Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Lonestar Louisianian

Dinner Service Above & Beyond?

Our family is headed to the World in December (first holiday-time visit ever!) and my brother and I would like to treat our parents to a nice dinner at a sit down restaurant that excels at great service. I’m talking about Victoria & Albert’s brand of service but maybe not at that price. I read up on “The California Grill” and it seems to be a bit too noisy and the service can vary wildly, so I am ruling it out for now.

I am hoping that the denizens of this happy board can offer further suggestions that I can explore; Bistro de Paris? Citricos? Yachtsman? We’re looking for someplace where the service is above and beyond the normal as well as a nice atmosphere where a couple can relax in each others presence.

So, any ideas?

Re: Dinner Service Above & Beyond?

Quote Originally Posted by NatdRat View Post
    Our family is headed to the World in December (first holiday-time visit ever!) and my brother and I would like to treat our parents to a nice dinner at a sit down restaurant that excels at great service. I’m talking about Victoria & Albert’s brand of service but maybe not at that price. I read up on “The California Grill” and it seems to be a bit too noisy and the service can vary wildly, so I am ruling it out for now.

I am hoping that the denizens of this happy board can offer further suggestions that I can explore; Bistro de Paris? Citricos? Yachtsman? We’re looking for someplace where the service is above and beyond the normal as well as a nice atmosphere where a couple can relax in each others presence.

So, any ideas?
    Jiko at AKL. Ask to sit in the wine room.

Yachtman's was also excellent on my last visit, but I think Jiko may get the nod.

Brian

• I Miss WDW

Peterhead, Scotland (i.e. Way too far away!)

Definately - Jiko.

• Hurry Baaaaaaaack!

Quote Originally Posted by NatdRat View Post

So, any ideas?
    I adore Yachtsman. Quiet atmosphere, great service, and the food is always excellent. I think it's one of the most romantic and elegant places in the World

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

A strong vote for the Bistro de Paris, one of my current favorites in the World. Very quiet, elegant without feeling stuffy, wonderful service from real French guys, and terrific food.

But I'd also like to ask you not to count out the California Grill, my all time favorite restaurant on the planet. I've never had anything close to bad service there. Sometimes it's more brusque than others, but always efficient. And sometimes it's truly spectacular, where the waiter & I just clicked, and he totally took care of me. Their signature beef tenderloin is quite simply the freshest, tastiest, tenderest cut of meat that I've ever had the pleasure of eating. And their sushi appetizers are prepared by a world class sushi artist. Ask for a table by the window with a view of the Magic Kingdom and the Seven Seas Lagoon. And if you time it right you can enjoy the nightly MK fireworks, either from your table or outside on the balcony with the music piped in. A totally magical experience, one that I try to enjoy at least once a year!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

California Grill was horrid. I wouldn't recommend it for the amount they charge.

If you are looking for somewhere nice to go, go to Le Cellier.
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

Quote Originally Posted by OogieBoogie View Post
    California Grill was horrid. I wouldn't recommend it for the amount they charge.

If you are looking for somewhere nice to go, go to Le Cellier.
    So, I guess I gotta come back to that post with. . . ummmm. . . COMPLETE CRAP!!!

OogieBoogie, I don't deny that you had a bad experience at the CG. I can't really imagine that happening, but I do believe you that it happened. I only say, for the sake of this thread, that our experiences vastly differ, and I've had nothing but spectacular experiences at the California Grill, and that I've been up there about once a year for the past 15 years.

I'd really love to hear, though, what went wrong with your visit? And reading my own post back, boy, does it sound snarky!!! And I didn't mean it that way. What went wrong?

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Le Cellier has NOTHING on Ca Grill. I love Le Cellier but CA Grill is in a different class - food-wise and ambiance-wise too. Wonderful cheese plate too

I aven't been to any others mentioned so I can't comment on those.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    Le Cellier has NOTHING on Ca Grill.
    The same can be said about WDW as a whole.. they have nothing on DLR. I would personally go to California over the stale "World".

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    The same can be said about WDW as a whole.. they have nothing on DLR. I would personally go to California over the stale "World".
    Great post - very helpful to the OP who was looking for a nice restaurant in WDW.

California Grill is good but a hair more casual.

The best service I have had was at Yachtsman Steak House, Schula's Steak House and Artist Point. Don't know that it is V&A good as I have not tried that place.

• Another trip down I-4

If you're really looking for more of the personalized service, I'd say go just outside the World and go to the Venetian Room over inside the Caribe Royal. It's usually mentioned along with V&A's as the standard 'old-school fine dining' type.

Alternatively, I've heard good things about Tokyo Dining - if your parents like sushi, that is.

Personally, I'm partial to eating something small on a bench in the middle of a little-known path so I can enjoy my time at my pace, so I may not be the best judge of this.

•   
    • Main Street VIPs

Several years ago, after expressing our frustration at not being able to get a PS for Le Cellier, our concierge at Caribbean Beach recommended Yachtsman Steak House. We enjoyed a very quiet, romantic dinner with great steaks and first class service. I would definitely recommend it to the OP based on his criteria.

BTW, in a very magical moment, the concierge at CB called us after our meal to ask us how we liked it!
    Rick

• Another trip down I-4

I wanted to add on that I had lovely service at Chefs de France a couple months ago - it can be crowded, but I had such a lovely waitress and experience with the chef working around my allergy that I would trade all the 'fine dining' for that level of attentiveness again.

• Diamond Edition

If you are looking for someplace quiet (meaning few children or stupid adults around), then you want to avoid most theme park restaurants. I have never eaten at Bistro de Paris, but have heard great things and I also hear its quiet. I've eaten at The Brown Derby at Disney's Hollywood Studios and have only had one noisy experience there. It's typically quiet.

I must say that to avoid noise, you pretty much have to pay for pricier food. I went to Citricos for Valentine's day and I didn't pay, so I have no idea what the prices were, but that was a nice and quiet restaurant. It is also at The Grand Floridian.

Its been so long since I've eaten at California Grille, but I remember really liking it. However, that restaurant can get noisy, especially close to the time of Magic Kingdom's fireworks show. A lot of people book reservations there just for the view of the fireworks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast