventure
    The model above suggests that the restaurant building was intended to be built first, as the Roman section does not appear (there seem to be a few crumbled columns on the western facade, though, so perhaps that section was Roman as well). One can see from even the partial model that the expansion would have really drawn the pavilion together, and made it a much more interesting space than it currently is.
    Will the expansion ever come to light? There’s no telling if Disney is even trying to recruit sponsors for this sort of thing anymore, and relaxing, scenic dark rides without franchiseable tie-ins aren’t exactly en vogue in Burbank. Even if Team Disney’s attentions were to return to World Showcase, the empty yet completed show building behind Japan will likely receive the first attention, followed probably by the partially-completed ride space in the German pavilion. But if there’s some Italian corporation out there looking for some good exposure to millions of guests each year, pick up your phone and call WDI. Wouldn’t this look nice in World Showcase?
    Micechatter #5053 Looking for our new home in the WDW area! We need to get closer to our "Laughing Place"!

• Married and happy again!!

oops sorry double posted.
    Last edited by Jessicalover; 05-30-2009 at 06:39 AM.
    Micechatter #5053 Looking for our new home in the WDW area! We need to get closer to our "Laughing Place"!

• враг народа

Blog Entries

The bell tower is on the wrong side.
    Last edited by lazyboy97O; 05-30-2009 at 06:49 AM.

^
    I think the post above mine is the right answer. The St. Mark's Square Campanile is reversed from the real counterparts in Venice. The imagineers designed it that way to make it unique.
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Wow, I always seemed a little short sighted, I had no idea there was supposed to be a huge expansion there. Thanks so much for the information!

I think that second portion would have been lovely!

Woh. Someone did their research!
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    The bell tower is on the wrong side.
    Ooooh, thanks!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DoppelV View Post
    ^
    I think the post above mine is the right answer. The St. Mark's Square Campanile is reversed from the real counterparts in Venice. The imagineers designed it that way to make it unique.
    Okay, thanks for the 2nd opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Wow, I always seemed a little short sighted, I had no idea there was supposed to be a huge expansion there. Thanks so much for the information!

I think that second portion would have been lovely!
    I agree! And, thank you for posting that Jessicalover! I did find that and I'm not sure that's what they want as much as wanting something that is there now, but, it would be cool if they built it later. I have only been there once and it was 10 years ago!

Thanks guys/gals!

• Live from Progress City

Haha glad to see my blog post proved interesting, but I'll echo the above opinion; the campanile and Doge's Palace are a mirror-image of the actual layout in Venice...

• Geoff London

Quote Originally Posted by MiklCraw4d View Post
    Haha glad to see my blog post proved interesting, but I'll echo the above opinion; the campanile and Doge's Palace are a mirror-image of the actual layout in Venice...
    And you'd be partly right. The campanile (the bell tower) is in the correct place (to the left) but the Doge's palace should be on the other side. The two columns have also been reversed.

You only have to compare a phto of the real thing with the Epcot version to see the difference.
    Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic !