Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Stitch show closing?

Quote Originally Posted by a_shy_kid View Post
    hopefully they'll make some good use out of the area they invested so much into.
    The problem is, whichever dummy thought up the shadeless, seatless viewing space, kinda forgot about the Florida sun, which tends to induce a burning sensation for at least half the year, and also forgot the Florida rains, which happen rather frequently during the same period. At the same time, they tore down a perfectly good, shaded (and underutilised) theater with seats a few feet away, so someone could park their car there (very necessary, I'm sure, because given the limited acreage of WDW, they couldn't possibly have parked anywhere else). So now they will either have to limit the times when there can be a show, or invest even more into fixing these flaws. As MK couldn't have used that money elsewhere...

PS just to avoid confusion...I am being sarcastic when referring to "limited acreage."
    Last edited by tasman; 06-17-2009 at 07:04 PM.
    Down with the Hat

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by a_shy_kid View Post
    well at least they realized this soon enough.
    hopefully they'll make some good use out of the area they invested so much into.

i feel bad for stitch...he's definitely one of my most favorite of all disney characters but he just always seems to be used for such not so great shows/attractions....if only he could catch a break, haha.

pity! darn the suits + their attempt to profit off of him.

:/
    Well, at TDL, the "Find Stitch" special event parade was a great fun and colorful event and from what I have heard, the Stitch summer event at HKDL is quite cute. Not all is a loss with Stitch. The problem at WDW is..everything they do, they do it cheaply and those in charge of producing these shows don't seem too talented nor inspired.

• Banned User

Now to be fair... I do like the "Celebrate it" show and parade. There is hope for the MK but I am expecting cutbacks there as well.

Well that didn't take too long. Can't say I am too surprised though the show was really bad. Does anyone know if this is a new record for quickest show/attraction getting canned?

• Diamond Edition

Actually, I believe the Tomorrowland High School Musical show had a shorter run. I never saw it, but I hear it was quite different from the Pep Rally that ended up at the Studios and that it was really really bad.

As for Stitch attractions typically being sub par, I don't think it is necessarily a reflection of the characters not lending themselves well to park attractions and events, since the Find Stitch! event at Tokyo Disneyland and the Hong Kong Disneyland event both pleased guests and looked entertaining (based on videos and photos I have seen).

I think the problem is mainly what Disney has chosen to do with the characters in the parks. Changing Alien Encounter into a Stitch experience in the same style looked good on paper, but did not translate into an enjoyable attraction. I have not seen the Stitch version of TDL's Tiki Room, but it seems the lesson that Disney needs to learn is to not insert Disney characters into that attraction anywhere (Under New Management, anyone?).

As a big Stitch fan, it would be nice to oneday see a Stitch attraction that is entertaining and will last a long time. I agree that Disney World seems to be exceptionally lazy when it comes to new entertainment offerings at the Magic Kingdom, in terms of attractions, shows, and parades (although I do enjoy the street party and current version of the 8 year old parade). Hopefully they do something I can be proud of in the near future so I can stop being ashamed of it everytime I visit Disneyland, who seems to do everything 10 times better.

• Irrational Mr. Toad Fan

Quote Originally Posted by goofystitch View Post
    Actually, I believe the Tomorrowland High School Musical show had a shorter run.
    Nope, High School Musical lasted from September '06 - January '07.

Blog Entries

There's been discussion of this over at wdwmagic for about a week. All the rumors there indicate that the closure is temporary, however it is closing due to its poor reception. There's been talk of lighting upgrades, seating, shade canopies, and reworking the show so it can show at night (in cooler weather) and so that those shows in the day will entice more people.

Personally I'd rather they just close the whole thing. Its garishly ugly anyhow. This is what happens when you don't allow WDI into the planning phases of an attraction at all.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Now to be fair... I do like the "Celebrate it" show and parade. There is hope for the MK but I am expecting cutbacks there as well.
    Yeah, the new parades are good. I hear the Pixar Block Party wasn't exactly new, but it was new to me, and very entertaining.

I missed the Stitch show, but it looks like I didn't miss much. As for SGE, I went to that show for the first time in May. I was hoping it would be better than people say it is, but nope. It is just as bad as they say. Loved the AAs, though. At least they did a great job on those.

• I'll Break your Thumbs!!

My spy sources inform me there is a very strong possibility the new Stitch show in Tomorrowland will close permanently very soon, due to poor reception from guests. Only a rumor at this time...
    God I would love if they closed the ride as well. What an abomination that Stitch Encounter ride is!! If someone in management has a half... no a quarter of a brain, they will bring back Alien Encounter!!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Parisi View Post
    God I would love if they closed the ride as well. What an abomination that Stitch Encounter ride is!! If someone in management has a half... no a quarter of a brain, they will bring back Alien Encounter!!
    parisi, the Stitch encounter is NOT a ride. It's a theater show/presentation.

parisi, the Stitch encounter is NOT a ride. It's a theater show/presentation.
    You know what I mean!! Ride. Show. Experience. Whatever it wants to bill itself as, it needs to close!!!

• Diamond Edition

It does need to close, but I also don't want Alien Encounter back. What an awful attraction to put in the Magic Kingdom. Guest Relations received more complaints over that than any ride in the history of the park. It really belonged at the Studios.

Personally, I would like to see them gut the two theaters and attached gift shops and turn that space into a ride. They could do a Monster's Inc. ride, similar to at DCA and TDL. Of course, then the Laugh Floor would probably leave because then the Monsters would dominate Tomorrowland, but I'd rather have a ride than a show. Or, since a new Tron movie is on the way, they could probably do something cool with that (but not the Tron tunel on the People Mover).

• A Beautiful Tomorrow!

Actually, I believe the Tomorrowland High School Musical show had a shorter run. I never saw it, but I hear it was quite different from the Pep Rally that ended up at the Studios and that it was really really bad.
    It certainly was awful....
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhzlHCqe87I]YouTube - Chris in High School Musical[/ame]

And DCA's was not
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF6SnGsgGaE]YouTube - Disneys California Adventure - High School Musical Pep Rally[/ame]

I dont really see how shade can be a problem, as Dream Along With Mickey has no shade in its tree less hub, except for a few on the sides. Overall though something like Tomorrowland Terrace at DL would be better fit for the area.
    "We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." Walt Disney

It does need to close, but I also don't want Alien Encounter back. What an awful attraction to put in the Magic Kingdom. Guest Relations received more complaints over that than any ride in the history of the park. It really belonged at the Studios.

Personally, I would like to see them gut the two theaters and attached gift shops and turn that space into a ride. They could do a Monster's Inc. ride, similar to at DCA and TDL. Of course, then the Laugh Floor would probably leave because then the Monsters would dominate Tomorrowland, but I'd rather have a ride than a show. Or, since a new Tron movie is on the way, they could probably do something cool with that (but not the Tron tunel on the People Mover).
    Anything related to a Disney/pixar movie that currently resides in tomorrowland should be moved to the studios. Tomorrowland was created for the sole purpose of showcasing rides/shows/attractions from the future. It was not meant to showcase Pixar based rides or shows. Now that the studios has Pixar place, they really should move Buzz Lightyear and MILF to the studios and concentrate on fixing tomorrowland.

• Fortuosity!

You'd be surprised how little space is there (Martin from wdwmagic.com had an excellent diagram of that building), it was custom built for Flight to the Moon and any attraction in that space would have to be a theater in the round type show to move crowds efficiently. Getting rid of the shop really wouldn't add space either.

Since that type of theater is rare for Disney attractions I'd like to keep it and I'm sure there are plenty of ideas that could be used in the existing space.
    I like The Happiest Millionaire. What's wrong with that?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast