View Poll Results: If You Could Magically Give A Major Makeover To A WDW Attraction, Which Would It Be?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Haunted Mansion

    3 8.57%
  • Star Tours

    7 20.00%
  • Tower of Terror

    0 0%
  • Jungle Cruise

    3 8.57%
  • Space Mountain

    6 17.14%
  • Kali River Rapids

    3 8.57%
  • One or More EPCOT World Showcase Pavillions or Future World's Imagination Pavilion

    18 51.43%
  • Soarin' Over California

    4 11.43%
  • Body Wars

    6 17.14%
  • Other

    5 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,466

    If You Could Magically Give A Major Makeover To A WDW Attraction, Which Would It Be?

    It's no secret that WDW management in recent years have been reluctant to invest much capital in refubishments, overlays, makeovers and new attractions. With this in mind, which existing attraction(s) would you invest a million or more dollars in order to either bring it back up to speed, or else give it (or them) a complete makeover?
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 06-02-2009 at 09:30 AM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  2. #2

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,466

    Re: If You Could Magically Give A Major Makeover To A WDW Attraction, Which Would It

    I'd makeover quite a few rides. The one I am most interested in changing-up is Soarin' Over California. I'd change the theme to Soarin' over Florida or Soarin' Over the USA.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 05-31-2009 at 10:17 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  3. #3

    • Progressive Disneylander
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    1,240

    Re: If You Could Magically Give A Major Makeover To A WDW Attraction, Which Would It

    Other.

    For me, it would be The Great Movie Ride. When I first read the headline before seeing that there was an actual list to vote on, I considered other attractions like Soarin' and Stitch's Great Escape. But even if not ideal, they aren't in dire need of fixing. The Great Movie Ride, however, desperately needs love.

    IMO, it has so much potential to be made really cool again, but it's grown stale by featuring movies that are now 20 years older than when the attraction first opened. If done right, I could actually love this attraction again the same way I did the first time I ever was in it.

    Moves I'd like to see presented in grand fashion would be: The Empire Strikes Back, The Dark Knight, Lord of the Rings and The Matrix. I'd like to see smaller scenes sets for Forest Gump (on bench), Heat (coffee shop scene w/ DeNiro & Pacino), Rocky (Rocky w/ Adrian in the ring) and Silence of the Lambs (Hannibal w/ mask). I just think these movies are a lot more modern and more interesting to a 40 and under crowd.

  4. #4

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,466

    Re: If You Could Magically Give A Major Makeover To A WDW Attraction, Which Would It

    Quote Originally Posted by KISSman View Post
    Other.

    For me, it would be The Great Movie Ride. When I first read the headline before seeing that there was an actual list to vote on, I considered other attractions like Soarin' and Stitch's Great Escape. But even if not ideal, they aren't in dire need of fixing. The Great Movie Ride, however, desperately needs love.

    IMO, it has so much potential to be made really cool again, but it's grown stale by featuring movies that are now 20 years older than when the attraction first opened. If done right, I could actually love this attraction again the same way I did the first time I ever was in it.

    Moves I'd like to see presented in grand fashion would be: The Empire Strikes Back, The Dark Knight, Lord of the Rings and The Matrix. I'd like to see smaller scenes sets for Forest Gump (on bench), Heat (coffee shop scene w/ DeNiro & Pacino), Rocky (Rocky w/ Adrian in the ring) and Silence of the Lambs (Hannibal w/ mask). I just think these movies are a lot more modern and more interesting to a 40 and under crowd.
    Fantastic new ideas for improving The Great Movie ride, KISSman. More recent boxoffice hits woud totally rock. Universal Hollywood is adding special effects to it's tram tour. The Great Movie Ride would also benefit from modern effects. The way I figure is that disney doesn't have any choice but to do a modern makeove. It's either that or allow the attraction to die a painful death, or else replace it with something altogeher new and expensive.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  5. #5

    •   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    12,350

    Re: If You Could Magically Give A Major Makeover To A WDW Attraction, Which Would It

    Oh, I forgot about the Great Movie Ride, I absolutely agree about that. That one also needs a major upgrade. I'd love to see it updated with some more recent films.

  6. #6

    • Choir nerd
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    158

    Re: If You Could Magically Give A Major Makeover To A WDW Attraction, Which Would It

    I chose the EPCOT World Showcase/Imagination, because the last (only) time I was in EPCOT, I was extremely disapointed, especially with those two things. World Showcase could use more attractions, instead of just stores, restaurants, and architecture. And Imagination with Figment is... yeah.

  7. #7

    • Mostly Harmless.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Somewhere in Idaho...
    Posts
    1,825

    Re: If You Could Magically Give A Major Makeover To A WDW Attraction, Which Would It

    I'm gonna jump on the World Showcase boat here. I think that WS is great, but it could be so much better. With only two rides and four shows I think that it does have a lot more potential. More countries would be a bonus as well.
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

  8. #8

    • Waiting for my E-Ticket
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota
    Posts
    19,726

    Re: If You Could Magically Give A Major Makeover To A WDW Attraction, Which Would It

    The Imagination Pavilion at EPCOT. I'd bring it back to its former glory with an updated version of the original, Dreamfinder and all. Plus I'd reopen the old ImageWorks upstairs. I'd keep most of the original activities but update their technology, and maybe add a few new ones as well. And I'd get rid of that terrible "Honey I Shrunk the Audience" movie and bring back restored/remastered versions of Captain EO and Magic Journeys and have them playing alternately.

  9. #9

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940

    Re: If You Could Magically Give A Major Makeover To A WDW Attraction, Which Would It

    Good poll question...

    Well.. if I was in charge of this, I would..
    -Bring the MK's Space Mountain up to DL's standards.
    -Bring the MK's POTC and Big Thunder up to DLP's standards.
    -Bring the MK's Splash Mt and electrical parade up to TDL's standards.
    -Bring the MK's IASW and Jungle Cruise up to HKDL's standards.
    Add Xmas overlays to HM, IASW and bring back the regular/summer/xmas show rotation to the Country Bears.

    Pull the plug on crappy or overrated attractions like Soarin', Test Track, Mission Space, Not-so-Great Movie Ride and get all that moeny and use it to fix Everest's flaws and return the Yeti back to animated life.
    -

  10. #10

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,466

    Re: If You Could Magically Give A Major Makeover To A WDW Attraction, Which Would It

    Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Good poll question...

    Well.. if I was in charge of this, I would..
    -Bring the MK's Space Mountain up to DL's standards.
    -Bring the MK's POTC and Big Thunder up to DLP's standards.
    -Bring the MK's Splash Mt and electrical parade up to TDL's standards.
    -Bring the MK's IASW and Jungle Cruise up to HKDL's standards.
    Add Xmas overlays to HM, IASW and bring back the regular/summer/xmas show rotation to the Country Bears.

    Pull the plug on crappy or overrated attractions like Soarin', Test Track, Mission Space, Not-so-Great Movie Ride and get all that moeny and use it to fix Everest's flaws and return the Yeti back to animated life.
    -
    Exceptional post! ..one of your finest, TDLFAN. I love how you have highlighted some of the best attractions at each Disney resort, and related how WDW would be significantly improved should it's attractions be updated accrding to the same standards.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  11. #11

    • Across From DL
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Anaheim CA
    Posts
    269

    Re: If You Could Magically Give A Major Makeover To A WDW Attraction, Which Would It

    I agree with TDLFAN Invest in attractions that need it especially Everest



    "To All Who Come To This Happy Place Your Welcome!"

  12. #12

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    201

    Re: If You Could Magically Give A Major Makeover To A WDW Attraction, Which Would It

    Soarin' Over California....
    thanE

  13. #13

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    22,687

    Re: If You Could Magically Give A Major Makeover To A WDW Attraction, Which Would It

    Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Good poll question...

    Well.. if I was in charge of this, I would..
    -Bring the MK's Space Mountain up to DL's standards.
    -Bring the MK's POTC and Big Thunder up to DLP's standards.
    -Bring the MK's Splash Mt and electrical parade up to TDL's standards.
    -Bring the MK's IASW and Jungle Cruise up to HKDL's standards.
    Add Xmas overlays to HM, IASW and bring back the regular/summer/xmas show rotation to the Country Bears.

    Pull the plug on crappy or overrated attractions like Soarin', Test Track, Mission Space, Not-so-Great Movie Ride and get all that moeny and use it to fix Everest's flaws and return the Yeti back to animated life.
    -
    I actually agree with these, with a few exceptions.

    Space Mtn: Have you ridden DL's lately??? I for one LOVE the layout of the MK's Space Mtn. I would hate to have the boring CA Layout. Now the FL layout with a slightly smoother track AND effects would be the best SM ever.

    Never been to DLP, TDL or HKDL so can't comment on bringing those rides "up to standard" so I'll leave that alone.

    As far as Soarin', I'll agree. I've never ridden FL's Soarin' because I can ride it here. Why waste my time.

    I LOVE Test Track, but would love to see an actual "Story" on the front part of the ride.

    Mission Space, is GREAT. Don't change a thing, including Gary Sinise's toupe'.

    Which brings me to the ride that needs to be improved most:

    The Great Movie Ride

    The concept is great. Put you in the middle of classic hollywood movies. The execution however, is not great. It needs to be able to be updated and the ride-system isn't too great. Sure it's nice to have some "live action" elements in the ride, but it's not necessary.

    I'm pretty sure that ride building is pretty big, keep the concept, put in an Omnimover (like HM). This will also give you more room to have even more movies featured. Each room could be a different film era from the silent movies up until Today with the ability to update the ending.

    Last room should be a tron-like speed tunnel featuring clips from the movies (like the slide-show they have now, only better).

    Or better yet, just make it the "Muppet Movie Ride" and move the entrance to the other side of the building closer to Muppets 3D. The back corner of that building is near the "Honey I shrunk the audience" set. Take that out and make that whole area Muppets.


  14. #14

    • Iron-Clad Allie
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,466

    Re: If You Could Magically Give A Major Makeover To A WDW Attraction, Which Would It

    Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I actually agree with these, with a few exceptions.

    Space Mtn: Have you ridden DL's lately??? I for one LOVE the layout of the MK's Space Mtn. I would hate to have the boring CA Layout. Now the FL layout with a slightly smoother track AND effects would be the best SM ever.

    Never been to DLP, TDL or HKDL so can't comment on bringing those rides "up to standard" so I'll leave that alone.

    As far as Soarin', I'll agree. I've never ridden FL's Soarin' because I can ride it here. Why waste my time.

    I LOVE Test Track, but would love to see an actual "Story" on the front part of the ride.

    Mission Space, is GREAT. Don't change a thing, including Gary Sinise's toupe'.

    Which brings me to the ride that needs to be improved most:

    The Great Movie Ride

    The concept is great. Put you in the middle of classic hollywood movies. The execution however, is not great. It needs to be able to be updated and the ride-system isn't too great. Sure it's nice to have some "live action" elements in the ride, but it's not necessary.

    I'm pretty sure that ride building is pretty big, keep the concept, put in an Omnimover (like HM). This will also give you more room to have even more movies featured. Each room could be a different film era from the silent movies up until Today with the ability to update the ending.

    Last room should be a tron-like speed tunnel featuring clips from the movies (like the slide-show they have now, only better).

    Or better yet, just make it the "Muppet Movie Ride" and move the entrance to the other side of the building closer to Muppets 3D. The back corner of that building is near the "Honey I shrunk the audience" set. Take that out and make that whole area Muppets.
    An Omnimover, more movie scenes, new technological effects, and rooms that feature different film eras are great ideas that would vastly improve the Great Movie Ride experience.

    Where the Muppets are concerned, I'd rather see the dated Muppet Vision theater torn down, and a simulator ride (like StarTours - only with modern tech) built in it's place. The new adventure would span the best muppet movies...and take guests from Hollywood to Manhatton to Treasure Island to Oz and then Space...while squeezing in a great new Muppet Caper segment. During the holidays, the ride would be thematically transformed to A Muppet Christmas Carol.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!


  15. #15

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940

    Re: If You Could Magically Give A Major Makeover To A WDW Attraction, Which Would It

    Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Space Mtn: Have you ridden DL's lately??? I for one LOVE the layout of the MK's Space Mtn. I would hate to have the boring CA Layout. Now the FL layout with a slightly smoother track AND effects would be the best SM ever.
    Funny, I have always liked DL's track better... which BTW is the same one built at TDL and HKDL. I like that it's fast enough with tight curves, as opposed to the MK's track which I find flat and slow. I will say this much, if they at least make the ride darker at the MK.. then it will be a vast improvement.

    Never been to DLP, TDL or HKDL so can't comment on bringing those rides "up to standard" so I'll leave that alone.
    Oh Clinks! I did not know you were so virginal about this. I knew you had not been to Asia.. but Paris either?? GOSH! Someone get this boy some true quality pixie dusting!!! You see, the problem with all of you from CA is that you do not realize what a little gem you have in DL. Anyone can attest how much better the CA DL park is over the MK (right Summer?), so maybe some of you take it for granted. Me? cross to bear.. I visit the worldwide parks way too often and have been come way too familiar with their operational virtues and flaws, reason why WDW constantly rates rock-solid-bottom in my list. The diversity of WDW is one aspect that will make this resort be a better vacation experience because just about any one can find something they will be interesting in doing and get satisfaction from it.. If you are a golf player, a dinning enthusiast, commando ride fan, enjoy looking at overfilled trash cans that hardly ever get cleaned, enjoy sailing in little boats, time share lover, etc etc... then HECK! WDW is the place for you. Me? I go to Disney for the 'reality escapism' aspect of the park itself. Reason why based on that predilection alone, the MK rates poorly, while TDL is 1st, with DL a very close 2nd, DLP 3rd.. and even puny HKDL 4th, which I rate higher than the MK because that little park is themed well enough to earn the recognition (rixter salivates over my HKDL pics), not to mention it's rides feature newer technology and their special events are actually much more fun than the few pay-for parties at the MK.

    As far as Soarin', I'll agree. I've never ridden FL's Soarin' because I can ride it here. Why waste my time.
    It has a lovelier queue. walk thru it and then turn around... but seeing warburton's spiel edited to just say "welcome to 'Soaring...(CHOP!)" is worth it. But again.. maybe you should see it so you can really appreciate your little DL park more when you are away from it.

    The Great Movie Ride

    The concept is great. Put you in the middle of classic hollywood movies. The execution however, is not great. It needs to be able to be updated and the ride-system isn't too great. Sure it's nice to have some "live action" elements in the ride, but it's not necessary.

    I'm pretty sure that ride building is pretty big, keep the concept, put in an Omnimover (like HM). This will also give you more room to have even more movies featured. Each room could be a different film era from the silent movies up until Today with the ability to update the ending.

    Last room should be a tron-like speed tunnel featuring clips from the movies (like the slide-show they have now, only better).
    The problem with GMR is.. budgets. This was designed to be an epic ride, with lots of CMs working it and dual show experiences for the same batch of guests. When they started cutting corners in the way the ride was originally operated, that is when it went downhill.
    I am still troubled by how they neglected to improve the opening Footlight Parade scene, choosing to leave it as stationary as Macy*s windows in the summer time. That is poor show and totally unacceptable when you take in consideration what it costs to vist any given WDW park. I will not stand for poor quality and will rant about it (often in regards to WDW).
    Or better yet, just make it the "Muppet Movie Ride" and move the entrance to the other side of the building closer to Muppets 3D. The back corner of that building is near the "Honey I shrunk the audience" set. Take that out and make that whole area Muppets.
    One of the original plans for the Muppet area was a muppet version of the movie ride.. but of course, when Jim Henson bought the farm.. the ideas were all scrapped..along with Eisner's imaginary Disney decade plans.
    Me, I do not care for the Muppets, and if I was in charge.. stuff that is not connected with Disney's animantion would not be featured at the parks. Things like Star Wars, Muppets, Ninja Turtles, or anything Disney channel related crap...have NO business being in a "Disney" park. I don't care if Disney owns the franchise or not. To me, having this stuff in the parks is "raping" them.
    I would most prefer the Great Movie Ride was turned into the long rumored Villains ride, or even better.. why not use the massive Disney character collection and turn this ride into a huge musical and dramatic journey with the lastest technologies in AA, lighting, sound, special effects, and place the Disney characters front and center while recreating some of the most famous moments in movie history, be them from musicals, drama, action, sci-fi.. etc etc. That would be the perfect movie tribute to Hollywood but "Disney style". It would be funny and totally enjoyable me thinks. But as a realistic, I know it will not happen because it would take a budget to create and lots of maintenance to upkeep, and that is something that the current management is only willing to invest on their time shares on property and not the parks.
    Last edited by TDLFAN; 06-02-2009 at 10:45 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [News] "HK DIsneyland hopes to unveil major new attraction" South China Morning Post.
    By HKDLFAN in forum Hong Kong Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-18-2009, 09:02 PM
  2. Replies: 35
    Last Post: 03-24-2008, 03:19 PM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-14-2007, 04:52 PM
  4. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-18-2006, 10:39 PM
  5. What disneyland attraction needs a heavy Disneyland Makeover?
    By Disney Wrassler in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-15-2005, 09:56 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •