Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Mostly Harmless.

Disney's going to have to Step up the 3-d shows.

Just saw Up in 3-D and decided that the quality of the 3-D was far superior to the shows in the park. So, just thinking that if 3-D flicks are going to be the thing of the future they are going to have to outdo it in the park if they want to keep the shows interesting.
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Re: Disney's going to have to Step up the 3-d shows.

I saw UP in one of Cinemark's XD theaters in 3D and even though the film was outstanding the 3D wasn't what I thought it would be. Yes the film was dimensonal and had depth but I of course wanted things to pop out of the screen at the audience....

That I get from Disney's 3D shows, stuff coming out of the screen at the audience.

I remember back when Nightmare Before Christmas got the 3D effect they showed this jack in the box pop out and into the audience telling us to wear our 3D glasses. I was like, "that's what I want to see in the 3D Disney movies at my local cinema" but I have yet to get that effect again.

I was shocked Toy Story 3 teaser in 3D didn't have the dinosaur peek out into the audience just for the hell of it.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Micoofy Duck View Post
    I saw UP in one of Cinemark's XD theaters in 3D and even though the film was outstanding the 3D wasn't what I thought it would be. Yes the film was dimensonal and had depth but I of course wanted things to pop out of the screen at the audience....

That I get from Disney's 3D shows, stuff coming out of the screen at the audience.

I remember back when Nightmare Before Christmas got the 3D effect they showed this jack in the box pop out and into the audience telling us to wear our 3D glasses. I was like, "that's what I want to see in the 3D Disney movies at my local cinema" but I have yet to get that effect again.

I was shocked Toy Story 3 teaser in 3D didn't have the dinosaur peek out into the audience just for the hell of it.
    That's the advantage 3-D theme park attractions have - they're 3-D to everyone watching them. Having those "pop-out" moments in a movie wouldn't make sense to someone watching that movie in 2-D, but movies that are always in 3-D movies tend to take huge advantage of those kinds of effects.

And as to the future of 3-D attractions, I think it goes without saying that the film quality will have to match or exceed those in theaters. But I also think they should go the way of Muppets and Tough to Be a Bug, with a mixture of AAs and film, and plenty of in-house effects, which no conventional theater can match.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Not too many of the movies that are presented in 3D, really make much use of it, whether or not it's a Disney movie. I thought BOLT did a better job utilizing the 3D, than UP. The river scene in the original OPEN SEASON made great use of the 3D, and Journey to the Center of the Earth (from last summer) did one of the better jobs with the 3D.

• The Ghost Relations Dept.

A main problem in the 3D shows in the park, versus the 3D movies in theaters:

The ones in the parks are Sponsored by Kodak and are film. The ones in theaters are not sponsored by Kodak and don't play over and over every 10 minutes for months, if not years at a time before being replaced. So, unless Disney wants to drop some sponsors and move to all digital projections, I don't think it will happen soon, sadly.

• Mostly Harmless.

I understand the pop out effect disappointments, but the fact is that there was only one picture throughout the entire show, no "ghost" picture like I have seen in the park movies for so many years.
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Well Lassetter said the Disney-PIXAR use of 3D won't be used to replace story and heart. It won't be all about the popping off the screen with gimmick, that is what the theme park's 3D films are for.

I however don't think the PIXAR 3D was worth it...it in no way beats the 3D of Philharmagic. I knew it wasn't going to be 3D popping, but it still was only mediocre. It wasn't worth the extra 6 bucks, I would have enjoyed the film the old way just the same. It's fine for depth in the film...but I think in general what we want in 3D is the "POPPING" effect...I don't see it being the savior for seeing a film in theater that they wish it was. It didn't make me enjoy the film anymore that I would have.

However...the AC was apparently "off" in the theater (I guess I did notice after the fact...for once I wasn't freezing) and we recieved vouchers for a free movie. So...I guess that kinda made up for it...though the 3D film didn't have the Princess & The Frog trailer before it.

• Banned User

I haven't seen Up yet, but I did see Coraline and Journey in 3D. I do like the depth of field in the 3D versions of theatrical releases, but I agree with above posters that the best 3D is in the theme parks. For theatrical releases, 3D enhances the experience. In theme parks, it is a unique 4D experience with in your face "popping", and Mickey's PhilharMagic is still the gold standard. Seeing Donald Duck come right out of the screen and in front of you in the theatre is an amazing sight.

• Not here to help

The 3D shows are blurry and all OUT OF DATE. Remake it all, it looks bad Disney!
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Banned User

Makes no difference to me.. I did not care to go watch Bolt, and I do not care much for Up either. Yawn.

• Banned User

Timmy, you obviously haven't seen PhilharMagic.

• Not here to help

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    Timmy, you obviously haven't seen PhilharMagic.
    I saw it six months ago... ok... it was at HKDL... but that should mean it shoulf be even better. But no. It was very blurry and just felt like I had seen it all before a 100 times. I do like the movie but the projections are bad and need to be updated to. Even a movietheater in Sweden´s country side beats the quality of a Disneypark 3D show. Now that is bad.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Engine Co 71

Quote Originally Posted by Coastierox View Post
    Just saw Up in 3-D and decided that the quality of the 3-D was far superior to the shows in the park. So, just thinking that if 3-D flicks are going to be the thing of the future they are going to have to outdo it in the park if they want to keep the shows interesting.

I can agree with this to some extent, I just saw UP last night in my AMC theatre and I thought the 3-D quality was just as poor as in the parks. Probably because the projector was dirty or something was old and out dated with the set up in the theatre. I am sure this is the same else where but lets not forget the "other" effects that are in the parks that will NEVER be in theatres. The fans, fog/mist machines, AA's, and so on. IMHO that makes up for...some...of the poor 3-D quality at the parks. I do agree whole heartedly with a previous post that Disney should go digital with thier projection.

Then again, many of the 3D shows in the parks are rather old. I did not think that Mickey's Philharmagic was blurry at all when I last saw it.

Also, one of the biggest reasons the 3-D films in the park are better is not only do you have the extra effects, but disney also has the power to control the viewing angle, viewing distance, etc.

Obviously there's going to be a difference in a small, flat seated theater, than a large one with stadium seating.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
    The 3D shows are blurry and all OUT OF DATE. Remake it all, it looks bad Disney!
    The only one of those shows that really screams UPDATE ASAP, is Muppet 3D. In the end scene where you're supposed to believe that the wall was broken through and parkgoers are looking in you can see those people are still wearing early 1990s clothing. Really out of date!

As for Pixar, I have yet to see any film in theaters in 3D (I'm hoping Harry Potter will be my first). I agree though if Pixar just wants to focus on story rather than special effects than having 3D viewings of Up is rather pointless. However I don't see why you can't have both. I can't remember whether or not WALL-E was in made in 3D but I think that kind of film would've strongly benefited from having popout effects in the mix. Yay? Nay?
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast