Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Pilot EdForceOne

Re: Disney's going to have to Step up the 3-d shows.

I can't believe you all are actually WANTING 3D gags in the film at the theater.

Sure 3-D gags have their place.. and in the attractions in the park the 3-D element is one of the signiifcant aspect of the film.

In the films in the theater... it is only there to enhance the movie - not be a distraction. It adds depth, it makes scenes seem realistic, you forget more and more that you're watching a big flat screen.

3-D gags cheapen the impression people have of the technology. Disney is trying to make it an essential part of the movie experience... just like stereo or surround sound is now. Sure at the start, you had certain gags to emphasis its presence.. now its just appreciated without you focusing on it. That's what Disney is doing with 3D in the theater to help improve the theater experience.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• All-American

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post

As for Pixar, I have yet to see any film in theaters in 3D (I'm hoping Harry Potter will be my first).I agree though if Pixar just wants to focus on story rather than special effects than having 3D viewings of Up is rather pointless.However I don't see why you can't have both. I can't remember whether or not WALL-E was in made in 3D but I think that kind of film would've strongly benefited from having popout effects in the mix. Yay? Nay?

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post

In the films in the theater... it is only there to enhance the movie - not be a distraction. It adds depth, it makes scenes seem realistic, you forget more and more that you're watching a big flat screen.

3-D gags cheapen the impression people have of the technology. Disney is trying to make it an essential part of the movie experience... just like stereo or surround sound is now. Sure at the start, you had certain gags to emphasis its presence.. now its just appreciated without you focusing on it. That's what Disney is doing with 3D in the theater to help improve the theater experience.
    Exactly. 3-D is supposed to be like the new color or the new surround-sound, increasing the quality and immersiveness of the movie without imposing its presence, as would, say, a theme park attraction. And Pixar would never put in those pop-out gags, because they care too much about the artistic intergrity of their films - the films tell their story without the need to be in 3-D, but the added depth enhances it. And IMO, that's the best way to do it.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I'd rather have Disney give up the 3D shows in the parks. Keep the ones they have but no more.

• Lonestar Louisianian

Having seen "UP" in 3-D just yesterday I could appreciate the sense of depth in film. Would I have missed it had it not been in 3-d? No. However, I wanted my first (outside the park) Disney 3-D experience to be with "UP" and I was not very impressed. Sure there were no "popping" effects but I did not expect there to be. As has been said before, those type of effects would have felt out of place or somewhat "gimmicky."
    I guess what I am saying is I expected a bit more depth, so to speak. I mean some of those scenes in the movie should have seemed more three dimensional, more "far away." Even the Walt Disney Pictures logo seemed more "deep" than the enitre movie.

The movie was excellent. I loved watching it, but next time I think I will save the extra money ($3 at my local theatre) and forgo the 3-D experience.
    (unless it happens to come to the I-Max theatre, which is what I was wishing for while watching "UP")

Blog Entries

I actually don't like the 3d effect on the movies in the theater. I like them in a theme park ten minute show or something but not for a full hour and a half. Sure it adds some depth to the movie, but other than that it does nothing for me other than leave me with a headache when all is said and done. So now I avoid the whole 3d thing. To me its still a gimmick. Either the movie is good or not, adding 3d to it doesn't make it any better.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole View Post
    Either the movie is good or not, adding 3d to it doesn't make it any better.
    The same can be said about the size of the screen.

The point isn't to make the movie necessarily a better movie.. it's to try to bring people to the movie theatre vs just waiting for the DVD. The same thing as using digital projectors, better sound, etc.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Blog Entries

While true, I was pointing out that for me, it is actually a detractor for the movie. It doesn't add anything to the experience for me as digital quality, large screens, nice sound systems do because of the fact that it gives me headaches to view a movie in 3d.

I'm certain it doesn't do that for everyone, but for me its an issue. I know I'm not the only person to have noticed that effect.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
    I saw it six months ago... ok... it was at HKDL... but that should mean it shoulf be even better. But no. It was very blurry and just felt like I had seen it all before a 100 times. I do like the movie but the projections are bad and need to be updated to. Even a movietheater in Sweden´s country side beats the quality of a Disneypark 3D show. Now that is bad.
    I dont know about the HKDL one, but the one at WDW was recently refurbished, and it looks awesome.

• Not here to help

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    I dont know about the HKDL one, but the one at WDW was recently refurbished, and it looks awesome.
    Is picture and sound as good as or better in a normal movie theatre that shows digital 3D movies? If not it´s not good enough.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

When my wife and I heard the marketing director of Pixar speak a few weeks ago, he made a point of saying that the 3D would not be "pop out centric." The focus of the 3D was to show the depth of the setting of the movie mainly. I am planning on seeing it in 3D today, so I'm not sure how successful it was, but perhaps part of the issue is the theater too?

Honestly, in any of the newer 3D movies I've seen, from Nightmare Before Christmas on, I haven't noticed any pop out effects at all; just a depth that makes the movie look more like a viewmaster reel than anything else.

And IMO, the 3D park movie most in need of a refurb is HISTA. Does any new guests even remember those movies anymore?
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Mostly Harmless.

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    When my wife and I heard the marketing director of Pixar speak a few weeks ago, he made a point of saying that the 3D would not be "pop out centric." The focus of the 3D was to show the depth of the setting of the movie mainly. I am planning on seeing it in 3D today, so I'm not sure how successful it was, but perhaps part of the issue is the theater too?

Honestly, in any of the newer 3D movies I've seen, from Nightmare Before Christmas on, I haven't noticed any pop out effects at all; just a depth that makes the movie look more like a viewmaster reel than anything else.

And IMO, the 3D park movie most in need of a refurb is HISTA. Does any new guests even remember those movies anymore?

There was one "pop out" effect that I noticed on the Meatball trailer. But during the movie there is nothing.

The biggest thing that I was getting at, pop outs aside, was the film quality. The 3D flicks in the park give me a headache most of the time with the ghost picture. I imagine it's because of well worn projectors. Maybe it's time that the park shows get an updated digital 3D projection system? Just because Kodak is the sponsor doesn't mean it has to be film. Kodak makes digital items as well.
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coastierox View Post
    The biggest thing that I was getting at, pop outs aside, was the film quality. The 3D flicks in the park give me a headache most of the time with the ghost picture. I imagine it's because of well worn projectors. Maybe it's time that the park shows get an updated digital 3D projection system? Just because Kodak is the sponsor doesn't mean it has to be film. Kodak makes digital items as well.
    I have noticed the ghost images as well. However, I thought it was more of where I was sitting than anything else. It always seems the middle of the theater avoids those images, and the further out you get, the more apparent it is.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Mostly Harmless.

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    I have noticed the ghost images as well. However, I thought it was more of where I was sitting than anything else. It always seems the middle of the theater avoids those images, and the further out you get, the more apparent it is.
    I used to think the same thing, but the last few times I've seen Muppets It has been pretty much everywhere.
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
    Is picture and sound as good as or better in a normal movie theatre that shows digital 3D movies? If not it´s not good enough.
    I've seen some full length 3D movies in theatres. PhilharMagic is definitely the best 3D movie I've seen, in or out of a theme park.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12