Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Iron-Clad Allie

Space Mountain Electronic Game Queue

Orlando tourism: Space Mountain wait may be more fun -- OrlandoSentinel.com

A construction notice recently filed by WDW highlights audio visual upgrades connected with an interactive queue that is being speculated to be a queue filled with games...such as the one at Soarin' that was installed in 2007.

The entire rehab is estimated at $12.3 million, according to Reedy Creek Improvement District.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Blog Entries

Re: Space Mountain Electronic Game Queue

They better find a way to tie that into space travel and being inside a space station or space port. The queue in soarin is fun, but it isn't themed to anything.

• Engine Co 71

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole View Post
    They better find a way to tie that into space travel and being inside a space station or space port. The queue in soarin is fun, but it isn't themed to anything.

What does Soarin have in it's queue area? I have been the past two years and dont remember anything interactive....maybe my memory needs to be jogged!

ONLY $12.3 million for the rehab? Not to burst anyone's bubble, but if that is truly the amount then that is NOTHING for a rehab.

Which means they are basically doing NOTHING but slapping on some new paint and updating the projection system and cues. Probably updating the computer monitoring system, and adding the load gates like at DL.

Blog Entries

That's the numbers given by RCID. Granted, I know they're the governmental arm of WDW, but I highly doubt that is the actual number. My guess is that number includes anything that had to be filed and permitted. That won't include a ton of other spending that will have to be done. WDI is very very quiet about what they're really spending. I have hope that we're going to see far more than 12 million spent on this when its all said and done.

• Californian Fox-Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by chris2fett View Post
    ...and adding the load gates like at DL.
    WDW's Space never had gates?! How did the guests manage to not fall into the tracks?! Gasp!
    Please...don't call me simmer, call me Mike Folf.
    I am a Canis Lupus Vulpes Americanis Califius, otherwise known as a Californian Folf.

"Cool shades, Mike!"

Art Tweet Comic Tube

Honestly, basic rollercoasters don't cost a whole lot, of course we'd hope they'd spend a lot on theming, but there could be $6-7 million for theming within that number.

Maybe they'll set it up to use the rest of the indoor queue they've stayed away from since the fastpass queue started. They really shouldn't have a 30 min. wait go outside of the building.

Blog Entries

The reporter from the Sentinel posted this at wdwmagic to clear up where the numbers in the report came from.

Hi,

I'm the reporter with the Orlando Sentinel covering Disney and I thought I may be able to add (a little) clarity about the $12.3 million. The figure is not based on any single permit; rather, it comes from a brief summary of the Space Mountain renovations put together by Reedy Creek's Building & Safety department for the district's Board of Supervisors.

As far as individual permit values go, the main permit for the project (for "improvements to facility, ride controls, fire alarm and guest flow") has a project value of about $8.6 million. I'm told there are another eight or so smaller permits that have been filed so far for the Space Mountain work, pushing the cumulative value to about $10.8 million, but I have not yet reviewed those permits myself.

I'm not sure where the remaining $1.5 million in Reedy Creek's total comes from -- my guess is that the difference will eventually show up in future permits, but that's just a guess. It's also possible that the overall $12.3 million figure could rise if more work is added down the road, although no one has told me one way or the other whether that's likely to happen.

As for what the amount represents, the permit figures are supposed to reflect all construction costs, including labor and materials. They typically do not reflect money spent on research or design, or on land.

Hope that helps a little bit.

Jason Garcia
    [email protected]

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Boxalarm View Post
    What does Soarin have in it's queue area? I have been the past two years and dont remember anything interactive....maybe my memory needs to be jogged!
    They added a 'game' people play in the queue. Here is the OS's coverage
    Orlando Sentinel - Soarin' queue games a hit on Tourism Central Florida
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

Quote Originally Posted by chris2fett View Post
    ONLY $12.3 million for the rehab? Not to burst anyone's bubble, but if that is truly the amount then that is NOTHING for a rehab.

Which means they are basically doing NOTHING but slapping on some new paint and updating the projection system and cues. Probably updating the computer monitoring system, and adding the load gates like at DL.
    D23 says otherwise...
    Space Mountain On-board Soundtrack Confirmed

Blog Entries

except that that says absolutely nothing about onboard audio. It says audio enhancements. You're reading too much into that post.

• Pilot EdForceOne

except that that says absolutely nothing about onboard audio. It says audio enhancements. You're reading too much into that post.
    I was going to say the same thing... except the post he is responding to is one claiming they will do nothing but paint+tweaks - not the ongoing 'onboard audio' discussions. D23 says at least new track which would invalidate chris2fett's post

Am I evil? yes, I am

Blog Entries

Except his link says on board audio confirmed.

I'm not trying to be argumentative and I really hope all the info I've heard on this turns out to be wrong. But we are not getting on board audio initially. Maybe sometime down the line.

As for the refurb, while disappointed in the lack of on board audio, I am very happy to see some of the changes coming. The new track, the darker ride, the new projections, and hopefully a much updated post show will make this nice. It may not be the cream of the crop, but hopefully it won't be the laughing stock anymore.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Except his link says on board audio confirmed.
    That's just Micechat's automatic Link renaming picking up Ridewarrior's stupid thread title - not really what the discussion was.

Am I evil? yes, I am

Blog Entries

ah, gotcha. Didn't realize that happens on here. In that case, I owe an apology.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast