Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Stitch show closing?

That old HSM show would have been much better had they used 24K's "Don't Go There" song.

• SpitSpot!

I still cannot fathom why they spent all that money on a show that is "meh"? It seems Disney has a very cool technology that they want to showcase, but still cannot figure out the how.
    "First of all I would like to make one thing perfectly clear.
    I never explain anything." Mary Poppins
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/26132873@N00/

• Diamond Edition

Parisi, the concept of what Tomorrowland is has changed. I think a good example of this is the fact that none of the original Tomorrowland attractions from Disneyland even exist today. And the rides that were added, such as Autopia and Submarine Voyage, weren't incredibly future focused. Nowadays, a Tomorrowland attraction is something that has to do with space or characters from space... or not, in the case of the Monsters Inc. attractions in two different Tomorrowlands. My first trip to Disney World was in 1989. How was Delta Dreamflight, an omnimover about the history of aviation, from the future? Even the People Mover was rethemed from the "transportation of the future" to simply "transportation throughout modern Tomorrowland" when it became the Tomorrowland Transit Authority. Tomorrowland has become a sort of space port where creatures from around the cosmos meet up. When the Imagineers changed the look of Tomorrowland in the 90's, they changed the story along with it. Next time you are there, read the signs and posters throughout the land. And read the robot news boys paper too.

So maybe Monsters Inc. isn't the most thematically fitting attraction in the land, but that doesn't mean that all Pixar attractions need to go to Pixar Place. Especially not when they are popular in the Magic Kingdom. That's like saying that all attraction based on Disney films need to be moved to Magic Kingdom. Disney owns Pixar and its characters and there is nothing wrong with spreading attractions based on their films throughout all of the parks, rather than confining them to just one. It even makes more sense financially, since Pixar proporties are so lucritive and people will want to experience those attractions. If they were all in one park, those people might not buy park hoppers, but would instead just visit the one park.

Angie_Duke, thats interesting about the building and I agree that it would be sad to see that form of Disney attraction go, but I can't think of anything better they can do with that space, and apparently, neither can Disney. The last time Disney updated Tomorrowland, when they changed the story of it so they could stop having to retheme it, they had an idea for that space, which was Alien Encounter. But that idea backfired and now they are left with a dud of attraction. In Disneyland, the building previously used by Flight to the Moon and Mission to Mars is now Red Rocket's Pizza Port, a quick-service restaurant. I guess we are lucky that the Magic Kingdom has so many quick-service restaurants that three of them are closed most of the year, but if the suits ever decide to do a Tomorrowland table service restaurant, I have a feeling that we know where it will be.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ragrobyn View Post
    I still cannot fathom why they spent all that money on a show that is "meh"? It seems Disney has a very cool technology that they want to showcase, but still cannot figure out the how.
    Can I ask what is your definition of "all that money" you talk about? Because it is quite clear they did not spend enough money in any aspect of this show, and to me.. that includes the cheap stage. Using video technology is really not that expensive. Now.. if they had a multi-leveled 3-tiered stage, with embroided fiber optic lights all over it, a cast of over 45 dancers and couple of dozen characters, stage elevators that drop performers and show props in and out of view of the audience, and costuming that really shines for it's well detailed and imaginative design... (like they feature in the seasonal/temporary castle stage shows do at Tokyo Disneyland) then I would say... "REALLY!!! THE SHAME!!!" but for Disney standards? this show was cheap to produced and ill-conceived in the first place. I much rather go see the drags at the Footlight Theater at Parliament House in Orlando.. REALLY!!!

I still can't get over the fact the tore down the Galaxy Palace Theater for that little platform.

• Crazy Furry

Once again, good riddence to the show. Sadly we can't say the same to SGE just yet.

It's a bummer that anything Stitch in the MK has turned into a failure, Supersonic celebration failed to be an entertaining show and SGE fails to be a decent show. At least Alien Encounter was a decent show, and succeeded what it was set out to do.
    Disney and Universal fan for life!...Shocking ain't it?
    Seize the future with X-S! Not Stitch.
    I'm not crazy, now if you will excuse me I have tea time with the ghosts at Haunted Mansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Magic View Post
    I still can't get over the fact the tore down the Galaxy Palace Theater for that little platform.
    The reason they tore down GPT was to add extra backstage parking. They rarely used GPT other than during christmas time so that is why they took it down. It will be interesting where the christmas show will go (if it will still be done) this year. I am not sure that they can perform it on the stitch stage so idk if they will be doing it this year.

• Diamond Edition

The rumor is that Mickey's Twas the Night Before Christmas will be going to Disney's Hollywood Studios at the Premier Theater (where the Hunchback show was) and that it will become part of their normal holiday festivities along with the Osbourne Spectacle of Dancing Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by goofystitch View Post
    The rumor is that Mickey's Twas the Night Before Christmas will be going to Disney's Hollywood Studios at the Premier Theater (where the Hunchback show was) and that it will become part of their normal holiday festivities along with the Osbourne Spectacle of Dancing Lights.
    If that is true, DHS is definatley going to be one festive park!

the overall design of the stage and viewing area was a failure from the beginning and they should have realized that.

Why would anyone think that an open air stage with no seating in one of the most humid and hottest areas of the country would be a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    the overall design of the stage and viewing area was a failure from the beginning and they should have realized that.

Why would anyone think that an open air stage with no seating in one of the most humid and hottest areas of the country would be a good idea.
    Exactly.

TBH, with the way it is open air like that, I don't see how they can put seating in for a new show w/o it taking up a ton of the walk way. I know they will figure something out for a new show, but it just seems like however they do it it will be tight.

• Not here to help

The guys over at disboards semed to love the show...
    Perhaps the show is liked by the typical WDW visitor?
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Banned User

Timmy, by typical WDW visitors, you mean tourists who accept anything Disney puts on their plate? I guess then it would be a resounding yes.
    Last edited by MickeyMaxx; 06-21-2009 at 11:07 AM.

• May the F=ma be with you

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    The same people who designed and built the castle stage? The argument you are making is quite silly.

I didn't visit the MK when I was there last week, so I didn't see the show. Although my opinion may not be as valid since I saw it on video, I do not think the show is awful. I like the "Power Ranger" costumes and the fact that Stitch makes an appearance. I'm also quite surprised they paid a tech to put some pyro on the roof.
    That said, I wouldn't go out of my way to see the show in person, but if I pass by while it is running, I would stop and watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

• Diamond Edition

The show looks better on YouTube than it does in person. When I saw it, with a pretty full audience, the only people who seemed to enjoy it were kids younger than 6. When they would try to get audience interaction, such as clapping hands or call and response, most people didn't participate. In comparison, at Dream Along With Mickey, a lot of people join them in chanting "Dreams Come True."

I also found the fireworks at the end to be really silly because when you are in the viewing area for the show, the top of the stage is so high that you don't see them. You hear them and look up in time to see smoke, but you miss the actual spectacle in the same way that Disney missed their mark with this show. So the people who get to see that part of the show are passersby at a distance glancing over at the right time to see what the hullabaloo is about.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast